Hurricane approaching Florida

-
At times the idea of witnessing an event like Dorian intrigues me. Then the common sense in me speaks up. Went on vacation to Cancun long ago. As we were exploring the Yucatan I noticed that all the trees were exactly the same height. I asked a local about it and he told me that Hurricane Gilbert pretty much removed all the vegetation to ground level as it passed, 165mph winds. Some dear friends of mine were in Cancun on their honeymoon when Wilma went through. They were holed up in their hotel basement for 4 days and another 4 days after that to get a plane out.

Just waiting for Dorian to pass over the Outer Banks tomorrow. My wife and I are down there a lot on Hatteras Island. FL dodged a bullet!

Just waiting for Dorian to pass over the Outer Banks tomorrow. My wife and I are down there a lot on Hatteras Island. FL dodged a bullet!
Glad you did sure sucks having to put up with something like that.

You guys OK down south????

As long as our little tin condo (camper) survives, we will be fine. It sits 1200' from the ocean, and there's some big trees in range. If that thing gets mashed, I'll have to put my wife in a funny farm! We are safe and sound at home in the NC mountains.....not a cloud in the sky.

As long as our little tin condo (camper) survives, we will be fine. It sits 1200' from the ocean, and there's some big trees in range. If that thing gets mashed, I'll have to put my wife in a funny farm! We are safe and sound at home in the NC mountains.....not a cloud in the sky.
I'm with you JD. My wife and I have a little place in Salvo on the OBX. Tomorrow will be the 4th 'cane in just over 8 years now.... I've learned to pay the insurance premiums, make a decision on what to do, ride it out, and wait to see what comes out the other side. Nothing you can do at this point can change things.

Good keep the wife safe and I bet you have a great view on the mountain.

We got off easy here on the east coast of Fl. and I am thankful for that .. and the well wishes and prayers from you guys too.

Looks like this is spawning an unusual number of tornadoes inland in SC and particularly NC. Have not seen this many before in similar 'canes like Irene. Just one here....

30A417B2-8644-4792-8B89-DC29C2CD7DAB.jpeg
1200 feet from the ocean, and just a few dead limbs and twigs in the yard! Headed down to clean up in a bit. Hope everyone else faired just as well.

Massive rain & 50 plus mph gusts in southeast,va. Made decision to leave my Northern Tool carport up since they were only calling for tropical storm force winds. Big mistake. Thought I had secured nicely but it got shredded and thrown into back of my house.

Massive rain & 50 plus mph gusts in southeast,va. Made decision to leave my Northern Tool carport up since they were only calling for tropical storm force winds. Big mistake. Thought I had secured nicely but it got shredded and thrown into back of my house.
Sorry to here of your loss nasty storm there for sure.

If you want to see some problems, look here and pan down the pix since this AM. Ocracoke and Hatteras villages on the Outer Banks got hammered with flooding from the Pamlico Sound after Dorian passed over and the winds shifted to northerly and pushed the sounds water into the islands. Came up 9' in less than an hour in some places. The water has already gone back out, but it'll be the better part of a year to recover for some places.

Oregon Inlet Idiots

If you want to see some problems, look here and pan down the pix since this AM. Ocracoke and Hatteras villages on the Outer Banks got hammered with flooding from the Pamlico Sound after Dorian passed over and the winds shifted to northerly and pushed the sounds water into the islands. Came up 9' in less than an hour in some places. The water has already gone back out, but it'll be the better part of a year to recover for some places.

Oregon Inlet Idiots

A lot of folks on here do not due Facebook so can not view that but obx is not far from me and viewing local news they definitely got hammered for sure. Especially ocracoke.
Farther north of obx Norfolk,Va has some serious tidal flooding occurring as we speak.

Roger that..... I bet most of the folks here would enjoy the Orgeon Inlet Idiots site.... I am not a F-booker but this one site is worth it. It is run by a bunch of locals, mostly beach fishermen, and is actually one of the better communications sites for Hatteras Island and Orcacoke in times like these.

Hope your Mopar was not messed up!

-
Back