How to tell if a m/s box is good

-

Okibonoe

Reaction score
Old box from a 75 6 cyl Duster. When its upside down for a week or so, it leaks about a cookie size puddle of goooooo. I would like to reuse it if its still good.

Thoughts?

That stuff breaks down when it gets old and turns back to liquid. I have filled them with epoxy before with good results. You dont want that stuff running all over your car, its near impossible to remove.

Beginning of the end- it’s junk.
Old style electronics are not today’s quality.

Interested in the box if its junk. Need a hollowed out one to put a 4 pin HEI module inside. However he might be talking about a manual steering box ?

I would not use it. There is a thread on here somewhere about gutting the box and using it to hide a GM 4 pin module.

Interested in the box if its junk. Need a hollowed out one to put a 4 pin HEI module inside. However he might be talking about a manual steering box ?
well, means he posted in the "steering and chassis" section, I'd say M/S box is manual steering box

Assuming you're referring to the sector shaft seal as the one leaking, the procedure for replacing it is in the FSM. I haven't done this, so I'm not sure how necessary the special service tools are.

FSM P592.PNG

Old box from a 75 6 cyl Duster. When its upside down for a week or so, it leaks about a cookie size puddle of goooooo. I would like to reuse it if its still good.

Thoughts?
The oil portion seperated out of the grease. Shop manual answer was to top off with oil if needed.
Considering how old the grease is, if you're up for it, take it apart clean it up and repack.
You'll need a new gasket at the top, and a fish scale or similar to improvise a very light torque measuring devise when you do the adjustments.
If there is side play in the shafts, then it may need more than just adjustment.

Well crap, I thought he was referring to an ignition box. Should have read that one a little better before posting.
Yeah, grease will liquify a bit when it gets old and is exposed to heat. I have my grease guns hanging in the garage and they make a mess.

I put a rebuilt one from steer n gear on my Duster.
A week or so later I noticed a drip on the floor, car had not been moved.
I called steer n gear and they said to jack the front of the car up and turn the steering wheel a couple of times lock to lock, he stated it was the grease separating in the box.

I did what he said and it has been leak free for several years now.

-
Back