***Hypothetical Q---Thumpr/Whiplash cam in a 273?***

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
Whats the general opinion on running a Whiplash or Thumpr cam in a basically stock 273-2bbl engine?...stock convertor, 3:23 gears, dual exhaust w/ manifolds.....Anyone done it????

I'm running a thumper cam in my 273. Runs great, right now I have 2.94:1 gears and it has good low end power and sounds great.

Run the smaller 318 version of the Whiplash. Should sound nice and run great! I wouldn't run the Thumper if I had a choice, they are good cams but I'm not sure if they are ground to take advantage of the .904 mopar lifter. Hughes are, and subsequently you get better ramp rate, and performance if you ask me. Especially if you use the adjustable rockers. Just my 2 cents. I run the 340/360 version whiplash in my otherwise stock 360'and it runs string for being 9:1, stock small valve iron heads, 750 carb and 3.23 gears. My buddy degree'd it in and it is sharp! Burns the tires throught 1st easy even with 275/50 drag radials.

While your at it convert over to a nice 4bbl intake and carb. 600cfm Street Demon is a great carb!

My 318 had a thumpr cam and 10.2:1, it made a really broad torque curve but really needs 2500 stall to work properly.

I tried using the stock stall and it was a pain in the neck.

using a stock stall limits your cam's duration or else driving becomes very uncomfortable and difficult.

If the idle speed is set normally (800-1200rpm) the engine will die when you put it into gear.
if you raise the idle, it will go into gear but not without going "BANG" and trying to jump 2ft forward which will quickly turn your trans to aluminum stew.

Also if you're not planning on increasing the compression ratio to about 9.5:1 then I would suggest you choose a camshaft with less duration

-
Back