Hypermites 74 Duster 440

-

hypermite

Reaction score
Got the "bottom end" just about buttoned up. just need to read the istructions on how to set up the gear drive. (I've never used one) also my Schumacher install "kit" showed up today ! these headers look KILLER!!

Attachments

• all 164.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 445
  • all 165.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 448
I've heard that the noisy gear drives cause too much harmonic distortion/vibration (or something like that) to the crank and cam. Anyone ever hear that?

Ive heard its harder on the engine but I dont remember what it was, but then again the sound is worth it! How much that kid cost im going to rebuild mine when I get back off this deployment? Oh and i love those headers I kick myself everyday for not getting those instead of the reg ones i got

Ive heard its harder on the engine but I dont remember what it was, but then again the sound is worth it! How much that kid cost im going to rebuild mine when I get back off this deployment? Oh and i love those headers I kick myself everyday for not getting those instead of the reg ones i got

The kit was about a grand. that includes the engine mount brackets with polyurethane bushings, the ceramic coated headers & the torque strap. Plus all the hardware.I had to pay sales tax (Washington) so mine was about $1060. As for the harmonics, I suppose if you had a real high rpm race engine that you were holding at 6000 + rpm for long perods, harmonics through the gear drive might be an issue. But this is more of a cruiser, so I'm not worried about it.

Got a wild hare & pulled the 318 today.( Unusually warm 50 degrees mid December) It fought me a little more than I'm used to, but it's out, & No blood spilled, I must be getting better at this. Next step is to clean the engine bay & trial fit the BB 727. If it were up to me, All those right angle oil filter adapters would to be thrown into the deepest, darkest places in Hell.

Attachments

• 318 out 004.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 363
  • 318 out 006.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 359
  • 318 out 009.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 366
  • 318 out 010.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 365
Put the 440 in Sat. went in pretty easy, I only had to clearance the k-frame a bit for oil filter clearance. Just have to plumb & wire everything & install the trans.

Attachments

• 440 install 006.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 350
  • 440 install 017.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 352
I can't wait to see those headers in there!
I am contiplating a build just like this one.

doesn't look like too little fuel gonna be a problem.....lookin good!!

Trans is in, engine is plumbed, just have to hookup kickdown cable,extend wiring to distributor, pre-lube, adjust valve lash, set timing & light off!!

Attachments

• update II 005.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 270
  • update II 003.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 272
ya thats looking real good. you have any problem fitting the headers in? Mine where a pain

ya thats looking real good. you have any problem fitting the headers in? Mine where a pain

Thanks for the kind words everyone, The passenger header went in easy, I probably could have thrown it in place from across the shop. Driver side was a bit of a pain, I had to unbolt the engine & jack it WAY up & over to get it in. Schumachers literature might be a little misleading when it says
" Easy to install, even with the engine in place." but as far as headers go, they are still pretty easy to get in.

NOTE: To anyone using these headers, lay the drivers side header in the engine compartment, tie it in place, then lower the engine in next to it, this will save you about a half hour of work .

this is very true and what made me mad is i had to rent a picker put engine in came back two later to do headers after i turned picker in... well I guess you know that went...

This is a bump for 4fortydemon, Who I found out owned the car back in 2006! (As you can see,I replaced the auto parts store steering wheel & outside mirrors too) & since I don't smoke, I filled the ashtray up with gauges!

Attachments

• 440demon 001.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 219
  • 440demon 005.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 221
  • 440demon 007.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 210
OH MAN!! Looks soo sweet! I see someone added the cool stripe to the hood. I added the scoop when I bought it. Same wheels on that since 2006 still looks bitchin' !
Yes very cool car. Now it has he balls to back up the looks. Kudos dude. I'll have to keep in touch and ask ya for tips when I do my schumacher 440 install in the Demon.
My kids are gonna flip when they see these pics.

Not looking bad for mostly original paint/stripe on that car too!

This is a reproduction rear spoiler I got from CJ Pony Parts (Mustang parts) they were having a sale on these for $99.00 So I couldn't pass it up. The surface was a little rough & had some pinholes that needed filling ( I just used some spot putty, and most of that came off with a green scotch-Brite pad.) I finished it off with Rustoleum semi-gloss black. It's not a bad part for the price. Also got the Mickey Thompson E/T Street radials I ordered (295-55-15) These tires stick like CRAZY!

Attachments

• swap meet & spoiler 014.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 127
  • swap meet & spoiler 015.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 141
  • swap meet & spoiler 018.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 138
Looks great. Did you keep the column shifter with the big block?

Did you have any problems with the linkage? My neighbor is thinking about going with a 440 and Schumachers. He wants to keep it on the column.

-
Back