Howd you start likeing mopar?

-

Moose

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was sitting here and started thinking how did you guys on here get into mopars or cars. I love hereing the storys from guys, so tell me your favorite or first memory of cars or that car the made you want to start wrenching. Just have fun with it.

my dad found my 65 fs barracuda to keep me from buying a mustang in 1968 and i was blowing the doors of z28s and murdering 289 mustangs sold me for life.

I cut my gearhead teeth on my granpa's 65 Satellite and the MoPar bug spread from there!

Friend of mine bought a 70 Duster that had a built 318 in it. I was 17yrs old. I drove a Chevy truck at the time. I liked the sound, smell, the way the starter sounded, and the look of that Duster. I found a 68 Charger with a 383 two barrel and automatic trans. I was bit by the Mopar bug after that for life. I kept that car for 14yrs.

My dad is:cheers: a Chevy guy but all we rode in when we were kids were Dodge trucks and Plymouth Volares. They were a lot more reliable and couldnt kill the slant 6's we've had. Been a Mopar guy ever since

I used to pretent i was driving my dad's 1969 dodge charger that sat in the garage when i was quite young and have been obsessed ever since.

I been pinstriping since I was 10 years old, ever since I can remember I was into cars.

My grandpa drove a Dodge Polara until he died in 1966. My mom had a '64 Dodge Dart when I was very young. My grandma traded my grandpa's Polara in for a '72 Dodge Dart, 318. I ended up buying that car from her in '78 when I turned 16.

It's all my wifes fault! I was a Chevy guy when I met her in 1984, we were both in the Navy based in Philadelphia at the time and neither one of us had a car. We got married in 85 just before she was transfered to San Diego. She was in charge of getting the apartment and transportation while I got my transfer papers arranged. She had keep telling me of her Cuda she had and painted and of course bought a nice 72 Duster for our first car. I found a 70 Barracuda 318 4-speed shortly after I got out to San Diego and I was hooked.

She taught me how to do body and paint and rebuilt the front end on the Duster while I was on a 6 month deployment.

Circa 1986 Guess you all know why I married her! She is not much into the cars any more but never questions my new car I drag home! Love her!

Attachments

• Jens-Duster.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 284
I remember when I was little like 6-7 I was at at the soccer field play and the guy that lived next to it finally got his 71 dodge demon running, I still remember the sound of it starting up......it was like loud & obnoxious angel hahaha. I watched him build that thing up everyday after that. He put air shocks and 50's on the back, painted this gray color that was amazing and black stripes down the sides. He had a 340 in it and a black interior. God I loved that car, but he got rid of it one day. Ever since then thats all Ive ever wanted. Such a sweet car >:)

Dad was always a Studebaker guy. Our first post-Stude was a 71 Dodge Coronet Custom station wagon. One of the best looking wagons ever.

We still have the 39 Plymouth pickup that my great grandfather bought new. When it was Dad's daily driver in the 60s and 70s, strangers were always asking him to sell it to them.

My father was a ford fan, my friends had fords and chebbys, i had to be different with my 68 roadrunner i have owned all types of cars but i have always came back to mopars i like the styling and the uniqueness of the mopars always a hit at the local shows.

My dad drove a little bit of everything and ran a few stock cars but it always had to have a V8 regardless of what the emblem said. My older brother never liked to get dirty -- still doesn't :-D -- so I was the Pit Crew for as long as I can remember.

In late 1990 I saw a sad, long neglected Barracuda in the driveway of a new acquaintance when stopping by to look at his beautiful Duster. It took lots of cajoling and begging until the next April when a 6 pack of his favorite beer and feminine wiles finally sealed the deal ... but I went home with the title.

And I still have the Cuda. It's come a long way since then.

My uncle had a 1971 Roadrunner since I was born. He refused to sell it to anyone!!! I was hooked since the age of 1 basically. so its all his fault. :)

My uncle sadly died a few years ago and my aunt sold it to pay for her lease on her Intrepid! :angryfir::angryfir::angryfir::cussing:](*,)

Family of course, Dad, 2 brothers and a sister all drove mopars. I was the youngest and born into them.We all still drive them.

My Uncle had a 68 road runner and I would sit in the middle on the bench seat,Then I had a ford mustang went racing in the big D and got smoked by a 73 dodge sport. Bought One the next day.

mom and dad split when i was 4. we got to play in dads 59 impala 348 4v car for meny years till she sold it. they pored gas in the carb and drove it away. but when ever dad came to pick us up on sunday he always did a burn out to piss mom and grandpa who lived next door. dad was not to eazy on cars alway seem to have a differant one evey other month or so. 429 merc. vette 350 in a flat nose chevy van 3 speed on the tree it left a mark all the way up the road.he said anybody can go fast stright you win in the curvers. lots of 350 pontiacs. mopars were cause my buddy 440 duster with a 538 gear we were told. we scared a motorcyc guy to death one night he kelp wanting to race told us we can,t stay up with him. after the first 50feet we were so close too him he started to shake and we backed off. other kid from school had a 440GTX that was just too bad almost pulled the front end on shifts.

My father bought a new '64 Valiant Signet 2DR hardtop in '64. I got a used '63 Valiant Signet 2Dr hardtop in the spring of '67. In the spring of '68 I got my new Barracuda and kept it since then til now.

Came home from college in 1970, headed to my dad's garage, and found my sister sanding on the roof of a 1967 Dart custom 2dr. hardtop. 273 automatic, AC car; gold with a gold interior. Found out it was to be my car to return to my senior year in college at the end of the summer. My first dip into the world of high finance! 2 years @ 37.00 dollars a month; my first indebtedness! Soon found out I needed MORE horsepower!! Bought a 69 Swinger 340 4 speed after college when I had a real job for 1300.00 dollars. Ben.

Grew up in a 1941 Willys Sedan with a 383 big block mopar in it! Along with an 8.75 sure-grip. We sold the willys and roll around in my dad's hemi roadrunner now though. As a young gun (18) I really miss that car.

26264_1390193629036_1057978039_31137207_2268551_n.jpg

26264_1390193589035_1057978039_31137206_256128_n.jpg

When my best friend and I got stationed in Alaska together in 1990, he bought a red 74 Aspen w/ 225 /6 and 3-speed on the floor. He talked me into buying a white 65 Barracuda w/ 225 /6 and 3-speed on the column; I've been hooked ever since. 15 years later I bought exactly the same car, white w/ black interior, but with a better body and minus the engine and trans.

:love7:
Hi everyone, I was sitting here and started thinking how did you guys on here get into mopars or cars. I love hereing the storys from guys, so tell me your favorite or first memory of cars or that car the made you want to start wrenching. Just have fun with it.

Well, lets see. It all started when a freind of mine came home with a fresh off the track 383 4sp '69 Road Runner. A stock looking but beefy on the inside unit, this sucker was smokin everything. I really mean, it was a mean car. He found the limitataionm when he lost to a Porchse and smoked the engine @ approx 120 MPH when the lil'German thing went into 5th, a gear he didn't have af course.

Then he picked up a 67 (I think it was) Cuda 318/904 combo. Another killer unit. He told me these things rule. Ya gotta getcha one of these things, they don't die.

So, I got me one. A 318 Duster. And it lived under my abusive right foot unlike the host of Chevy, Pontiacs and Olsmobiles I had prior.

Sheeeeetzzzzzz, I wa sold. Take a lickin and keeps on kickin! I'm sold!
In the mean time, during down times of engine builds, a few GM's took over daily driving duties for me and all have suffered the wrath of death from my right foot due to the inferior make up of those crap engines thaty can't take it.

Mopars were all around me growing up. There were three brothers up the street with a '69 GTX 440 727, '69 Charger R/T 440 727, '68 Coronet R/T 440 4 speed. A guy down the street had a '69 GTX 440 727 & a '69 Swinger 340 727. Across the street was a '68 Charger R/T 440 727. Two streets over a guy had a '70 Swinger 340 4 speed that was well known to whip a few big blocks. I had a school mate who's brother went to the Army & brought back a absolutely stunning B5 blue '70 Charger R/T 440 Pistol Grip 4 speed. I thought it was the most beautiful car I'd seen. My brother in law had a '70 Super Bee 383 727. He later went to the Army and came back with a Hemi Orange '69 440 Six Pak Super Bee & whipped the 427 4 speed '69 Chevelle in the neighborhood that was supposed to be quick. His brother had a red '71 440 Six Pak 'Cuda his wife drove! I was about 10 or 11 at the time. It was inevitable for me. MOPAR or NO CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-
Back