How to ruin a classic muscle car era Mopar

-
Did he make ANY passes on it? It’s a SHOW car. If it was for real, that Gen III would be sitting next to a dumpster.

Day 2 is what I like. All the love for the “modern” stuff is just fluff. The brakes don’t stop a car. Never have. The tires do.

I watched a congressional hearing when I was a kid. The worthless politicians drug some guy from GM up before them like the gods they think they are, to rail on him about how shitty GM’s brakes were and that they wouldn’t stop a car. I don’t recall now but I’d bet that moron Ralph Nader had a hand in it. Anyway, after he took some crap for a while, he finally got sick of it and interrupted them. And then he told them the brakes don’t stop the car. The tires do. Stone silence.

Then as worthless politicians do, they ignored the fact and went about their time and money wasting.

A coil over or strut front end doesn’t drive any better than torsion bars that are set up correctly.

“New” isn’t always better. A NA G3 Hemi isn’t impressive. Seen that many times. Put a pump on it and it’s better.

It’s amazing that all the young guys who think new **** is always better because it’s new need to slow down and do some learning.

he has run the car multiple times down the track across the country.... I think the car was built back in 2007

Did he make ANY passes on it? It’s a SHOW car. If it was for real, that Gen III would be sitting next to a dumpster.

Day 2 is what I like. All the love for the “modern” stuff is just fluff. The brakes don’t stop a car. Never have. The tires do.

I watched a congressional hearing when I was a kid. The worthless politicians drug some guy from GM up before them like the gods they think they are, to rail on him about how shitty GM’s brakes were and that they wouldn’t stop a car. I don’t recall now but I’d bet that moron Ralph Nader had a hand in it. Anyway, after he took some crap for a while, he finally got sick of it and interrupted them. And then he told them the brakes don’t stop the car. The tires do. Stone silence.

Then as worthless politicians do, they ignored the fact and went about their time and money wasting.

A coil over or strut front end doesn’t drive any better than torsion bars that are set up correctly.

“New” isn’t always better. A NA G3 Hemi isn’t impressive. Seen that many times. Put a pump on it and it’s better.

It’s amazing that all the young guys who think new **** is always better because it’s new need to slow down and do some learning.
I'm a day 2 fan as well, except I have to research it since I wasn't born yet lol. I'd put a big block in a new challenger any day along with strip 2 thousand pounds out of it. Tub it & all that.

Oh please. How many factory 840 hp cars did they build back in the 70’s? How many 840hp big blocks you see being daily driven? I understand the nostalgia, but the technology is so much better now you’ve got no argument.

On the tires note you’re somewhat correct, the best brakes in the world won’t help if you run lousy tires. But the opposite is true too, if you run great tires with 70’s era drum brakes you won’t stop for crap either.

Which is exactly the argument for more modern tires, which means larger diameter rims, which also gets you to larger brakes. All works together. If you think a set of factory 10” drums will outstop the 13” disks I run with 275/35/18’s you’re nuts. If you want to stay with 15’s because they fit your nostalgic sense of style with these cars that’s fine, but that won’t give you the best performance. Which is also fine, your car. But if you want to know why people run modern tires, larger diameter wheels and big brakes, it’s because they work better.

Anyone who talks down on the modern engines is well.......

The shop next to me builds high end race engines. He has a brand new dyno cell. I get the pleasure of watching lots of 1000, 1,500, HP engines make pulls.

A modern LS or Hemi can make 1000 HP easy. Turn up the boost up the injector size and you are done.

It can run on 91 pump and it will last for ever.

I have seen him turn out high dollar push rod engines as well. They dont make near the power at the same price point.

I think a push rod v8 looks awesome. The new engines have no soul but the sure do stay together, they dont leak oil and they make power.

To me some of the ugliest crap I have seen was the 70s/80s/90s custom builds or "trends" that were happening in the automotive world. Then 2k came and guys have blowers out the hood, 18" rims and neon lights under the car, we call them "confused cars". Guys have been doing ugly *** **** (in my opinion) to their cars forever all in the name of "art" etc. and it will never stop. To me its really hard to understand how so many people now days think its cool to have a car sound like a fart or pop/backfire every time you let of the gas. But then I remember opening up a magazine and seeing this, guess they were the inspiration for things to come.
images (1).jpg

Last edited:
I still love the sound and smell of my old carbed, low geared V8 Mopars. My toys. Love 'em.
Practical today? Maybe not. Practical back in 1970? Yea!!
Gotta go take my meds.

As far as modern engines go that's a topic that's been beat to death. They made big hp and went 9s on junk tires/suspension (compared to technology now) in the early 70' so shouldn't we at least be where we are at today?. Should we have more refined stuff some 30+ years later?, well yes, and if you look at where performance was over 30 years ago we are way behind.

I heard somewhere that all the truly big break through innovations in performance were long ago, all we have done since is refine what was already there. I think that goes for allot of thing's in life, the Apollo 11 landed on the moon with a computer less powerful than my phone, and my phone can't even function properly most days.

As far as building cars build whatever you want, just don't get offended when other people think its ugly.

Dodge Scatpack bumblebee stripes on Plymouths! Duster side stripes on Demons and Dart Sports! Brand X hood scoops on any Mopar! Rallye wheels on pre-70 cars! Said before but black engine compartments on non-black cars!!! How about speckle-painted trunks in Mopars? Aarrgghh!!

:mob:

A friend of mine loses his mind when he sees a Mopar with GM door-lock buttons. I laugh when he does that.

Everyone has a pet-peeve that makes their head explode..... YMMV.
What is so wrong about rallye wheels on a pre ‘70 Mopar ? Yes I know they didn’t come from factory with them.

Oh please. How many factory 840 hp cars did they build back in the 70’s? How many 840hp big blocks you see being daily driven? I understand the nostalgia, but the technology is so much better now you’ve got no argument.

On the tires note you’re somewhat correct, the best brakes in the world won’t help if you run lousy tires. But the opposite is true too, if you run great tires with 70’s era drum brakes you won’t stop for crap either.

Which is exactly the argument for more modern tires, which means larger diameter rims, which also gets you to larger brakes. All works together. If you think a set of factory 10” drums will outstop the 13” disks I run with 275/35/18’s you’re nuts. If you want to stay with 15’s because they fit your nostalgic sense of style with these cars that’s fine, but that won’t give you the best performance. Which is also fine, your car. But if you want to know why people run modern tires, larger diameter wheels and big brakes, it’s because they work better.

Aint a single NA G3 hemi out there at 840. At least do me the courtesy of reading what I posted. And IF they do claim that HP they don’t MPH like it.

I stay with 15 inch wheels because I don’t care about going around corners. I can use the sidewall.

The shop next to me builds high end race engines. He has a brand new dyno cell. I get the pleasure of watching lots of 1000, 1,500, HP engines make pulls.

A modern LS or Hemi can make 1000 HP easy. Turn up the boost up the injector size and you are done.

I have seen him turn out high dollar push rod engines as well. They dont make near the power at the same price point.

I think a push rod v8 looks awesome. The new engines have no soul but the sure do stay together, they dont leak oil and they make power.

I said NA. NA. NA. I can put a hair dryer or a hose to any decent V8 and get the same results and the “modern” engines. Jesus.

Like this?

View attachment 1715867920

I litterly have everything done to this car that folks here listed as not liking.

Stickers, check.
Stink bug look, check.
Big *** wing, check
One million gauges, check.
Ford rear end, check.

When I built that car it was not built for sale. That was "my" car. I built it just for me. The entire car was fitted to me.
Everything about it was exactly what I wanted.

The strange thing is this. That will probably be the LAST time I build a car "just for me".

I always worried about not being able to sell it because it was so much "my car".

Lucky my dad decided he wanted it and is now dealing with all the problems of biuying a car that is such a one trick pony.

So did I ruin that dart?

Well yeah kinda but I set out to ruin it from day one. And It's only ruined if you plan to be in the car for more than 15 min. Other than that its perfect. (To me)

:)
Love your one trick pony. Totally BA!

Flat head guys probably said the same thing about modern engines at some point.

Uhhmmm, GenIII Hemis & LS engines ARE pushrod V-8's Dude.....

To me some of the ugliest crap I have seen was the 70s/80s/90s custom builds or "trends" that were happening in the automotive world. Then 2k came and guys have blowers out the hood, 18" rims and neon lights under the car, we call them "confused cars". Guys have been doing ugly *** **** (in my opinion) to their cars forever all in the name of "art" etc. and it will never stop. To me its really hard to understand how so many people now days think its cool to have a car sound like a fart or pop/backfire every time you let of the gas. But then I remember opening up a magazine and seeing this, guess they were the inspiration for things to come.
View attachment 1715868508
I don't know how old You are, but blowers sticking out of hoods starting after Y2k? You must be dizzy.....I hated Rick Dobberton's J2000, tried a run at the strip & managed 13's, lol!!!

Just so there's no misunderstanding, I have a lot of respect for the planning, hard work, & quality of execution in Dobberton's effort.....but it exemplified the impotent redundant excess of form over function to the extreme..that I hate..

I said NA. NA. NA. I can put a hair dryer or a hose to any decent V8 and get the same results and the “modern” engines. Jesus.
The GenIII Hemi isn't a Hemi, & it is a superior engine for it, & there is ample evidence of it's ability NA. It also has superior design features in cam tunnel size/placement, block structure/rigidity etc.
There isn't one Engine Masters challenge participant that wouldn't choose a GenIII over a GenII to start with given that choice. Fact.
Whether one feels it belongs in a "classic" is entirely subjective as individuals. Would I put a new one in place of an orig one in a real classic Hemi car? Hell no, but that's ME, & as strongly as I may feel 'bout it,....if it ain't Mine then the owner can do what they please..

I don't know how old You are, but blowers sticking out of hoods starting after Y2k? You must be dizzy.....I hated Rick Dobberton's J2000, tried a run at the strip & managed 13's, lol!!!
What I actually said was seeing cars with blowers AND big wheels AND neon lights under the chassis. Around here that didn't become a thing until 2000 or so, I guess your results may vary. And I guess you didn't figure out the fact that I don't like poser cars, maybe you were dizzy and lacked reading comprehension?.

-
Back