HURRICANE PARTAAaaaaaa!!!

-
its pretty crazy down here in corpus christi. there's very little gas if the station is open?? 95 percent of the restaurants are closed. most of the city has no power. the grocery store shevles r mostly bare. when u go the grocery store u have to deal with semi desperate people.
treblig
watching the news right now - you got LUCKY. it looks like this one ain't over for a lot of people who live not far from you

glad you are safe man..H-Town is gonna be under water before it's all said and done.

Yell if we can help.

Bruce
yes, we're safe here, my sister in houston tells that the water level is above the street light in town. no gas and more rain in the forcast. she lives in crosby just ne of houston. people. r stranded in their cars in many feet of water.
watching the news right now - you got LUCKY. it looks like this one ain't over for a lot of people who live not far from you
houston is catching holy hell. up tp 50 inches of rain and many of the levies will be topped by rising waters. 1940s rainfal records are falling by the wayside. stil no power here in corpus, typing on my phone.

treblig

I've got a friend in Conroe - he's surrounded by water but thus far he's dry. Some of his employees have lost everything. It's fugly down there. Plus it's probably coming back.

thanks for all the prayers.....it must have helped because things are looking up as each day passes. the power has been restored to my sons house , my sisters house and my nephews house. we still dont have cable or internet but that's no big deal compared to everything else. my other sister in houston tells me that many of her coworkers in houston have lost their homes completely, everything is gone. the rivers came up and wiped out their houses. my sister says that she's still waiting to see when the river close to her house will crest.

treblig

thanks for all the prayers.....it must have helped because things are looking up as each day passes. the power has been restored to my sons house , my sisters house and my nephews house. we still dont have cable or internet but that's no big deal compared to everything else. my other sister in houston tells me that many of her coworkers in houston have lost their homes completely, everything is gone. the rivers came up and wiped out their houses. my sister says that she's still waiting to see when the river close to her house will crest.

treblig
Thank God you and yours pulled thru !!!
Prayers for the rest affected, still have not been able to get a hold of some friends in Houston.It ai t over yet...

Thank God you and yours pulled thru !!!
Prayers for the rest affected, still have not been able to get a hold of some friends in Houston.It ai t over yet...
U r right...it ain't nowhere near over for many folks. they're still digging out people trapped in collapsed buildings in rockport. It will be months for houston to get back to normal. there r many small towns north of rockport that were almost completely wiped out. people need water, food and shelter. one of the really bad things will b the mosquitoes. about a week after a big rain the eggs start to hatch. with all the heat and humidity and no power ( no ac) u get more exposed as u open up the doors and windows to keep from over hearing. it ain't gonna b no picnic!!

treblig

I heard in the first 24 hours 11 TRILLION gallons of water fell on Huston alone. Don't know if that is correct, but if true, that's a frigging lot of water. That would drown a duck.

Hope you can get the mess cleaned up soon. Texas took it on the chin. Now it's heading to Louisiana. Damn

OK, it's Thursday and most everything is back to normal in my City. Can't say as much for Rockport or Houston and all the towns that were in the direct path of Harvey!! My cable and internet are up and running so I can finally post the pics I took of my Emergency Hurricane Survival Kit:

DSC07673.JPG

Had to pack everything into the garage (including the Cuda and my son's car), Hagerty will only cover car damage to the Cuda if it's garage kept.

DSC07674.JPG

Had to leave my daughter's car in the carport that I built: It was covered with stuff from the wind blowing so much:
DSC07675.JPG

My carport (automatic) door faces the street and I wasn't sure if it would be able to withstand the high winds so I raised it up about 3 feet and built a heavy wire screen wall so that the wind couldn't get trapped and bend/rip the automatic door. I also attached a 2X4 brace to the door to give it some strength.
DSC07676.JPG

Here's one of the telephone poles that support the carport roof, I dug down 6 feet to sink the poles deep!! They weighed about 800 lbs each and it took 6 guys to raise them high enough to drop into the holes. My plan (10 years ago) was to make the carport hurricane proof....so far so good!! You can also see the wooden I beams above with metal tie straps:
DSC07677.JPG

I put these fence braces in for the hurricane in hopes that it would save my fence (I have 3 dogs)...the storm was already blowing as you can tell by the mess in the yard:

DSC07678.JPG

Here a good pic of the overhead I beams:

DSC07679.JPG

I built some double staggered 2 X 12 beams with 1/4" steel plates to span the space between the poles:
DSC07680.JPG

Despite all the winds and high gusts the carport never budged at all. I expected it to sway a little but it never did?? I already have plans in place to reinforce the fence better. I originally used 4 X 6 treated fence posts and sunk them 4 feet into the short concrete wall but the 4 X 6 posts would be no match for 120/140 MPH winds. There are a couple more storms in the Gulf (right now) and out at sea headed this way so I'm limited on time to get to work preparing for the next onslaught!!

treblig

I laughed hard at the bag of Cheetos's, everything else I can understand.

A survival kit with no cookies. I wouldn't want to ride a storm out with no cookies.
All the store shelves had been wiped clean by all the hoarders....no cookies or beer or bread!! It was amazing to see that every single type of bread, tortilla, pita or whatever was totally gone!! The shelves stayed empty for quite a few days. I had Cheetos in the pantry so I had to make do............

treblig

All the store shelves had been wiped clean by all the hoarders....no cookies or beer or bread!! It was amazing to see that every single type of bread, tortilla, pita or whatever was totally gone!! The shelves stayed empty for quite a few days. I had Cheetos in the pantry so I had to make do............

treblig

Then that is forgivable. Just had a half dozen peanut butter cookies while thinking of you down there!

-
Back