hydraulic roller lifters issues

-

gunmetal72

Life is a dark ride
Reaction score
I have finally got my block back from the machine shop and I was hoping to assemble it but it seems one of the lifter bores is chamfered more than the rest and oil groove on the hydraulic roller lifter peeks out the top of the lifter bore. I am not sure what is the best thing to do so hopefully some here has dealt with this issue. I was going to use to use the Hughes http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...el2=Um9sbGVy&level3=SHlkcmF1bGlj&partid=26114

1 - can I have the cam reground on that one lobe and if so would I need a different length push rod for that lifter?
2 - forget about the roller cam and just use hydraulic flat tappet cam?

Has anyone had this problem and what worked?

........I don't think u have any other choice but to bush the lifter bores to run the hyd roller, but that is dam expensive up here.....flat tappet may be in ur future.....kim.......

Do not try different base circle on one lobe, if a grinder agrees to do it, run like hell. You didnt mention what engine this is in, guessing 340 or 360 as these seem to be the blocks that have that issue worse than any others. I would have the bores sleeved as that is the correct way to fix. Lots of threads of people swapping lifters between brands but not sure that ever really fixes anything. This is the reason we use the Magnum block, eliminates lots of issues. Too late for that but dont do a cheap fix as it will bite you late down the road.

I am curious what year your block is and what lobe lift your cam has. I am heading down the same road.

Have you compared (as in measured) the lifters you have to the dimensions given on Hughes site? I have seen where people have reduced the base circle to get by.

I am curious what year your block is and what lobe lift your cam has. I am heading down the same road.

gross valve lift -intake 538, exhaust - 534,
Looks like its gonna be for sale if I can not take it back

Have you compared (as in measured) the lifters you have to the dimensions given on Hughes site? I have seen where people have reduced the base circle to get by.

Yes, they are exact to what the site says

could you regrind cam? Smaller base circle and use longer pushrods?

A lot of people have had this issue. I really don't know how to get it fixed with the hydraulic roller. You may have to bush the lifters bores. Very pricey and good luck finding someone local to do it right.

If you were running a SOLID roller it would be a simple fix.

I really don't understand the benefit of running a hydraulic roller cam........If you're gonna go roller, go solid. Valve adjustment is not a big deal and not required as much as some people think. 20 minutes...

Looks like you have some decisions to make. Good luck and keep us posted!

A lot of people have had this issue. I really don't know how to get it fixed with the hydraulic roller. You may have to bush the lifters bores. Very pricey and good luck finding someone local to do it right.

If you were running a SOLID roller it would be a simple fix.

I really don't understand the benefit of running a hydraulic roller cam........If you're gonna go roller, go solid. Valve adjustment is not a big deal and not required as much as some people think. 20 minutes...

Looks like you have some decisions to make. Good luck and keep us posted!

my hyd. rollers were always more noisy than the solid rollers in my 406 sbc, no matter how the hyd. were adjusted !

If the hughes lifters fix the problem why not just buy 1 pair or contact Mrl .The hyd roller will be more powerful plus no breakin worry.

If the hughes lifters fix the problem why not just buy 1 pair or contact Mrl .The hyd roller will be more powerful plus no breakin worry.

I tried the Hughes hyd roller, one lifter peeks out on one lifter bore.

If I was to go to solid roller lifters would I need to use a different and cam bearings?

I tried the Hughes hyd roller, one lifter peeks out on one lifter bore.

If you have 1 lifter that "peaks" out at full lift, I dont really see it as an issue. Its there for a nano second, and only 1 lifter. Its not the best for sure, but if it just barley peaks out, I dont see it causing a big issue unless its out for more than a "peak". Do you have pics????

I can see it causing an issue if it looses pressure and collapses, but it really is there for such a short period of time.

If you have 1 lifter that "peaks" out at full lift, I dont really see it as an issue. Its there for a nano second, and only 1 lifter. Its not the best for sure, but if it just barley peaks out, I dont see it causing a big issue unless its out for more than a "peak". Do you have pics????

I can see it causing an issue if it looses pressure and collapses, but it really is there for such a short period of time.

No, I never took any pics when I had the cam in the block. I afraid it would noisy if I used it the way it is. Is here any other hyd roller lifter that would work. Not sure how much of a difference it will make in HP if I go to a hyd flat tappet

Whne you say 'peeks', exactly how much? Measure it...it will make it easier to assess.

Its hard to get an exact measurement. I used a piece of 030 mig wire to try ad get some sort of idea and the gap is no bigger than the wire. I do not really understand what exactly gets ground on the cam. The base circle on the cam is the under side of the lobe and if so how does that lower the lifter in the bore when the lobe lifts the lifter. Or does it get ground where the cam bushings ride which would mean over sized cam bushings. Can someone explain this to me (simple words,lol)

Its hard to get an exact measurement. I used a piece of 030 mig wire to try ad get some sort of idea and the gap is no bigger than the wire. I do not really understand what exactly gets ground on the cam. The base circle on the cam is the under side of the lobe and if so how does that lower the lifter in the bore when the lobe lifts the lifter. Or does it get ground where the cam bushings ride which would mean over sized cam bushings. Can someone explain this to me (simple words,lol)

cam lift is on top of the base circle so reducing the base circle then regrinding the cam back to its original characteristics reduces the over all height of the lifter in the bore at max lift

cam lift is on top of the base circle so reducing the base circle then regrinding the cam back to its original characteristics reduces the over all height of the lifter in the bore at max lift

If I had the cam re-ground 030, would that lower the lifter in the bore the same amount at max lift?

Are you having this issue with the Hughes lifters, or are you considering getting them to fix the problem? I think MRL also has lifters with the oil ring lowered just for the uneven lifter bore heights in in small blocks. I would get the lifters before having the cam reground. At least that way, you can sell the other lifters and recoup part of your money.

-
Back