Hydraulic clutch?

-

68fastback

Reaction score
I have a 68 Plymouth Barracuda with an A-833 4 speed. My wife wants to drive this car but cant push the clutch very well. Is thier a hydraulic clutch kit for this car? I looked all over but am unable to finde one. I dont really want to alter the stock clutch but she will not let me spend any more $$$ on the car. Please please help me keep my car going.

I don't know. Have you considered installing a weaker pressure plate. I bought a kit for the torque bar (both ends, frame and engine ends) basiclly new balls and nylon bearings/bushings. Just cleaning everything, installing new pivots w/grease made a world of difference on the pressure required and I didn't even touch the pressure plate.
If that doesn't work buy her a stairmaster (ha ha)

Jim

i was looking to do a 4 speed swap in my belvedere and they had one for that i just figured they would for a bodys as well maybe email them and ask?

66valiantdave has one on his car I believe.

Dam guy is in Peru surfing though.....lol

Hey Dave. :thebirdm:

i used this one http://www.chucksclassiccars.com/index.php?item=HYDC833 it seems to work but my car is not totally road worthy

I used this one too, which even fitted well on the right hand side of the engine bay (my car is right hand drive) and is a much easier fit on left hand drive cars. It is well designed with the mount for the slave cylinder attaching to the transmission side plate and the mount has a swivel joint to allow the slave cylinder pushrod to move as the clutch fork moves.

The only thing in the kit that is purpose made is the slave cylinder mount, all other components are obtainable direct from manufacturer (eg. Wilwood master cylinder, slave cylinder).

As I unserstand, Keisler kits use an hyrdaulic throwout bearing which means if it fails you have to remove the transmission to replace it.

CIMG1010WEB.JPG

I replaced my clutch and pp with a centerforce unit and that was like going
to a hydraulic clutch.I dont know if all diaphram clutches are this way or just theres but you have to pull the transmission regardless of which way you choose.

Ditto for me as well......got a Centerforce Dual Friction and it almost feels like a Toyota Corolla.

Is it possible for you to install a Hydrolic throw out barring. I'm using one on my TKO-600 with a Spec clutch (I know specs are junk, but that's what I have for now). After I beat up the spec, I'm going McClaud. Anyways check into the Hydrolic throw out, that should make things a lot easier.

I installed a Mcleod in a customer's 64 dart with a magnum motor back in the day... The pedal was pretty soft compared to stock and you just about lost all "feel" of the clutch in the pedal. But it was really easy to install.

Yeah I agree with the above. Avoid the Keisler stuff if possible. They do use the Wilwood stuff for the later a-bodies. The early a-body slave is a custom piece. Seems to work good but the geometry could be better. I have a hydraulic throwout from Keisler. I think it was from a Ford Explorer or something.

blocking006.jpg

There's a website called Hotrodhydraulics.com they have a lot of cool stuff.check it out if you want to do a conversion to hydraulic.

-
Back