Hurst floor ratchet shifter install ?

-

USAJon

Maryland U.S.A.
Reaction score
my bro just sold me a hurst ratched floor shifter. anyone ever install one in a 1968 dodge dart slant six/904 ?

ebay029.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

how hard?

It's not too hard IF you have the correct brackets and linkage arms. Hardest part is making sure the cable routes away from the exhaust and does not kink.

I put a Hurst Pro-matic on my 727. Wasn't too dificult. Just make sure you have the correct bracket for the trans, drill the hole for the cable, and route the cable away from the hot exhaust.

I put a Hurst Pro-matic on my 727. Wasn't too dificult. Just make sure you have the correct bracket for the trans, drill the hole for the cable, and route the cable away from the hot exhaust.

got any interior photos?

Here is one without the seats in...

10-01-08015.jpg

I am not going to use the plastic cover that comes with it. I plan on building my own console and hopefully putting a rubber boot around any part of the shifter that is exposed. Also plan on losing the uber cool brown marble shift ball!!

Here is another with the seats in and the plastic cover removed...

sept09041Medium.jpg

very nice. I have the stock (shot) bench seat. do you think I can mount the shifter once for both bench and bucket seats. I may in the future go with A100 seats .

I think it would be difficult to reach with the bench seat. Use my second picture for reference. At least half the shifter is behind the leading edge of the seats. This area would have to be cut out (I've seen it done) of your bench for the shifter to mount close enough to reach it.

It wouldn't be too difficult to mount and then remount after the seat change. Use the same hole for the cable (it's hidden under the carpet).

I think it would be difficult to reach with the bench seat. Use my second picture for reference. At least half the shifter is behind the leading edge of the seats. This area would have to be cut out (I've seen it done) of your bench for the shifter to mount close enough to reach it.

It wouldn't be too difficult to mount and then remount after the seat change. Use the same hole for the cable (it's hidden under the carpet).

aprox where did you cut the hole for the cable...on the firewall, or on the transmission hump somewhere ?

center on the hump or to the left where the shift lever is ? thanks for any/all info.

Here is another picture...

CraigsCutlass001.jpg

the cable hole is drilled just to the left and forward of the shifter through the trans tunnel.

very nice detailed photos.

do you still run the kick down linkage..?

I bought a B&M w/o a manual. can I run the cable through the firewall or drill a home in the tunnel. I am building a custom console so it will not be attached to the floor.

Thanks
ian.

is your car on the road now ?

Yeah, I've been using the shifter for a little over a year now. Everything works fine.

It's almost like a form of theft deterant because if you don't know how a ratchet shifter works, it's hard to get it into gear. I had a car guy get in it and he couldn't figure out that you had to lift and pull back to get it out of park!!

Thank you US John,

I believe those are what I need...I believe that this shifter is no longer in production.

I don't have the cable nor the gizmo that goes into the transmission but I think I can buy those bits from B&M.

Ian.

Yeah, I've been using the shifter for a little over a year now. Everything works fine.

It's almost like a form of theft deterant because if you don't know how a ratchet shifter works, it's hard to get it into gear. I had a car guy get in it and he couldn't figure out that you had to lift and pull back to get it out of park!!

ha!

that's pretty funny.I never thought of that.

Thank you US John,

I believe those are what I need...I believe that this shifter is no longer in production.

I don't have the cable nor the gizmo that goes into the transmission but I think I can buy those bits from B&M.

Ian.

I think Hurst owns B&M..their parts should interchange...posibally

That is good !!! I was thinking of hiding a lock out switch like I did on my MG because it look like this car would be easy to break in to..

I did not know hurst owns B7W..can you get support via Hurst ?

Well I'll be...I guess a phone call is needed. Thanks USAJon.

I will report back.

Ian.

-
Back