Hughes super prepped heads

-

illcuda65

Reaction score
Anyone bought the Hughes super prepped heads? On sale now for 2065, looking for feedback as I would purchase these within the next 24 hours.

I wouldn't buy anything prepped by hughes. Just my experience with their machine work. Two 440's and they were both bad . Good thing the second one wasn't installed. And was corrected after the first was destroyed. I have a mega-block here from them . That is the only thing we saved from number one engine.

MRL , IMM , Shady Dell ........ that's three of a half dozen or so I'd use before Hughes and not necessarily in that order. They have experience and a proven history of results , and they are small enough to be responsive to individual customer needs. Hughes sells good parts , but for serious efforts , I go to the pros.

Shady dell is the worst of all. I wouldn't trust them with a 5 hp briggs. replacing a spark plug. Biggest liar I ever met in the mopar comunity.

Shady dell is the worst of all. I wouldn't trust them with a 5 hp briggs. replacing a spark plug. Biggest liar I ever met in the mopar comunity.

I bought my heads from shady dell and he was there for me with help and advice long after the sale. I also wanted to spend more money with him and he advised me the bang for the buck was not there so he saved me some dollars too. Ryan is a straight shooter and I would go back to him any day.

Maybe I should post some receipts from him adding to thousands. and then the remainder of the pics so you can all see. The only thing reusable was the damper. Not even the intake or the bolts.

While I and other machinist were there, Another grenaded motor came in that took out the car. As per his brother. He told us the truth when Ryan wasn't there.

He ruined everything he machined. He got his bridgeport from me after my motor. He lied and scammed me out of parts for 2 years. Ask him if he remembers ruining A motor that belonged to Steve Kiss.

And then he scammed me out of my Batten heads. After he broke the block on the dyno. And that was after he charged me to CNC fly cut my pistons that were cut with a rotary file through my Batten heads that he destroyed .

He paid for all parts but I wouldn't let him touch the motor for the third time.

Don't ever tell me that Ryan is a honest guy. If you think that then you really don't know him. I found out the hard way. Every time I went there I wrote everything down and he initialed it. Lucky me. It ended up being all lies.

I bought a new mopar race crank. It never made it in my motor. He didn't realize I stamped everything I took there. After 2 X blocks I ended up using a resto block at another machine shop where my son is now the machinist. Even the valve covers got broke.

The last pick is of the motor that is in the car now

His brother was a honest guy. Ryan was not at all.

Good luck with anything you get done by him.

Attachments

• batten1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 543
  • block1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 564
  • block2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 549
  • !CID__pic100107_1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 602
  • !CID__pic100107_4.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 546
  • Copy of batten2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 549
  • DSCF0092.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 560
As far as I know,the Airwolfs are still in limbo. Mad Dart has emailed,and called multiple times.No response back.(as far as I know of...).

I had 2 hughes torque converters they were both out of balanced pieces of junk, got one made works great.

Maybe I should post some receipts from him adding to thousands. and then the remainder of the pics so you can all see. The only thing reusable was the damper. Not even the intake or the bolts.

While I and other machinist were there, Another grenaded motor came in that took out the car. As per his brother. He told us the truth when Ryan wasn't there.

He ruined everything he machined. He got his bridgeport from me after my motor. He lied and scammed me out of parts for 2 years. Ask him if he remembers ruining A motor that belonged to Steve Kiss.

And then he scammed me out of my Batten heads. After he broke the block on the dyno. And that was after he charged me to CNC fly cut my pistons that were cut with a rotary file through my Batten heads that he destroyed .

He paid for all parts but I wouldn't let him touch the motor for the third time.

Don't ever tell me that Ryan is a honest guy. If you think that then you really don't know him. I found out the hard way. Every time I went there I wrote everything down and he initialed it. Lucky me. It ended up being all lies.

I bought a new mopar race crank. It never made it in my motor. He didn't realize I stamped everything I took there. After 2 X blocks I ended up using a resto block at another machine shop where my son is now the machinist. Even the valve covers got broke.

The last pick is of the motor that is in the car now

His brother was a honest guy. Ryan was not at all.

Good luck with anything you get done by him.

Damn, that looks horrible. Think I might have a nightmare about that.

The sad fact in the performance engine world is that most (not all) of the big name engine guys are cookie cutter scam artists. They build their reputation through magazine hype and what have you. I always tell people that the guys that make the most noise get all the attention. Sadly this leads to a lot of people getting screwed.
IMO some of the better shops out there are the smaller ones few have heard of. These guys are hungry to make a name for themselves, and try to build their reputation though quality work, and results.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything worked over by
Hughes
Indy
Muscle Motors
Shady Dell

MRL or IMM get my vote.

Got a set of Hughes CNC edelbrock heads on our 71 Dart 360....car runs 10.70s in Vegas heat...with a Hughes 260/264 FLAT TAPPET cam....with Hughes 1111 springs......

The sad fact in the performance engine world is that most (not all) of the big name engine guys are cookie cutter scam artists. They build their reputation through magazine hype and what have you. I always tell people that the guys that make the most noise get all the attention. Sadly this leads to a lot of people getting screwed.
IMO some of the better shops out there are the smaller ones few have heard of. These guys are hungry to make a name for themselves, and try to build their reputation though quality work, and results.

Hughes
Indy
Muscle Motors
Shady Dell

MRL or IMM get my vote.

I couldn't have said it better then you just did. But shady dell is a one car garage deal when I finally went there and saw the operation. I don't know where he took the pics for his site but they had to be staged.

Lots of good info. What does everyone thing of pro comp heads? MRL on this site has used them w success and can set up a nice machined package for 2 k. I have a 1972 340 bored .20 that has the early 90s Daytona iroc pieces. Scat crank, wiseco pistons, bought it from hemi Ed on this site.

I always thought about imms rhs heads but don't want the tall fabricated valve covers.

I heard good things from the Guys at the machine shop on the heads that came in there. I never personally used them . Dave said the guides and machine work on the heads were near perfect.

This is the best thing said but sorry I in me opinion I wouldn't let buy a create engine from any of these guys.You have good and bad from all.Hughes has done me vary good and loved there help even with parts that was not theres. in all of the dealings with them I never heard them bad mouth anyone.Thats where my vote comes in with them.The only thing I do is buy parts and hoping for good quality.That is what makes good engines.If I bought heads from them they would be bare and I would a local do them for me.Just my 2cents

Hughes
Indy
Muscle Motors
Shady Dell

MRL or IMM get my vote.

On ProComp heads, My engine guy for Ford's said buy them bare and build them with quality hardware. My dad used a set on a 383 Chebby and a 302 Ford and they worked out fine. I thought about getting a set of bare LA heads and setting them up.

Old Man,
thanks for the info, I was getting ready to order my powerplant, and Ryan was going to get the nod.
IMM & MRL both gave me pricing but Ive lost the paper and digital trail.
I'll contact them again.
I cannot tell you how apprehensive I am when it comes to long distance sight unseen purchases.
Andrew

This is the best thing said but sorry I in me opinion I wouldn't let buy a create engine from any of these guys.You have good and bad from all.Hughes has done me vary good and loved there help even with parts that was not theres. in all of the dealings with them I never heard them bad mouth anyone.Thats where my vote comes in with them.The only thing I do is buy parts and hoping for good quality.That is what makes good engines.If I bought heads from them they would be bare and I would a local do them for me.Just my 2cents

Huh? Whoa.

It's sad that these bigger names are doing work like this. That makes it even more difficult for people to trust the little guy. I am acquiring parts right now to build a 360 for a member here. It's going to be a very mild super budget build, but I am not going to cut corners on anything important.....like good rod bolts, resizing the rods and such. I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of it. I have not even talked about money for my part. I want him happy first. If he's not, I'm not going to charge him a penny for my part.....but I'm not worried about that because I know what he's fixin to end up with. .........but he aint gotta clue. LOL If I had the money and resources to be a big shot, my attitude would be the same. I want people happy above all FIRST. As long as you have that, the profit will fall into place. I plan on documenting this build if anyone is interested.

-
Back