How to repair the horn switch on a de luxe model

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
So some of the de luxe models of Mopars in the '70s and '80s had a large horn switch with a wood-grain inlay in the switch's vinyl cover. The switch consisted of a concave sheet metal base that attaches to the steering wheel; the base is covered by thin perforated foam in the center, and over the foam goes a concave brass plate that has little teeth that contact the sheet metal base through the perforations in the foam when you push on the vinyl covering.

I can post a picture if necessary.

When the foam dries out and fails to insulate the brass plate from the metal base, the horn stays on all the time.

Would anybody have any suggestions about how to repair a horn switch like this?

Thanks a lot.

What year and model? Sounds like you just need a new horn button. I don think I have ever heard of anyone repairing them.

You should probably post a photo or two.
Here you go. This horn switch was used on Adventurer SE, Sportsman SE, etc. The vinyl cover had a big wood-grain inlay, which apparently Chrysler thought was really spiffy. Mopar part no. 4019251.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Here you go. This horn switch was used on Adventurer SE, Sportsman SE, etc. The vinyl cover had a big wood-grain inlay, which apparently Chrysler thought was really spiffy. Mopar part no. 4019251.

View attachment 1715543713

View attachment 1715543714
Ahh that makes sense now. I have never owned a van. You might want to try on For Trucks Only. The link is at the bottom of this page.You will probably still need a new/different cover but may be someone has repaired them.

Thanks, motorpirate and Professor Fate! I got some cloth-backed headliner foam. Should work just fine.

This fancy horn switch was used on all vehicles that had a tilt steering wheel. It requires the use of a horn relay because the switch can't handle as much current as the standard P/N 2822126 switch can. The FSM shows a horn relay as used only with the tilt wheel, but a relay was really used in all vehicles that had the upscale horn switch.

-
Back