I am so pissed that I want to rip someone’s head off

-

Oklacarcollecto

Life is an experiment
Reaction score
I finally got a water contract from the City of Stillwater where I wasn't paying 1 1/2 times the city rate. The water bill for the rental property was about to put me out of business because our water rate is so high and is increased every six months. In the contract I had to install a backflow preventer which is also known as a Reduced Pressure Zone Valve. I have spent thousands of dollars to get this on line. I have it ready and it exceeds all the codes. I went with the strainer, all stainless steel food quality nipples, air gap fitting (wasn't required) and built a enclosure that is 3 inch Styrofoam with white painted aluminum on each side. This is done above and beyond right.

In my contract I have to have this inspected by a backflow certified technician and since there are a few backflow preventers in the area that I am aware of. I have a lot of friends that are plumbers the area that install them so I called about getting set up on an automatic yearly inspection as required by my contract. Come to find out there is no backflow certified technician in a town of nearly 50,000. So I email the head of the City of Stillwater Utilities Authority Director and he sends me a list of 5 names after his employee gets the names from Plumbers and Pipefitters Training Center in Oklahoma City. Closest one is 30 miles away and some as far as 90 miles away. I call them all and nobody will come to our town because they have all they can handle. I fully understand that. What this tells me is that there isn’t a single valve in this city that is certified and on a yearly certification program as required by law.

I contact the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality (ODEQ) to see what license this falls under since they are the ones that license the water and waste water people in Oklahoma. They are also the agency that set the time when the law went in to effect. By the way I have a class D in both water and waste water and my system is state and EPA certified so that allows me to do the work within my license qualifications. I am thinking if the class D covers the testing I will go to the classes and take the tests to become certified. It would be a cash cow since there are only 5 certified testers in the state according to the pipe fitters. The Department Of Environmental Quality tells me they have no classes or licensing procedure set up but they are thinking about it. They tell me to get in touch with the Oklahoma State Construction Industries Board. WTH, ODEQ made the law and now I have spent thousands of dollars and can’t get it certified?

Off to the Construction Industries Board of the State Oklahoma as directed by the ODEQ. Ask a question to them and they forward you to a voice mail that says he is in the office and leave your information then he will return your call. 30 hours pass and no call so I call again and back to voice mail. Yesterday I found a link on their website to ask a question. I very carefully and accurately described what I needed to know and furnished them contact information and have heard nothing. I have a licensed plumber that is willing to get certified and I can’t get an answer out of them about that training, they send me to another voicemail that is never returned. Call again and the same thing.

We have Oklahoma State University so I called them and got a wonderful lady in the BIOSYSTEMS/AGRICULTURAL ENGINEERING department. Agriculture deals with backflow and soil so she checked with her superior that was in and they have no one either. She is going to check with her other superior and see if he knows anything.

I have been at this for two days and stay camped on the phone waiting for a phone call during business hours. What they have done is to create a law and there is no one to service the requirements plus there is nothing set up to get people certified so everyone just passes the buck or doesn’t respond.

I am 10 days out from being in violation of my contract and 40 days out from the possibility it could be cancelled because I can’t get the new valve certified. I am so pissed that I am so pissed that I want to rip someone’s head off

Sorry about the long rant but I needed to vent!!

As a fellow OKie, I understand your concern.
How about the tax that we pay on tires when you register a car .
This is to pay for the state owned tire shreader that we don't have!
We are also charged a disposal fee when we buy replacement tires.
This has been in effect for at least ten years.
I did go round & round with my tag agent when they tried to charge me for five tires on my daughters Crossfire. It doesn't have a spare tire! That took a week to get cleared up.
We are the reddest state in the union, & it's still screwed up by government!
Just remember one thing, if they say they are from the goverment & here to help you, just hang onto your ***!

Check with the Ok. plumbing board. They should have zones with field reps and they should be able to approve it as they issue the licenses.

Sounds like a story for the local news station.

absolutely , this needs to be smeared all over news and the net and to anyone who will listen. sorry to hear about your troubles Bill. Hopefully theres some light at the end of the tunnel

As a fellow OKie, I understand your concern.
How about the tax that we pay on tires when you register a car .
This is to pay for the state owned tire shreader that we don't have!
We are also charged a disposal fee when we buy replacement tires.
This has been in effect for at least ten years.
I did go round & round with my tag agent when they tried to charge me for five tires on my daughters Crossfire. It doesn't have a spare tire! That took a week to get cleared up.
We are the reddest state in the union, & it's still screwed up by government!
Just remember one thing, if they say they are from the goverment & here to help you, just hang onto your ***!

You are a better men than I am, I never did get around not having to pay for a spare. I buy my new tires off tirerack.com and they are cheaper and no fees as a general rule. Most of the time I have a good used set that I saved off a junker.

absolutely , this needs to be smeared all over news and the net and to anyone who will listen. sorry to hear about your troubles Bill. Hopefully theres some light at the end of the tunnel

I have a few more levels to go up before the media. If they pull my contract I will get everything turned inside out.

Help me understand a little bit more here. What is this back flow going into? A foundation drain or a sanitary sewer of some sort?? Lastly, who exactly told you it had to be installed?

First I am sorry about your troubles. It sucks dealing with the government. Second you didn't mention it but did you ask any of the 5 certified people how they got certified? Might be worth a shot.
~Michael

I

What this tells me is that there isn’t a single valve in this city that is certified and on a yearly certification program as required by law.

Not Realy that's an assumption on your part. One are all of them could have found someone to certtify them. However if you are correct and they are all in violation and they single you out. You have a serious law suit. I know you have already spent a lot of money on this. If it was me I would throw a little more at a good lawyer.

Help me understand a little bit more here. What is this back flow going into? A foundation drain or a sanitary sewer of some sort?? Lastly, who exactly told you it had to be installed?

It is a valve that stops the water from back flowing back on the municipality water system so it can't be contaminated. It has a higher pressure on the city side and about a 2 pound drop on the owners side. If the city side drops off quick it locks the water so it can't backflow. It is actually a Federal mandated law that has been on the books for seceral years.

Example: A pest control person is filling a 200 gallon tank with water after he has already put the chemicals in. A backhoe is digging 2 blocks away and hits the main city water line. The hose will back siphon everything that it can back in to the water system and possibly poison hundreds of people downline when the water main is repaired. This will be the comming thing and is required already on new construction in some states. I have no problem installing this because it is a public saftey issue.

At least you put an air gap on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear all the hassle

Have you tried to contact your state reprentative? I don't know how it is in Oklahoma, but they can help alot in Missouri, for things like this.

First I am sorry about your troubles. It sucks dealing with the government. Second you didn't mention it but did you ask any of the 5 certified people how they got certified? Might be worth a shot.
~Michael

Yes, they attend a class in OKC that is given very seldomly and they have to recertify so that will limit future class sizes for new testers unless the state gets a program going. I have spoken with the instructor directly. That is one of the two places in the state that offers the class. I also talked to the other one and they haven't given the class for quite a while. Both of these instructors are older based off the voice tone. What has happened is that until this year Oklahoma hasn't been doing what they were supposed to execpt in the OKC and Tulsa area and now they are pushing it. Those that did train have been doing all the business and others didn't bother to train because Oklahoma wasn't enforcing the law. Now they are starting to and it is a mess.

I

What this tells me is that there isn’t a single valve in this city that is certified and on a yearly certification program as required by law.

Not Realy that's an assumption on your part. One are all of them could have found someone to certtify them. However if you are correct and they are all in violation and they single you out. You have a serious law suit. I know you have already spent a lot of money on this. If it was me I would throw a little more at a good lawyer.

The plumbers that have installed them told me that they never had any certified. There is no one in the state that is licensed that has been comming to Stillwater that I have found. The city couldn't even provide any testers and they had to call the instructor to get the names I have.

I have this under control... The instructor contacted one of the five and explained my situation and he has agreed to come do it Sunday or Monday.

Check with the Ok. plumbing board. They should have zones with field reps and they should be able to approve it as they issue the licenses.

They won't return calls or answer emails. Oklahoma just doesn't have trained people and with the budget cuts they have even cut back on the amount of tests they will give for a water or waste water operator this year.

This is far from over even though I will have my valve certified because there will be the same problem next year.

excellent, they should feel lucky someone didnt get decapitated lol

So true.... If my plumber doesn't get certified, I will get in the class if there is enough room and get certified. He said the journeymen plumbers will be in first but if there is extra room he would try to get me in so there would be someone in Stillwater.

This is far from over even though I will have my valve certified because there will be the same problem next year.

Wow, Am I glad I don't live there. I have six properties that the city required I have them installed at over the last ten years.

I haven't had anyone ever check back since I had them installed.

Wow, Am I glad I don't live there. I have six properties that the city required I have them installed at over the last ten years.

I haven't had anyone ever check back since I had them installed.

This will be the thing that will be a strong market in every state as far as jobs because it will be comming to every place soon.

It wouldn't have been a big deal if the state had gotten a training program in place and gave notice this was going to happen on a certian date. I have owned this state licensed system since 1996 and still today the state has yet to put out the information to us. The state still has no plans for a training program in place even though this train wreck is comming and they know it. The EPA took over the ODEQ back in the 90s because they were so far out of compliance. I think it was 3 years before control was turned back over to the state.

One time at a job I worked a woman came by and told us we needed a containment barrier around the outside waste oil tank. My boss said no problem. He asked her what size would he have to build it to be big enough. She said she didn't know what size it should be. So he asked if he could contact the person who would be inspecting the barrier. She said she would be the one to inspect it. How can you inspect something you know nothing about my boss cried. She got all pissed off and said just build it and she will back to inspect it. Talk about a bunch of bullshit. Our government hard at work with their heads up their asses!

-
Back