How to scrap a car?

-

danmc77

Reaction score
I have a 70 Dart that I've picked through, and now I'm ready to scrap. The car has all panels, but is very rusty. it has the full interior minus the front bench seat (actually, I'll most likely just toss that back in the car to be scrapped as well). It also still hs the entire /6 drivetrain minus the tranny. No front bumper or grille, and no glass.

Is it worth me renting a trailer to take this to a scrap yard with current scrap prices? Or should I just call someone to come pick it up for free and call it a wash?

I've never scrapped a car before, and don't know if I can make some $ on it or just be happy to not have to pay someone to take it.

Around here, I just call up a guy and tell'em what I have going. I make a note that I don't want a dime from it, it's all his period. Theres several guys that hunt metal for scrap. The recent rise in price makes it easy to get rid of.

When metal wasn't so high, I'd have to wait a few days or dangle some bucks in there face. I had a regular guy that would come over and chew the fat and break some bread with me. (He he he That in itself was a pay off. LOL)
For me, towing or draging a car to the recylce center is not an option.

So you're saying just see if I can get someone to haul it away? There's no $ in taking it to a yard myself and selling it for scrap?

what is left off the 1/4 panels? and floors?
Not much. the Quarters have been repaired over the years, and while they are there, the bottoms are crumbling, old bondo. The drivers floor is not there, but the rest of the floor is pretty solid actually. I've only opened the trunk a couple of times, but I think the trunk floor is solid too.

Scrap metal prices have dropped since this summer. May not be as easy to get rid of....any trinkets...ie small parts that someone here might need?

You could try putting it on Craigslist, so of the local guys might be able to use it. I've made some excellent local contacts by advertising it locally and you might get just a littel cash for it too.

Scrap metal prices have dropped since this summer. May not be as easy to get rid of....any trinkets...ie small parts that someone here might need?
I was hoping that I would have been able to salvage more myself, but this car is too far gone.
Things it still has:
vinyl top trim - good condition (actually, I think one peice has a dent)
rear windshield trim - good condition
Front windshield trim - good condition
interior a-pillar trim (B5 blue?) - good condition
blue seat belts - dirty, but I'm pretty sure they're not rusty.
front bench seat - complete, blue, but rusty driver's track
rear seat - blue
glass - doors, driver's quarter, rear
maybe a couple blue armrests and bases- good condition
MAYBE a door panel or two - decent condition, blue
dash frame
rear marker lights
unbroken driver's tail lens - needs repaint
rear valance - looks straight, but I'd have to see if it's been repaired
blue, plastic seat belt clips to hold the shoulder belt (I think 2 on each side).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'd have to take a closer look - I just didn't want to pull all the little stuff because I figured most of it was junk.

Dan,

Pull off all the decent pieces and throw them up for sale. I know that sometimes shipping the stuff sucks, but it's better than the scrappers will do... crush it and not look back.

Wish you were closer as you have a few large items, like the front rear seat I'd love to get from you. Always the way it goes though.

Get some pics of the arm rests, a pillar trim and tail light lens. I'm interested in that stuff.

ok - I'll get some pics of the car and what parts are left - then I'll list it in the for sale section if anybody is interested. as for the rest of the car, I'll just have to call around and see if anybody will take it off my hands - or I'll just have to bite the bullet and rent a trailor and take it there myself.

Thanks for the help guys!

Crackedback - i'll take pics of what you asked and PM them to you later tonight.

Pull off everything small and easy to get to, then list it for sale - you never know. As for the rest, you have a few choices.

1. Look in the newspaper classifieds and find a "Wanted Junk Cars" ad. Sometimes they might pay a little for one, but not likely for an older one they can't part out themselves. Their just looking for scrap value.

2. Put it in the driveway with a "FREE" sign. You wouldn't believe what you can get rid of that way.

3. Put it on a trailer and haul it to the scrap yard. Recently, I got $19 for just a 7-1/4" rearend (tires and all). A couple of years ago, I got about $60 for the leftover carcass of a Duster I had cut up and parted out. By the way, I believe here in Texas, if you don't have the car's title, you must cut the car at least in half.

It all depends upon how much time you want to devote to this car's demise, and how benevolent you are feeling.

Jerry

Dan, around here if you call the scrap yard they will either give you some names or post the info for their regulars. You dont make any $ off of getting it out of your hair but it also doesnt cost an $ either. The graiglslist free section was a good suggestion as well.

Crap - I didn't think about the title. The guy I bought it off was the original owner, but I told him not to bother looking for the title, cause I didn;t think I'd need it, and at the time, it was just prolonging the transaction. Honestly, I just want the thing out of my driveway to make room for my 68 (currently sitting in the grass). I'm more interested in getting rid of it than I am at making a few bucks.

If I don;t have any solid leads in the next week, I'll just have to rent the trailer. I have off next Wed-Sun, so I'll do it then.

Crap - I didn't think about the title. The guy I bought it off was the original owner, but I told him not to bother looking for the title, cause I didn;t think I'd need it, and at the time, it was just prolonging the transaction. Honestly, I just want the thing out of my driveway to make room for my 68 (currently sitting in the grass). I'm more interested in getting rid of it than I am at making a few bucks. *If I don;t have any solid leads in the next week, I'll just have to rent the trailer. I have off next Wed-Sun, so I'll do it then.

Here in socal a scrap yard will not take a car with out a title. They don't want to be taking hot car's people are trying to off load and get in truble. But I think they will take it with out a title if you chop it up into peces.

Sorry, I see 74 sport all ready said that. LOL

I scraped a 74 duster and 82 amc sx4. You have to have a title here also. I got around 300 for the sx4 and around 160 for the duster cause I took mostly everything off of it and this was when it was worth it to scrap stuff.

yeah - I just called the local yard and he said he won;t take it w/o a title. I guess this thing will be sitting here until I can apply for a new one only to hand it over.

If I chop it up, which sounds like a PITA, that means I'll have to find a way to get rid of all the non-meatl items like the seats, headliner, rug, etc, right?

BTW - what's the fastest way to cut a car in half? A sawsall?

BTW - what's the fastest way to cut a car in half? A sawsall?

Tool of choice in lower left.
22202.jpg

I actually stacked an almost complete car in the corner of my yard. It was about 4'x6' and about 6 feet tall... LOL

a sawzall will make quick work of a car. and once it is cut up it is no longer a car and you should not need a title. keep watch on garbage day, you will see at least one guy driving around picking up scrap metal. he will be happy to take it off your hands, even the non metal stuff. and now that he knows you, he will come by and ask for anything else you might have. this arrangement keeps your garage clean, puts $ in someones hand, and keeps stuff out of landfills. it works well for me.

around here we have guys that will pay you up to $200 for the car depending on how much of the car is left. They show up with a a flat bed wench it on and take it away. thats what id did with my 72 duster after i stripped it of all the good stuff. I didnt get any money cause it was just a shell not even a rolling one. Just look in the classifieds in your local paper theres bounf to be somepne in there that doesd this!

Wow, here at MoBro Inc., we take literally EVERYTHING off the car, fill it with scrap steel and as much crap as we can stuff in it and take it to the local scrap yard on the flatbed. We usually get $125-150 for the hulk, and more when scrap was up. Never get asked for the title either. It's a nice little bit of $$$ when you are finished parting it. FYI, just the parts you listed as being on there and still good are worth $150-200. If I was in your 'hood, I would be loading that on my trailer right now to take it off your hands, it sounds like you are leaving a lot of good parts on it. I'm with the guys, cut it up with a sawzall, load it in the back of your truck and take it to the scrap yard. Good luck getting rid of it!!! Geof

The easiest way to get rid of a car that is not in your name and there is nothing tying you to it is do what they do in the big city.......
Park it on the shoulder of the Interstate.

Scrap prices are way down these days. A couple of weeks ago I took an empty shell to the yard and got $1.75/100 pounds. I had a total of 1500 pounds on the scale. That works out to $26.25. Hardly worth the gas, but the way I look at it, it will be recycled and not just tossed out in the trash dump or dumped in the woods. I got rid of a bunch of stuff that I collected and put some change in my pocket. They also didn't ask for a title so I didn't give it to them. It may be because it was an old car (1965) and not much left to it.

Ken

-
Back