how to roll rear fender lips

-

Steven190

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of ways to do this. What is a good way to roll the rear fenders?

Should I tape the lip, then cut about an 1/2" off. Then use a body hammer to roll the lips on the flat section. Or is it best just to hammer the whole lip over?

You'll have a hard time just rolling the whole quarter lip. Remember that the quarter lip is doubled up, it's the quarter and also the wheel tub, and those are spot welded together for the entire lip. The spot welds are about a 1/2" in from the edge. What I would do is located the spot welds, then trim the lip down to the edge of the spot welds (so the tub and the quarter stay attached), and then fold the lip over from there. You'll need to use a hammer and dolly to keep from distorting the quarters.

OK

I just need to roll the flat section above the tire. Left side fit the tire, the right is into the tire.

Thanks

Help! How much space gained by rolling fender lips on '70 Dart?

Rear: before and after. took lots of hits not relatively strong and worked the lip from the center out. Also used this sheet metal pliers from Habor Freight that I ground the edges down round to remove the sharp point on the ends.

attachment.php

attachment.php

7878775-image_13705a-jpg.1714878701

Thanks a lot for the tips! I bought the pliers ($12 on Amazon) and getting some basic hammer and dolly set. Hoping I can make those new wheels fit on my '69 Dart. I'll post some pics.

Thanks a lot for the tips! I bought the pliers ($12 on Amazon) and getting some basic hammer and dolly set. Hoping I can make those new wheels fit on my '69 Dart. I'll post some pics.
in answer to the op,, vewy carefuwee

not sure if this works with actual cars with fenders made out of actual metal...but it seemed to work well with this dinkietoy

Darts don't have round wheel-arches in the rear fenders.
i realize that, but with the width of that roller, i figured it would be possible to still roll the lip
(not to mention the adjustment in the arm)

I have one of those rollers, pretty sure that's the same Eastwood made version I have.

They roll fenders just fine, you can develop enough force to actually push the whole fender out. Rolling the lip is no problem. The non-round wheel openings mean you have to adjust the length of the arm as you go, but it's easy.

The quarter lips in the back would be more difficult, the doubled up layers and spot welds between the quarter skin and outer wheel house would make life a lot harder. I think you'd have to do some prep work on the quarter seam to make it easier to roll before using that style of roller. Totally doable, you just might have to start the bending with a hammer and dolly and then smooth it out with the roller.

-
Back