Hypothetical

-

Quantum53

Reaction score
I know this is going to cause a lot of hate and discontent. At one time it used to matter. Now I'm at the age as the saying goes, "Lets do it and see what the hell happens."

First off I'm not into numbers matching. For those that are, so be it. To me a true numbers matching would be just as it came delivered. That means, original plugs, tires wipers, etc. In other words, "put it in storage or a museum." I say you build as you want and as in the old days, use what works.

So here is the Hypothetical;

A '69 Dart GTS, Swinger, has numbers on dash, radiator support, trunk lip, engine and trans. You have one with correct numbers on dash, engine and trans, it even has original rear. However the radiator support and quarter have been replaced due to accident or rust. What is it? Not numbers matching. Period correct? Just another Dart?

That's a dilemma for sure. If you have the accident story you will need some paperwork and photos to back the story up. Otherwise it's just a story.

No pictures, just a hypo. What do you do if the vehicle was clipped as in past. Front half "340, 383" and rear was clipped with a /6.

I know this is going to cause a lot of hate and discontent. At one time it used to matter. Now I'm at the age as the saying goes, "Lets do it and see what the hell happens."

First off I'm not into numbers matching. For those that are, so be it. To me a true numbers matching would be just as it came delivered. That means, original plugs, tires wipers, etc. In other words, "put it in storage or a museum." I say you build as you want and as in the old days, use what works.

So here is the Hypothetical;

A '69 Dart GTS, Swinger, has numbers on dash, radiator support, trunk lip, engine and trans. You have one with correct numbers on dash, engine and trans, it even has original rear. However the radiator support and quarter have been replaced due to accident or rust. What is it? Not numbers matching. Period correct? Just another Dart?
Or wrong engine, just another Dart with a GTS badge on it. IMO.

No pictures, just a hypo. What do you do if the vehicle was clipped as in past. Front half "340, 383" and rear was clipped with a /6.
After all it is the same car. Just a different option level.

Plain and simple, Without the correct numbers it isn't really a GTS as far as everybody is concerned. You can't prove it's originality with a story of it's past history without some proof.

It's a car that's been wrecked and repaired. Regardless of it's original configuration, it's probably not worth as much as an unwrecked car. It's worth is determined by what any one person will pay for it, so there's that wild card. Unless you're're talking about an appraisal for insurance or auction estimate, which would be lower.

Ok, lets take another step. A "GTS, Swinger," all original engine, trans, rear, original radiator support in place and dash with vin, major rust on quarter, floor boards ,trunk, basically swiss cheese. Would cost too much to repair, sitting beside a good /6 or 318 car. Transfer everything, and I mean everything from one to the other. Now what?

Ok, lets take another step. A "GTS, Swinger," all original engine, trans, rear, original radiator support in place and dash with vin, major rust on quarter, floor boards ,trunk, basically swiss cheese. Would cost too much to repair, sitting beside a good /6 or 318 car. Transfer everything, and I mean everything from one to the other. Now what?
Now your entering illegal territory

Wouldn't touch the vin itself, the whole dash. Explain how someone changes to a ralley dash and never transfers the vin.

Wouldn't touch the vin itself, the whole dash. Explain how someone changes to a ralley dash and never transfers the vin.

Buy the reproduction rivits, and put the tag on the car to which it belongs. Or use drywall screws, staples, glue, whatever. Make a nice clone, fine, but swapping VINs will eventually result in fraud and larceny.

I've got an A12 with a speed hole that cut away most of the stamp on the rad support.

Doesn't mean you have to remove the VIN, if you swap the dash with the VIN from another car on it, you've crossed that line.

look at this build and tell me what this car is legally or ethically ?

Guess depends if your not telling the buyer the full story behind your build, unless its some high dollar collectors car and selling it as one otherwise it probably doesn't matter to much.

I feel that if the hypo car was not bought new and stored untouched ( modified in any way ) it's just another car . I see alot of "M CODE " pieced together with parts from who knows how many vehicles , JUST another car. Other cars listed for sale as 340 , 4 spd bla bla bla, wrecked and rusted and drive train gone, JUST another rust bucket that someone is hyping up to get the most for it as possible. On the other hand I have seen where old car dealerships have saved a car from new , just a few miles on it from moving it around the showroom. Now if you can get ahold of one of those, THEN you have something. Everything else is just another car. It's your money and your car, do what you like. But like the old British folk rocker says, " Don't lay no Boojie woojie on the King of Rock and Roll.

Last edited:
It's a car that's been wrecked and repaired. Regardless of it's original configuration, it's probably not worth as much as an unwrecked car. It's worth is determined by what any one person will pay for it, so there's that wild card. Unless you're're talking about an appraisal for insurance or auction estimate, which would be lower.

x2. Due to an event in it's life, it is no longer verifiable as "numbers matching". Value is affected. That's the reality. The rest is all emotional complications. That's the bare truth.

Anyone remember going to some big Mopar shows and seeing blank Vin Tags ,fender tags, blank build sheets and original window stickers for sale?
Just fill in the #s and you have what ever you want.

-
Back