How to remove speedo drive gear?

-

71 360 scamp

Reaction score
So i bought the car 2 years ago, the speedometer never worked. Finally got around to putting a new cable in but nothing happened.
So now im going to try replacing the speedo drive gear, but i do not know how to get it apart. Any help would be appreciated.

Here's a picture of where i am.

2n99b9u.jpg

Looks like the keeper was removed ( or it wasn't there ). The assembly should pull straight out.
It is eccentric and rotates to different positions for different diameter gears. mark it before removal.

Oh, so i just have to grab it and pull it straight out? (I removed the keeper right before the photo)

Yes, but note where it's clocked so you put it in the same way if you are using the same gear numerically. There is an O ring that's in there and providing some resistance.

Probably stuck. Might use a screwdriver/ hammer to gently tap in one of the slots to turn the housing and loosen it up. Then screw the speedo cable back on, and use pliers to wiggle it out.

ok so i just pulled it out and was shot with a ton of transmission fluid. Is that normal?

Always jack it up on the drivers side only when doing this....Then you will get minimal trans fluid leakage....A little late now....

Looks like the keeper was removed ( or it wasn't there ). The assembly should pull straight out.
It is eccentric and rotates to different positions for different diameter gears. mark it before removal.

I know ahh, someone who didn't know to do this when he replaced his speedometer cable. How would I tell him to correct it?
images

Rotate the assembly to engage the gear teeth. I think most of them will land on one of the hash marks.

I guess I should've read this article before I replaced my speedo gear. How the hell do you clock the gear after the fact. I went from a 40 tooth gear to a 33 tooth gear for my gear change from 3.91 to 3.23.

I guess I should've read this article before I replaced my speedo gear. How the hell do you clock the gear after the fact. I went from a 40 tooth gear to a 33 tooth gear for my gear change from 3.91 to 3.23.
I think that info is in factory service manuals. X number of teeth to X number of teeth go at which hash mark.

easy it the gear count as pictured. Good time to replace the oil seal also.
speedopinionadapter.jpg
img_9499-png.png

View attachment 1715449033View attachment 1715449034
I did see the numbers on the
View attachment 1715449033View attachment 1715449034
I did see the numbers on the adapter that I thought referred to tooth count. I don't remember seeing 3 sets of numbers......I'll get under there again to take a look. Since I went from a 40 tooth to a 34 tooth I will need to line up the correct space but line it up to what? I didn't see any reference line to line up to on the trans or in that picture.

Numbers go to the 6 oclock or straight down. Don't over think it

..primed an engine once without the psi gauge in it....took it right between the eyes!
Lucky, i got it right up the nose! That was some bullshit right there....:mad:

You can turn the housing up into the spiral gear and feel it touch, then back it down to closest numbers at 6:00 tally mark. The smaller tooth count are smaller diameter geats so figure rotation direction out.

Edit: the spiral gear is on top (upper left for optics ) so you can see where the gear is by the offset of the housing. start with threads at bottom largest numbers at 3:00 and turn it clockwise to raise gear into spiral output shaft .

Last edited:
There is a little nub on the bottom at 6:00. This is lined up between the two numbers that u need. U can tell that it’s in the right place as u install the clamp. Kim

It was pretty easy getting the old gear out. The old gear is shot so i'll have to get another 40 tooth gear when I go back to the 3.91's eventually. put it all back together and tested out just to see if the speedo moves. Fired the car up and put it in gear while in the air and the speedo was moving. Won't know how accurate it is till spring though. On to the next winter project. Clean up the trunk area and detail it.

-
Back