I am so confused. What pitman arm do I need? Idler?

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 1973 scamp that originally had power steering and column shift. I changed to a manual box with a column adapter. I am not sure what pitman arm I have. I just bought a flaming river small sector 16:1 manual box and I want to get the correct pitman arm. I think it is a moog 7075, but I am not sure. I have a RB motor installed, Qa1 k frame, stock idler and link. Am I correct on using the 7075? How do you know when an idler is bad? It is old, but worn??
IMG-2730.jpg

Oil pan and link are loose in the pic. Waiting on a new pan

There are 4 pieces there that must go together, regardless of the year of the car or K member. The pitman must fit the box (small vs large spline) and the pitman, center link and idler must be either in the (67) 68--72 group or the 73/ and later group. The tapers point the opposite direction (up/ vs down) in the early vs late groups.

Standby..........

Early setup has tapers pointing "up" nuts on top

attachment-jpg.jpg

Late (73/ later) the nuts are on the bottom

attachment-jpg.jpg

The idler is worn when you can push pull the center link up/ down and it moves appreciably. I don't know just what "if any" spec that is, but certainly more than 3/8" I'd be suspect

Big Block Dart "old website" tech pages

Tech Index

Looking at the site posted above, I'd say the 7075 is what you want........small spline pitman, late style components

Last edited:
Thanks Del, it looks like I have the correct link an idler . I will test for extra play tomorrow

-
Back