How were you raised?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
So you get the idea and we all can get a feel for who we're talking to and have a better understanding of where each other is coming from, this is a great idea if you care to participate in real stuff.
Myself, i grew up in a loving family environment with very good discipline. I got my *** tore up when i needed it and believe me there were times that i did need it. Grew up in church and sunday school and knew right from wrong very early in life. We mostly went to the Assemblies of God church but after moving to Ark we hit the Baptist some also. Had 1 brother and 1 sister and i was the middle one so i had plenty of siblings to get in trouble with. Was always taught to hunt/fish and work hard and more than most i was taught to be kind and respectful to others whether i liked em or not. That's just good business. It was always instilled in me to help those that were less fortunate than i, when i could. I cant say that i really remember the political affiliation of my folks and never really never gave it much thought as it was my understanding that right was right and wrong was wrong so i made it a point to look at the individual in a political race rather than the party. When i was very young i do recall names like Dwight D., Barry Goldwater, JFK, and of course Tricky Dick. O.K. who's next? Please stay on track so things dont start to dissappear. Feel free to come back and add to your original post as you think of interesting things in your upbringing.
Small Block

Abused, neglected, and corrupted.

Can't stand child abusers but believe in the paddle.
Fostered and adopted more kids than I can count.

Turned out better than anyone thought thanks to God putting good people in my life and performing small miracles along the way.

Always willing to return the favors I was blessed with.

I was raised with a fly swatter on my rear end when I talked back, taught to respect my elders, to open doors for people, to put others first, to have respect for country and reverence toward God, and had the specter of paddles hanging on the walls of our classrooms....trust me when I say that I behaved in class.

I thank God and my parents for the tough calls in my life.

I was raised by two loving, hard working, lower middle class, JFK Democrat, union workers who were both born in Italyand moved to the US in the late 1920's. They demanded we speak English at home, that we learn the value of a dollar, and that we work for that which we desire. Both became American Citizens long before I was born, and they were both extremely proud of that status.
My Father became a Mess Sargent in the US Army during WWII (he was Italian, so he could cook! lol) and my mother worked at Westinghouse during that war.

After that, my father became a Longshoreman (waterfront dock worker) and an ILA (International Longshoreman's ***'n.) union member, and did that until he died in 1970.
My mother was forced to give up her job at Westinghouse after the war, to make room for the men returning to the work force. She became a home maker for a number of years, after my sister and I started school in the mid 50's, she went back to work part time, so that she was home in the mornings, before school, and she was there when we got home from school. She worked part time at a woman's clothing store. She died in 2003 at the age of 89.

I once told my Sister that, even though I make more money per year than Mom and Dad could ever think of, I which I was half as good at parenting as they were. I managed to get all my kids through college, and they all have careers now, but I wasn't near as accessible to them as my father was for me, or that I feel I should have been.

Sorry for the tangent.

Tangents are good Frankie when it comes to real stuff. Maybe i should movethis to the General Forum so we can have more particpation. MeMike has a very interesting story.
Small Block

I was raised with parent's till almost 5 years old then my grandmother took over with my mother and ,:clock::clock::clock:
WAIT!! I need to get out side and spread granules :cheers:

I will be back Bill :happy10:. Oop's Small Block :toothy10:

I was brought up in a two parent family, with both parents working until I was 11 and my youngest brother was born. My grandmother babysat me, and between all of them, taught me the values of respect, integrity, and hard work. I was a rebel in my youth (well until my late 20's for sure) however I never inflicted pain on others, physical or mental. I struck out on my own, moved across the country, and learned the hard realities of life. A change of relationship status caused me to reflect on where and whom I was, and I returned to my birth home - humbled.

I began donating my time to charity, and through my new direction, became inspired to once again strive for personal fufillment. I started a business with nothing, worked hard over the last 15 years at it, met my lovely wife, had a beautiful daughter who is turning 9 today, and found the contentment I longed for.

I am finally at a point in my life where I can honestly say I am happy with everything, comfortable with who I am, and blessed to be able to pass these qualities down to my girl, in the hopes that her life will be even more fufilling than mine.

Grant

I was raised in a full blooded Irish home in a little coal mining
town here in Schuylkill county, Pa. Everybody knew everybody
so if you got in trouble in one block, you got it when you got home.
No child abuse here. If you called the cops, they would kick your
***, then you got it again for bothering the police.
Dad worked in the strippings and mom stayed at home.
Things were tight in those days so everybody pitched in.
I recall getting slapped in the face by my dad for saying
f**k. And I was 27 when this happened. Both my parents
passed away within a year of each other. First my dad then
mom. Not a day goes by that I don't think of them.

dad was self employed, owned a gutter business. mom answered the phone and did the book work. mom was a racist, dad was very passive. politics were not part of the household. walked out of ccd classes at 10, had a hard time with all that faith stuff being shoved down my throat. quit high school after dad had 5 strokes and mom had to go find work. hard time getting with life, found out it is from bipolar with psychotic tendencies. one sister, don't even know, nor care, if she is alive. due to mental issues learned to just walk away from stupidity/ignorance and arguements. do my best to respect others, the tough guy crap only gets you so far.....

Stay at home mom used the wooden spoon for more than just stirring up those good home cooked meals. I'd like to think I turned out allright.

Born and raised in northeast PA, was a rebel at an early age and got my *** whopped for it quite often..was harrassed by nuns in Catholic school for being left handed, bullied by most of the kids cause I was a fat kid that would cry if you kicked me in the nuts,was asked (putting it mildly) to leave the Catholic school in the 6th grade, finally had enough of being bullied and struck back and hurt the kid who was picking on me one day and then got caught selling cigarettes and homework..finished off in public school. My father used to take me on electrical jobs as a go-for from the time I was 8. Learned alot about electrical to the point it is now part of what I do for a living. Taught to hunt, fish and work on cars by my uncle Harry. Built a bunch of fast cars and drove em like I stole them...I've often said if my kids drove like I did I would take their cars away. Joined the Air Force in 75 and stayed in until 80, got married and divorced during that time. Opened a record store in California in 81 with my new girlfriend and ran it til 83 when CD's came out and I was sitting on $140,000 in vinyl records that nobody wanted anymore so I sold it and moved back to PA. Managed a chain of furniture and appliance rental stores for 12 years until I was downsized in 95...took my 401K money, sold my Harley, paid the government for allowing me to use my money, and opened a sign shop which I've been running since.

Dave

My sister and i were raised by moderate/semi conservative mom and dad. Both from central Texas, Dad went to UT and got hired by Boeing in the 60's, mom stayed home tillwe were in junior high. Went to Church every sunday, and easter and Christmas eve for 18 yrs. We drove to Texas for vacations a number of times, a few in the 68 A108, till 73 when we bought a 73 Winnebago, Dodge chassis with a 360.

Parents have always been MoPar drivers, strange cause my one grandfather was a Buick guy,i was too young really to know about my other grandpa, he was a WW1 vet and was 89 when i was 7 or 8.

I dont think my dad has ever done anything wrong in his life. I hear the stories "i have never had a ticket" and believe it. As a matter of fact. I have never seen my dad sick, fart, throw up, or even swear.

Parents were conservative with money, we always had what we needed, but they never really flaunted it. My dad was a Special Projects Engineer and i heard a conversation one day that he got shorted 2 hrs on a check, and that added up to $10,000. But even to this day, i think my parents have the only house on the block without cable.

We always took some kind of vacation, but he never took sick time. Back around 95 Boeing let you accumulate sick time, since my dad never took it, the day after he retired he went in and bought a new Chrysler LXi, for cash.

My dad is the one that taught me how to work on cars, and to put his tools back in the right place, and how to do a job so you wouldnt have to do it over.

Good parents, yay

Brought up by a Hard working logger for a Dad and a stay at home Mom. I'm number 3 of 4 and am the results of my Dad getting home from Korea after serving there. Was taught to respect others, never hit girls, never start a fight but don't be afraid to finish one.

Grandmother was my Sunday school teacher at, like you smallblock, the assembly of god.

Folks didn't make much money but we always had clean clothing to wear, clean bedding to sleep in and good food to eat.
Lived and went to school in six different towns in two different states. Even lived in Borneo for a year while my Dad logged over there.

This is something good. You guys are real people from a broad perspective across this great nation. Keep it up. I'm very interested in hearing from some that haven't posted yet. If i dont i'll PM them and ask for their participation. I'm not bashful. It's early though. I look at people this way. " A stranger is just a friend i have never met". Heads up guys. Some of use have been regulars over on the polit forum and have exchanged opinions back and forth without really knowing who is on the other side of this screen. This is truly helping me and several others to get a feel for who we're talking to. "A poor black child". ab, that was funny. As someone has said. This is good therapy. Not sure when i meet you guys whether a hand shake or a hug would be appropriate. This is making an already strong site stronger.
Small Block

Started out as a Seventh Day Adventist so learned some good values but was soon corrupted buy my older sister who stands for everything a person souldn't be. Plus with mom working 2 sometimes 3 jobs my sister was the person raising/whipping our behinds when mom wasn't. Sometimes it was needed most time it was excessive.
My father left when I was a baby and I ended up being raised by an abusive stepfather...not to us but he would fight with my mom and trash the house at least twice a year good. That ended in 77 when he tried to kill her one night and I awoke to blood smeard everywhere and a bullet hole in the wall. She survived but he cut her up pretty good. I still here songs that remind me of that night. I remember sitting and crying to ELO's Telephone Line and my sister telling me to stop crying, and not in a nice way. :angry7:
At that point we packed up and headed south.
Once I turned 16 I kicked my sisters a$$ finally in which started out as self defence on my part and ended with her taking a few good shots and being slammed WWF style on the living room floor. She was 240 easy an was almost getting the best of me. My addrenilan took over and man that felt great. It was the last time she ever put a hand on me.:thebirdm:
Sorry for flipper there but that is how strong I feel about her. That might be the first time I have used it.
I only talk to my mom anymore and that's not much.

That's part of the chapter titled "How I became the person I am with the feelings I have".

I will add my "How I learned to do things myself because nobody taught me when I was young" segment in a bit. :read2:

Thanks for listening. Good therapy.:clock:

I came from a family of modest means. My father was a machinist (still is in his mind but body is not so cooperative) and my mother was a stay at home mom. Having 2 older brothers taught me to stand up for myself at a very early age. My father learned his trade while serving in the Canadian Navy during WW2 ( lots of on the job training on the North Atlantic) and although none of us followed in his footsteps we learned a great deal from him. My mother and father talk us honesty,respect, integrity, and charity. Church and Sunday school were were extremely important to my parents.
I met my loving wife and together we have 2 beautiful twin girls (okay their 13 going on 20 and a bit of a handful) and a boy( just learning to drive. YIKES!!!). I hope I can teach my kids half as much as my parents taught me. We're animal lovers as well so we have 3 dogs, a bird, and a fish.

Bill

Born and raised in Austin Texas, Two parents and three siblings. Dad was a grad of Austin college in Sherman Texas where he was from and mom grew up in Denison. Dad joined the USAF and that allowed him to go to medical school at UT Galveston. He ran the lab at Bergstrom AFB as a civilian until he retired in 1987. Mom was a home maker and all four children were raised as Christians. We attended the Episcopal Church or as my dad called it "Catholic lite"

Never heard my dad cuss or saw him get mad a real gentleman. Mom was the disipline in the house and yes we were raised to respect elders and to treat others as you would want to be treated. Sunday was church and Sunday school. After church a big family home cooked breakfast that dad did. Corporal punishment was in the house and "YES" it works.

There are four children born 1956,1960,1963 me, 1972 in girl, girl, boy, boy line up. I was the rebel. We lived in a modest house and Dad although he could have made bigger money outside of the government wanted to serve others. He was very smart. genius level.

Mom was always there when ever we needed her and was the June Cleaver/Martha Stewart in the neighborhood. She could sew, knit, crochet, crafts, garden, kept a spotless house, cooked, raised four kids and I NEVER heard an argument with dad, ever!
She still takes care of the house and is very independent at 78. A real firecracker!

Never did without what we needed and were taught the value of a dollar very early in life. As we kids grew up we all had savings accounts and checking accounts with money WE earned! Never given anything but love and respect. We are a close family and father died in 99' .

Grew up in a neighborhood with lots of kids, I used to watch the "Wonder Years" and think they did the show about our neighborhood. Almost to the T. Awesome childhood and we all turned out great!

John B.

My parents lived through the depression. They didn't have much but managed to put together enough to buy a small home of their own. I grew up in that home and it was big enough for a loving family of three. Dad worked and mom was home to care for me and the home. I had a lot of friends and no one ever said anything about how any other friend lived. We were just good friends.
I made it through high school and with no post secondary education I lucked into a good job which enabled me to marry and have 3 boys. My wife lost her job just before our first was born and stayed home with the kids. The oldest worked to put himself through community college and now is a journeyman auto mechanic. The twins also worked and put themselves through university and are now computer programmers. All of them made more starting out than I did when I retired. I passed on the values I was taught and I know they will do the same.
It is so different now and there are so many troubled kids with no guidance. It is very sad to see some of these kids in the news reports.
Sorry for my rant but had to add my 2 cents. Mike

I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Oh wait, that wasn't me...

What a jerk! Whoops ... I mean that was from the movie "The Jerk". Very funny ab! ;)

"And this lamp ... and that's all I need."

Raised by Mom and Dad, engineer and teacher from NY state who met in college and moved to Sarasota, FL to start their family. I was first child, Mom taught me very young to read, say prayers, go to the library. Dad always had ambitious projects going; did all the finish work on our sailboat for example. Had very caring neighbors; my friends and I were too afraid of our parents' disapproval and punishment to get in much trouble. Rode bikes all over town. Never even heard the 'F-word.' Didn't like church but I understood the ten commandments were all-important. I always thought of my Dad as 'superman', he could whistle really loud and I came running home for dinner. Always had to say 'may I please be excused' and often the answer was 'no, you can stay here at the table till we all finish.' At Christmas we had to wait for Grandma and Grandpa to arrive and then and sit and have coffee before we could open presents, which were passed out one by one. I was given a lot of advantages like piano lessons, cub scouts, and summer camp. I knew we weren't rich but I really had no concept of my family's finances...I figured my Dad made enough money. When I was 9 he bought a '67 273 notch commando Barracuda...I used to wait end of the driveway for him to come home from work and let me drive it into the carport. Finally got a little sister in 1966 when I was almost 7, I looked after her as my Mom went into a depression. God spoke to her one morning and she became very religious and she and my Dad drifted apart. When they came home from family counseling meetings I could see my Mom had been crying. They divorced; Mom married a minister and Dad married a younger woman with two young daughters whom he adopted and we all were very close and still are. Around this time my best friend's Dad who everyone looked up to died suddenly. I was 12 and took all of this pretty hard, started losing weight and was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. When I got a job and a car I started feeling better but I didn't want to accept any more guidance from my family and they stopped giving it. Now we all get along great and on occasion my Dad has had all three of his wives sitting at the same table...I think that says something about him.

One valuable thing I learned is that 'if you think you are going to be sick, you will be.' In other words, keep my thoughts positive.

Looking back, I had a lot of advantages, though I did not appreciate them at the time.

I wonder why in our culture it seems like children and parents go through an estrangement period and then re-establish their bond as adults? Just food for thought....as Smallblock said let's keep this thread on the subject of "How were you raised?" This is turning out to be a really insightful thread.

What a jerk! Whoops ... I mean that was from the movie "The Jerk". Very funny ab! ;)

"And this lamp ... and that's all I need."

My parents also taught me it's important to have a good sense of humor about yourself, and the world around you:toothy10:

where do you start with this.....Lets see, i remember comming from school around the age of 6 crying b/c all my friends had 2 sets of parents. I wanted a stepmother/father, With that said i came from a very loving family. I never heard my dad yell, he walk to you to death when you messed up, and my mother was the goto parent. When you did mess up we ran to mom, she would find a way to cover it up or smooth it out. Both my parents worked while i was gorwing up, and things always seemed tight as far as money goes. When i was 6 my brother who's 12 years older joined the USAF, moved to Europe and then went to work for Lockheed Martin. And he's still there to this day. My sister was the rebel, or i say made it easier on me, She pushed the limits of my parents.
My dad got me involed with bowling at the age of 5, I'm now 34 and still love to bowl. I think it kept me out of trouble growing up. And my dad still runs a junior program for bowling on saturday mornings. His junior program this year has almost 350 kids! And one thing he taught me when i got older and started to bowl tournaments is that your going to have your days and catch all the breaks, then there will be days when you get your *** handed to ya! I look at life the same way, on the bad days........get over it and move on!

Born and raised in Austin Texas, Two parents and three siblings. Dad was a grad of Austin college in Sherman Texas where he was from and mom grew up in Denison. Dad joined the USAF and that allowed him to go to medical school at UT Galveston. He ran the lab at Bergstrom AFB as a civilian until he retired in 1987. Mom was a home maker and all four children were raised as Christians. We attended the Episcopal Church or as my dad called it "Catholic lite"

Never heard my dad cuss or saw him get mad a real gentleman. Mom was the disipline in the house and yes we were raised to respect elders and to treat others as you would want to be treated. Sunday was church and Sunday school. After church a big family home cooked breakfast that dad did. Corporal punishment was in the house and "YES" it works.

There are four children born 1956,1960,1963 me, 1972 in girl, girl, boy, boy line up. I was the rebel. We lived in a modest house and Dad although he could have made bigger money outside of the government wanted to serve others. He was very smart. genius level.

Mom was always there when ever we needed her and was the June Cleaver/Martha Stewart in the neighborhood. She could sew, knit, crochet, crafts, garden, kept a spotless house, cooked, raised four kids and I NEVER heard an argument with dad, ever!
She still takes care of the house and is very independent at 78. A real firecracker!

Never did without what we needed and were taught the value of a dollar very early in life. As we kids grew up we all had savings accounts and checking accounts with money WE earned! Never given anything but love and respect. We are a close family and father died in 99' .

Grew up in a neighborhood with lots of kids, I used to watch the "Wonder Years" and think they did the show about our neighborhood. Almost to the T. Awesome childhood and we all turned out great!

John B.

John, sounds like my parents and your parents could have been related, not litterally though. Same traits i mean.

They grew up in Georgetown TX. Dad was in the air force too, at Travis i think, maybe Bergstrom, thats the Austin Airport now right? He was a helicopter instructor for the Korean war.

-
Back