***Hydraulic cam recommend for my 273....

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
Hey gang...I want to go hydraulic cam in my 273...I'm tired of adjusting the stupid solids all the time. For those who don't know, its a 273 with 2bbl pistons, "'302" heads, thin head gaskets, Commando intake and 4295 Carter AFB, stock gearing, convertor and trans, dual exhaust thru stock manifolds.. I want something with a little "sound"...not too concerned with all out performance, after all it's just convertible cruiser anyway, not a race car.

I await your well-considered recommendations.

Do you have to adjust them (as often) if you were to use the locks? Just curious.

I've got the Crane adjusters with the locknuts in the stock cast-iron rockers...they just don't want to stay adjusted. Besides, its a pain-in-the-a** to get them adjusted just right...they're VERY finicky!

I have all the hydraulic valve gear here, so changing will be easy.

It was a thought. I figured those locks would certainly help, that's got to be disappointing.

It was a thought. I figured those locks would certainly help, that's got to be disappointing.

Thanks Bad...it is disappointing. Maybe its just me. Like I say, their finikey....I think I've got'em set, and the next time I start it, their clacking or not allowing 1(or more) valves to close. Its frustrating. Thats why I want to go to hydro lifters.

Maybe they are... Get a small voodoo or comp high energy...maybe a 268 high energy...shouldn't need any spring upgrade, and a very slight idle.

Ok, how about something near a stock 340 cam or a step or two above.

Somewhere above 265° duration or under 280° duration. Lunati, Crane make some nice cams.

Also throw in a set of Rhoades lifters.

If you want the most fuel economy, the Larry Shephard recommendation is to use the stock 360 2 bbl cam 252° duration and somewhere near .410" or .425" lift. That is what I'm going to use in my 360 for my 66 Valiant wagon with Rhoades lifters and shooting for 20 MPG.

I'm running a comp thumpr cam in my 273 and it sounds great with good low and mid range power. It's a great sounding cam that pulls good vacuum and was about $145 for cam. Txstang recommendations are good also.

I was thinking comp xe262 small but more aggressive than the stock 340 cam, any bigger probably lose too much bottom end.

Thanks guysl for the good recommends...

Krazy...not too worried about fuel economy...273 doesn't drink much anyway. I had another 273 years ago with a 340 cam in it...went pretty good, but no chunk, fer sure.

ProStocker...I was thinking about one of those...Didn't you say, in another thread, you had a video of yours running? Any chance you can post that please?

What CL would y'all get...110*...108*...???

I was going to recommend a mother thumper grind myself. Remember that the cams power range advertised in the magazines is usually chevy 350 based as grinds are somewhat universal on cam blanks, so a 268 duration on a 360 Mopar is going to act a little more radical on a 273.

I like the idea of the Thumper/Voodo cam design but iI don't remember hearing one in a 273.. If you're wanting to get away from adjusting valves, you will also need to change the lifters (of course), the pushrods, the rockers and the rocker shafts. You may also need to replace the timing chain and gears if needed. If you pick a standard grind, I would stay around the 260° range. Also remember that more lift needs bigger valve springs which you may also need to replace. tmm

Posts 7 & 8 ,make the most sense to me. Stock gearing & converter on a 273 with any Thumper grind,will be a bit grumpy.My.02.

I like the idea of the Thumper/Voodo cam design but iI don't remember hearing one in a 273.. If you're wanting to get away from adjusting valves, you will also need to change the lifters (of course), the pushrods, the rockers and the rocker shafts. You may also need to replace the timing chain and gears if needed. If you pick a standard grind, I would stay around the 260° range. Also remember that more lift needs bigger valve springs which you may also need to replace. tmm

Mike...got all the hydro gear....came with my '302 heads.

Thanks guysl for the good recommends...

Krazy...not too worried about fuel economy...273 doesn't drink much anyway. I had another 273 years ago with a 340 cam in it...went pretty good, but no chunk, fer sure.

ProStocker...I was thinking about one of those...Didn't you say, in another thread, you had a video of yours running? Any chance you can post that please?

What CL would y'all get...110*...108*...???

110 on a street motor.

This is what I have been running for 20 years or so:
Crower 31914
Adv. duration: 264/264
Duration at .050: 208/208
Lift: .427/.427
Lobe center: 110

Not really a thumper but it still revs quickly like a Commando should.

Still using the adjustable rockers and stock valve springs.

Something equivalent, a 268H Comp High Energy. .460 lift,218 @ .050 ,ground o a 110 lobe center.Should be slightly lopier,than what you have now. Run a couple of these,nice mild cam.

I honestly don't think you can do much better then what you have as far as the "solid" number currently in your combo. I posted in the other thread that I thought the Whiplash was better then the Thumper...And i still feel that way.

There are several hydraulics that will give you the mild performance you need/seek, along with using a single valve spring. But if you really need the "performance" sound, I'd talk to a cam grinder that can work a mid 4's lift into a 2teen duration along with a 104/106LSA.

I've got the Crane adjusters with the locknuts in the stock cast-iron rockers...they just don't want to stay adjusted. Besides, its a pain-in-the-a** to get them adjusted just right...they're VERY finicky!

I have all the hydraulic valve gear here, so changing will be easy.

Were the rockers prepared for the locknuts properly? They require a little machine work to stay locked good.

At any rate, I like this one for your combo.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4452759ac/overview/

Here's what I'm running now....

That's ok, but you can do much better, IMO. Exhaust manifolds respond well to a dual pattern camshaft. Look at the MP cam I just recommended. ^^^^^^^

-
Back