I’m not much into dyno numbers.

-
I have run into that before. Sometimes they just want it broke in and don't even want a dyno sheet. They just want to know that the motor is ok and not leaking oil. Not how I would do it but for them it might make sense.
Some customers don't know how to properly set timing, adjust valves or tune a carburetor so they hire someone who does. I encourage customers to watch their motor be dynoed. Some will use this as a learning opportunity but some don't care to learn they just want to enjoy the benefits well tuned motor in their car. Nothing wrong with that either.

Some of the motors I dyno will never see a racetrack. Most will never see a dragstrip. Most of the motors I do are for the circletrack. They are not interested in a time slip from a dragstrip but still want the motor to perform to it's full potential.
But they still have a "proving ground". You're splittin hairs.

No it’s for a bragging spreadsheet
Now you're going the direction I was talking about. This is why most guys do it. But, I've said all through this, dynos are good tools. You can break in, tune and optimize. But no matter how you slice it, a dyno is different from a CAR. A dyno will never BE a car.

Quit laughing I’m in my therapy room with my kitty cats.

looking up disgusting pics to post! lol

Now you're going the direction I was talking about. This is why most guys do it. But, I've said all through this, dynos are good tools. You can break in, tune and optimize. But no matter how you slice it, a dyno is different from a CAR. A dyno will never BE a car.
I agree with most of what you're saying.
I can't speak for all dynos but in my case hardly anyone comes for a bragging rights dyno sheet. Around here people are pretty tight lipped about their motor program.
I'm curious, how do you view a chassis dyno?

Last edited:
I can't speek for all dynos but in my case hardly anyone comes for a bragging rights dyno sheet. Around here people are pretty tight lipped about their motor program.

Even worse BUT we have a local chassis dyno that has a tuner that is available to tune guys cars for them. These cars have gotten so simple but yet so complicated to tune for many. If I had a 2020 Hellcat that I wanted to tune up I would have to seal help. I don’t and never will but that’s way over my pay grade. I’m stuck in the 1970’s technology. But it’s scary and very untrustworthy some of the numbers I hear at every car show or cruise.

I can't speak for all dynos but in my case hardly anyone comes for a bragging rights dyno sheet. Around here people are pretty tight lipped about their motor program.
I think a chassis dyno is a good tool too......probably better since it includes the whole car. Even still, all you have in the end is information........which is good, but time slips are better. lol

-
Back