Huge FCA recall.....

-
How is this "update the transmissions so they won't move once the driver has exited." gonna work??? Details???

Why don't they fix the shifter and make it simpler/easier to understand so when you think you have it in park ---> IT'S IN PARK???

I don't know if you remember, but Ford had something similar on ALL their vehicles produced for like a 30 year span. ALL they "had to do" was provide the customer with a dash sticker telling them to make SURE the car was in PARK and set the parking brake. How they got by with that, I have no idea, but they did.

This is what happened a LOT and obviously still does sometimes.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxGlIFlZ0CI"]Unmanned Car Stuck in Reverse doing Donuts - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• FORD PARK STICKER.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 341
I don't know if you remember, but Ford had something similar on ALL their vehicles produced for like a 30 year span. ALL they "had to do" was provide the customer with a dash sticker telling them to make SURE the car was in PARK and set the parking brake. How they got by with that, I have no idea, but they did.

This is what happened a LOT and obviously still does sometimes.

I once worked on the Ford Key Brake interlock cables...

That was supposed to keep them from sudden acceleration. It also would not release the key unless the shifter was in park...

Hmmmm, that's because because you don't understand the fact that you're not shifting
anything, you are "selecting" and a bunch of electrical bullshit is doing the shifting. You
can't give me any of this new f**king garbage, get in a new durangalo/jeep, and you've
got a four position knob. There is no "shifter", and worse, you cannot kill the engine with
the knob in any position but park, and cannot put the trans in neutral w/o the engine
running. This means when I'm doing the target rollout on the alignment rack, I have to
have the engine running in neutral while I roll the vehicle back& forth,f**king morons.

I once worked on the Ford Key Brake interlock cables...

That was supposed to keep them from sudden acceleration. It also would not release the key unless the shifter was in park...

Yeah, but what I posted was LONG before all that.

Sounds like stupidity on the drivers part to me...

Right, for which the rest of us will pay for, over and over again. It can't be long before
your "motorized transport" will be android based, you tap the screen and it unlocks and
opens for you, a couple more taps on the screen and you're running and moving. No need
to drive, why those pesky shift thingies are SOOO like a drag, just go back to tweeting
until you've arrived.........

Reminds me of a Dodge Omni that was here at the shop years ago. Owner had it towed in, wouldn't start. We did some testing and it ended up the ignition switch was bad, so we ordered one.

In the meantime, the car sat beside the garage, for two days, until the ignition arrived. On Day 2 I'm in the garage working and I see my dad running full-tilt across the parking lot, he's chasing something...

The ignition shorted out and the starter was cranking the car across the parking lot in 1st Gear with the back wheels dragging the whole way (4-speed manual and the e-brake set)

I got a BMW 328I for a rental car yesterday (after refusing the first car that had the Infotainment system in Spanish, and nobody could figure out how to change it to English - too hard to set up bluetooth, etc. with the little Spanish I know).

It had a weird shifter - you pushed a button on top of the shifter next to the letter P to put it in park (see below) - not once, but twice, when I parked it and pressed P, then tried to exit, the car started rolling. Never mind that the Infotainment system looked like a touchscreen, but the controls were actually that knob and buttons below and to the right of the shifter...

It's aggravating to have to figure out how to set up each car (in the dark of the parking structure) in the early morning before the coffee has kicked in, especially when I need my reading glasses to read most of what's within 20" or so of my face - I'd really like to be able to rent a car with the same 'cockpit' layout every place I go...may have to try Silvercar - they only rent one model of car, but they're not in every airport that I travel to...

Attachments

• bmw-gear-shifter.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 312
rust rat rod,
---
as compared to which recall from the big six ????
---

just gimme a plain ole simple, 45 yrs old ,mechanical, no electrical BS car.

gimme a Plymouth, and if I really wanna feel important, I will tell people I own a Dodge!!! right Al!??????

just gimme a plain ole simple, 45 yrs old ,mechanical, no electrical BS car.

gimme a Plymouth, and if I really wanna feel important, I will tell people I own a Dodge!!! right Al!??????

Mechanical & ancient, works for me ,indeed...

I test drove a SRT jeep grand Cherokee. That shifter is a piece of crap. It ratchets up and down, but comes back to the same location so it always is in the center.

This is hilarious. Just shows how stupid the general public really is. I owned a 13 Charger for a couple of years with this shifter and can say yea, its a funky design, but anyone with half a brain can understand how it works. This recall is purely being done because of operator error, not faulty equipment.

This is hilarious. Just shows how stupid the general public really is. I owned a 13 Charger for a couple of years with this shifter and can say yea, its a funky design, but anyone with half a brain can understand how it works. This recall is purely being done because of operator error, not faulty equipment.
It is a shitty design. WHY reinvent the wheel? KISS. Keep it simple stupid!. No im not calling you stupid, just the idiot who signed off on the shifter design.

The thing is, everyone is so used to the normal design of the shifter, you could do it in your sleep practically, it's automatic to you. I drove one of those BMWs and yes I could do it, it takes like 3 separate steps to put it in park, it just doesn't come naturally at all.

The thing is, everyone is so used to the normal design of the shifter, you could do it in your sleep practically, it's automatic to you. I drove one of those BMWs and yes I could do it, it takes like 3 separate steps to put it in park, it just doesn't come naturally at all.

The thing is, the normal design was normal for a reason, it made sense & was intuitive
for anyone capable of turning the key. All the way up or all the way forward means your
parked, you don't need to solve the rubics cube to keep your ride from rolling away.

This thread is funny that it's just when my friend called me this morning and said his 2009 Corvette got recalled and they want to take it in to the dealership and put new catastrophic converters on it and reprogram it so it will pass California emissions. He just had it DEQ'ed here and it passed. I told him back in the day we would pay to have all that crap taken off and that he does not live in California and never will. But the dealership of course is adamant about it because they get to charge GM a crapload of money To do it. Nothing like taking your car in to get it detuned and sound crappy

You call it what you want, but its a piece of ****! I've got half a brain and figured out how much of a turd it is in the first day. Unfortunately I still haven't figured out the shifter. I've had about three close calls in a 2016 jeep so far. With the push button start and the shifter combination, its an accident looking for a place to happen. Oh and don't forget the fancy paddle shifters that are useless as tits on a boar hog.

-
Back