How universal is the 7-1/4" axle

-

g413

Reaction score
I'm looking for one axle for my 67 Barracuda. If I see a car with a 7-1/4" rear end, how universal are the axles? How many years was this rear end used? From the first year to the last year, are the axles the same? Are they all SBP? If the brakes are 9" or 10", are the axles the same?

The 7.25 rear is a piece of crap. Better to upgrade to a 8.25 or 8.75 or a Dana 60.
But yes the 7.25 can be different, there is a sbp and BBP version which the BBP version is wider. There is also a suregrip (limited slip) unit that can be installed in one. My vote would be the 8.25 rear and install the rear disc brakes off a Jeep grand Cherokee.

I know a large bolt pattern axle has a different size bearing on the end. I hoped I could make a quick swap to large bolt pattern but it would not fit.

I may consider an upgraded rear end sometime in the future, but for now I just want to get thing going -- and it will just be for around town. So if all you guys have changed to a different rear end, do you have an old 7-1/4 axle sitting around?

I ran a 7.25 behind a 340, once,around 1975 it was.It was in a 65 valiant wagon.I guess they were stronger back then.lol.In an A-body with skinny tires, and a slanty, mines pushing a half a million kilometers.more than a quarter million miles.POW!
So if you need to stick to that rear, no problem. I think if you stay in the same family you will be ok. The familys are; 1)early A, up to 66,and 2) intermediate As, 67 to 72, and 3)late As, 73 up. Groups 1 and 2 are sbp. group 3 are mostly large bp. In Canada 73 was a crossover year with slantys IIRC getting the sbps.
BTW whats wrong with your one axle?

There is NOTHING wrong with a 7.25 if you use it within its intended range. If your car is a Daily Driver/ Cruiser then the 7.25 is actually a better choice than the larger, heavier rear axles. This is why they were designed and built to begin with! There were no major warrantee issues or recalls, or redesigns in 13 years of production. It IS a fine rear as long as you don't ask it to do what it was never intended to do.
As for the original question, the 7.25 A Body axles are all completely interchangeable right up until 1973 when they went to the larger bearing and 5 bolt backing plate.
If you need 7.25 parts, PM me and I'll do what I can to get you hooked up.

I ran a SG 7.25 behind a '65 A w/340 for most of my senior year in high school. Burn outs and all. I would probably still be rocking it if :I didnt do a neutral drop backing out of a driveway with 10 inch tires, BANG! and IF I didnt sell it with a replacement 2.76 one legger to a dude a week before I shipped out to boot camp. I think the SG's were much stronger than the peg legs, guess it didnt matter as the guy wrapped it around a cement light pole 3 months later. Dad sent me the newspaper clip, OUCH!

-
Back