how to slightly lift '65 barracuda tail end

-

RJG

Reaction score
Shifting to another topic. Can some one suggest the best and easiest way to put a slight lift to the tail of my '65 Barracuda. Most of the aftermarket stuff I have found seems too tall. I am only looking for 1' or so.

Get out of the car? :D
Sorry, I had to.

Outside of different springs a spacer between the springs and spring pads would probably be your best option.
Second would be 1" longer shackles.

Flip the front spring hangers. Little longer rear shackle. Drop the front spring hangers and drill new holes.

Sorry, I had to.

Outside of different springs a spacer between the springs and spring pads would probably be your best option.
If it's a stock suspension the springs are under the axle in which case spacers would lower the body??

Treblig

Sorry, I had to.

I will do some more looking into the shackles. The ones I have found so far have been longer than I was hoping for.
Thank you for the response.

Well the best way would be to buy some +1" springs from ESPO or similar. The easiest way is probably the front hanger.

Man, I sure hope no-one suggests air shocks...............

Well hey we already suggested longer shackles so why not? Or maybe air shocks AND longer shackles! :p

Well the best way would be to buy some +1" springs from ESPO or similar. The easiest way is probably the front hanger.

Well hey we already suggested longer shackles so why not? Or maybe air shocks AND longer shackles! :p

Everyone usually jumps on me for suggesting air shocks...just wanted to give 'em another chance.:lol:

Ok, I'm convinced. AIR SHOCKS IT IS!!
Seriously though, thank you all for the input.

Longer shackles in a Mopar don't do much but flatten the spring out. I'd opt for air shocks any day of the week over that idea.

You could re-arch the springs, air shocks tend to make the car ride stiffer (not necessarily a bad thing )

One other option that I plan to use on one of my cars (daughter's car) is to get an old set of 65/66 Mustang rear springs, remove the top spring and cut the eyes off (cut to length). I have a friend who has a few extra Mustang springs laying around and he gave me a set. I cut the ends off (eyes) leaving a very long top spring. Then, once you have the Mustang spring the correct length (to support the Mopar top spring) you remove your old springs, disassemble, reassemble with the Mustang spring, drill a new hole in the Mustang spring for the spring bolt and reinstall. This should do two things: it will raise the rear about 3/4" to 1" and also take some of the "sag" out of your old spring.

Here are some pics of the two Mustang top springs (with eye removed) next to a stock 67/68/69 A body rear spring. On the A body spring the second leaf is quite a bit shorter than the top leaf. The Mustang leaf is almost a long as the Mopar top leaf which should enhance the arch and raise the car.

DSC07512.JPG
DSC07513.JPG
DSC07514.JPG

That's my plan on how to spend nothing and get something!!

Treblig

Last edited:
One other option that I plan to use on one of my cars (daughter's car) is to get an old set of 65/66 Mustang rear springs, remove the top spring and cut the eyes off (cut to length). I have a friend who has a few extra Mustang springs laying around and he gave me a set. I cut the ends off (eyes) leaving a very long top spring. Then, once you have the Mustang spring the correct length (to support the Mopar top spring) you remove your old springs, disassemble, reassemble with the Mustang spring, drill a new hole in the Mustang spring for the spring bolt and reinstall. This should do two things: it will raise the rear about 3/4" to 1" and also take some of the "sag" out of your old spring.

Here are some pics of the two Mustang top spring (with eye removed) next to a stock 67/68/69 A body rear spring. On the A body spring the second leaf is quite a bit shorter than the top leaf. The Mustang leaf is almost a long as the Mopar top leaf which should enhance the arch and raise the car.

View attachment 1715044932 View attachment 1715044933 View attachment 1715044934

That's my plan on how to spend nothing and get something!!

Treblig
Very cool.

You never mentioned anything about your existing springs.
Are they the original springs ? If they are older springs, they are sagging.
Get yourself a set of stock replacement springs from ESPO.
That will bring the rear back up to your liking.

You never mentioned anything about your existing springs.
Are they the original springs ? If they are older springs, they are sagging.
Get yourself a set of stock replacement springs from ESPO.
That will bring the rear back up to your liking.
Very good point, they are older, maybe original. Currently the quarter panel lip is 22" off the ground. I will check out the pricing.

Very good point, they are older, maybe original. Currently the quarter panel lip is 22" off the ground. I will check out the pricing.

Your springs are shot out.
Stock replacement springs will raise the car back up to where it should be.
I wouldn't recommend a +1" spring. Ive seen it many times where people weren't happy with
how high the *** end ended up. Go stock replacement.

ESPO is a great company. and has everything you will need for the replacement. Very fair pricing as well.
I would replace the rear shackle bushings while your at it.

Your springs are shot out.
Stock replacement springs will raise the car back up to where it should be.
I wouldn't recommend a +1" spring. Ive seen it many times where people weren't happy with
how high the *** end ended up. Go stock replacement.

ESPO is a great company. and has everything you will need for the replacement. Very fair pricing as well.
I would replace the rear shackle bushings while your at it.
Greatly appreciated, I am going to contact them first thing monday. I checked and believe you are correct, the springs are tired. There is a company here that re-stresses springs. I will go chat with them also. Thanks again

taller tire is my choice too. Tired springs will sag and if you go new and its too high, then use a spacer under the axle. Mine has a nice rake to it and I just lowered the front about 1.5 inches.

-
Back