HYD. CLUTCH KIT THOUGHTS ?

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
Who has a hydraulic clutch ? Is it worth it ? Any name brand better than others ? Is it a pain in the a** to install ?

I used one from American Powertrain in my big block Coronet. The installation took some time, but nothing I would call crazy. You give up a little firewall space for the master cylinder and pushrod. You also have to carefully measure clearances to select spacers for proper throwout bearing engagement. I'm using it with a McCleod dual disc diaphram clutch and so far, it's worked flawlessly. I would recommend heat wrapping the lines above the headers also.

I've got a McLeod set up on my 528 wedge.
Other than it being a pain to bleed it works great.It is a constant contact set up as are most late model stick cars. Setting up required shimming the bearing but the shims were included. I ran a longer whip hose and yes you need a clutch master. Wilwood can recommend a bore size. They are relatively cheap 85 or so. The bearing was about 425.
That being said my factory 4 spd set up on my Roadrunner works fine......

I have an American Powertrain hydraulic throw out bearing also in a big block Coronet. Works great, zero issues with it.

As mentioned already the bearing clearance takes a little time to set up but it’s not a big deal.

The other part of the install that can take some time is the firewall plate. It’s not complicated, just awkward with the column in the way. And you might need a helper to hold the stuff on the other side.

Pedal effort is smooth an linear, you don’t feel the point in the pedal travel when the clutch releases. No need to have an over-center spring.

I have an American Powertrain hydraulic throw out bearing also in a big block Coronet. Works great, zero issues with it.

Pedal effort is smooth an linear, you don’t feel the point in the pedal travel when the clutch releases. No need to have an over-center spring.

Do you have a Borg&Beck clutch with no over-center spring? Or a diaphragm clutch (which doesn't need an over-center spring regardless of having a hydraulic TOB or not).

On the other side of the question;
I find no issues with the factory set-up. Most of my life, since the 70s, I have run aftermarket 3-finger street clutches, and now, since 2000 a CenterForce diaphragm, which I like, and it works, maybe a lil too good for street, but for what I paid for it up here, it has to stay, lol. But the factory Z-bar systems that I have had in 50 plus years, have always worked flawlessly.

APEX Drivetrain Solutions is proudly owned and operated by well known transmission installation expert, Gray Fredrick, to help customers install a transmission the right way, something he knows backward and forward.
You searched for A833 - Apex Drivetrain Solutions

Gray used to work for Keisler and got out before that ship sunk. He is a pioneer of the Tremec installs in musclecars and is a Mopar guy.
He started his own company and supplied the hydralic kits to many of the Tremec dealers. He partnered with Eastside Motorsports Shop - EastSide Motorsports and has been with them for the past couple of years so if you order through his website Eastside fills the order. He is a Mopar guy so he gets my business.
I have used Eastside Motorsports as well on a T56 install and they had outstanding customer service. I was having an issue with my pilot bushing size and they bent over backwards mailing me a replacement overnight. They didn't have it in stock so the bought it from a competitor on their dime and sent it to me just to keep me making forward progress on my install.
That is the best a company can do so I vouch for them 100%.

Last edited:
You searched for A833 - Apex Drivetrain Solutions

Gray used to work for Keisler and got out before that ship sunk. He is a pioneer of the Tremec installs in musclecars and is a Mopar guy.
He started his own company and supplied the hydralic kits to many of the Tremec dealers like American Powertrain until they copied his kits and started having others do it or making the kits themselves. He partnered with Eastside Motorsports Shop - EastSide Motorsports and has been with them for the past couple of years so if you order through his website Eastside fills the order. He is a Mopar guy so he gets my business.
I have used Eastside Motorsports as well on a T56 install and they had outstanding customer service. I was having an issue with my pilot bushing size and they bent over backwards mailing me a replacement overnight. They didn't have it in stock so the bought it from a competitor on their dime and sent it to me just to keep me making forward progress on my install.
That is the best a company can do so I vouch for them 100%.

I got my Hydraulic TOB from Jamie Passon along with some other parts, and he dropped shipped from Eastside. I called their line to ask a question and they answered right away and were extremely helpful. So they get my business going forward. It's hard to find good companies you can actually talk to about issues.

for what is is worth, for me on non clearance issue installs, I am a fan of the (tweeked) OEM clutch linkage, but it sure is great to have the hydraulic option when needed. One downside to the hydraulic set is there is virtually no adjustment. You get what you got......but maybe that is a good thing.

-
Back