Hush Mat, Peal And Seal, Lizard Skin

-

augiepaw

Reaction score
I'm getting to the point I need think about sound deadening material. I've been searching and reading. I'm more confused now than ever. I know dyna mat and hush mat are great. But with most of us I'm on a budget. I've been looking at peal and seal. I've heard both good and bad about the stuff. Use it, don't use it. I haven't seen anything that says it the best thing since sliced bread or anything that says NO WAY! It smells, no it dosen't smell. What is a person to do? In my search I've came across lizard skin. Its sound like some good stuff to paint on. But they are pretty proud of the stuff. I found out that lizard skin is just latex paint with micro ballons in it. Little glass balls about the thickness of your hair. You can make your own. I ran a search and there are site you can get the micro ballons for about $12.00 for enough to make a gallon. Mix with and exterior latex paint and you have lizard skin in the color you want. If you don't care what color you make, buy some wrong mixed paint for $10.00 a can and a bag of micro ballons and for about $25.00 you have your lizard skin. Waht is your guys opinion? What the best stuff to use? I live in Utah and we have a average of 5 days over 100. I was thinking of making my own lizard skin and peal and seal over that. Then paint the roof with homemade lizard skin. What do you think?

I bought the Summit branded sound deadening and in the box was Hush Mat without the Hush Mat price. Worked for me.

I'm sitting here at my computer desk looking at a $200 gallon of LizardSkin that still hasn't been opened (Billy uses it to raise his monitor LOL). Though the call should've been made before I bought the stuff, I learned from the company owner that I'll probably need TWO GALLONS to do the insides of the doors, the whole fastback portion, etc. So $400 worth of LizardSkin ... and another $150 for the special gun to apply it because it's so thick.

I was impressed with it at first -- otherwise I wouldn't have bought it at all -- but further research has revealed I could've made a much better choice. I've been waiting to read other purchasers' feedback but it's few and far between.

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

I read a on a web site that some one talked to a saleman at a trade show, and was told that Lizard skin was just exterior latex paint and the micro ballons. I found a site that sales the micro ballons. They suck the gases out of them so temperature has a hard time passing though them. They crush at 6000 psi. They are only $11.50 for a bag to a gallon of paint and they can be mixed with any paint. Some people was thinking of mixing them with por 15 or bedliner paint. But that seams like buying Lizard Skin would be just as cheap. I build safes and night deposit at work we paint them with exterior paint we we are done cutting and welding. That holds up great and drys rock hard. But they sit in banks their whole life. So I'm not sure how this will work. I'm goint to try.

micro balloons and glass balls are two different products. micro balloons is a filler, think bondo, thats used for fairing fiberglass boats. mixed with resin it comes out brown.
glass balls are what you want, much denser than micro balloons, not meant for sanding smooth like micro balloons are, and will provide good insulation. its white as snow in raw form and after mixing with resin.
i've got my por 15 down already, dusted it while still wet with spraybomb primer so i can paint over it. next will be latex paint with glass balls, then a layer of B-quiet sound deadener. B-quiet product is pretty inexpensive compared to other brands.
technical name for the glass balls is "inorganic microspheres"

Wow!
Great thread
Same situation here. I want to do something with my floor and firewall. There is no rust, and I would like to keep it that way.
I was shying away from the stick on stuff thinking this will not preserve and prevent rust.
Should I use the por-15?
thank you
George

I think the intended use of POR-15 is over rusty areas.
if you use POR-15 and intend to paint it, make sure you dust it with spraybomb cause the label says paint won't stick to it after the POR-12 is cured.
most reputable boat repair/supply stores would have glass balls in various amounts. i used it when building sailboats years back, its pretty tough stuff!

Great thread with some info I need, how about if you dont have any rust and used some rustoleum paint for the mix just for some cheap insurance? the underside of my roof has some surface rust probably from not having a headliner for the last 30 years (race car) and was thinking of something I could just brush on.

A buddy of mine who's dad has owned beissel racing here in michigan use to build custom roll cages for nascar and also did many other things for nascar and he said they would use rolled roofing sealant on the floors of the cars and it would make the cars extremely quite.

I myself on the my duster, wire wheels my floors,primed my floor and then painted my floors and then used an autobody sealant on the floor pans that dries to a hard rubber texture and knocks noise down a ton.....I then went to my local Menards (same as home depot and lowes) and I bot a large roll of aluminum foiled insulation barrier that is used alot of the time under vinyl siding or in attics or wrapped around ducting and so on ... ($15.00 for a 30 foot x 3 foot roll I think it was ) I will then brush contact cement on my floors and roll out sections of the material to contour to my floor pan and once it is all in place I will duct tape all the seams.

its almost like a heavy duty buble wrap with an aluminum foiled like type of backing on both sides.

plus when I put my new carpet kit in which already comes with I think almost half inch thick padding built in ....plus the carpet itself, I think it should be fairly quite and very cost effective.

Great thread with some info I need, how about if you dont have any rust and used some rustoleum paint for the mix just for some cheap insurance? the underside of my roof has some surface rust probably from not having a headliner for the last 30 years (race car) and was thinking of something I could just brush on.

that would be an excellent application. not sure about using oil based paint though, most users have used latex.

I ordered the inorganic microspheres from Hytech sales and measured out enough to mix with a half full qt. can of KBS Rust Seal I had and painted the inside of my firewall. It went on really good, ( I put in on with a small roller and a brush) but unlike the powdercoated looking finish the KBS Rust Seal leaves on everything else I painted with it. It leaves a flat textured finish. I took a piece of old body panel I had and cut a couple8"x8" squares and painted one piece with the homemade lizard skin and left one unpainted, set them up infront of a halogen lamp for a half a hour and the homemade lizard skin was about 5 degrees cooler then the unpainted piece. I going to get a can of exterior latex paint and try the test again with the three. Latex paint, KBS Rust Seal and unpainted. Maybe put two coats of latex and try.

I ordered the inorganic microspheres from Hytech sales and measured out enough to mix with a half full qt. can of KBS Rust Seal I had and painted the inside of my firewall. It went on really good, ( I put in on with a small roller and a brush) but unlike the powdercoated looking finish the KBS Rust Seal leaves on everything else I painted with it. It leaves a flat textured finish. I took a piece of old body panel I had and cut a couple8"x8" squares and painted one piece with the homemade lizard skin and left one unpainted, set them up infront of a halogen lamp for a half a hour and the homemade lizard skin was about 5 degrees cooler then the unpainted piece. I going to get a can of exterior latex paint and try the test again with the three. Latex paint, KBS Rust Seal and unpainted. Maybe put two coats of latex and try.

Got any pics??? This has really caught my interest.:-D

-
Back