I bought an mg today

-

mischiefdart

Reaction score
I found a 1974 midget with factory hardtop on Craigslist for cheap! Needs a fair amount if work but should be a fun commuter that gets good milage. Has 1275cc motor with a weber dgv on it. Awful setup! I am going to make a twin 34mm mikuni set up for it.

Start looking for another one...
Everyone that I know that has/had MG's, drove one and used one for parts.
C

I have an 80 MGB that I want to sell or might end up parts

In my opinion they are money pits and don't get that great of gas mileage.

Spent quite a bit on this one getting it to run and it still don't. Had head rebuilt then the fuel pump was leaking, SO I WAS TOLD! Never touched it since except to push it around.

Fuel pump when I bought the one that is leaking $140

All I can say is GOOD LUCK

They are ridiculously maintenance intensive; Whitworth!!!!, not metric, 74 should be "negative earth", might still be positive earth though, anything below 72deg F and it won't start, that is untill you learn "the drill".

Spaners, tommy bars, grudgen pins, "offering" parts to one another during assembly.............Things British give you a whole new perspective on design philosophy, and mechanical construction.........if you can find the mind set, you are a lucky, lucky man

GOOD LUCK

Transplant a 340, 904 and an 8.25. Then rewire the whole thing. Problem solved.

Back in the mid to late 80's, somebody here in town had an MGB with a 2.3 turbo motor out of a T Bird in it. Sucker ran like a bat outta hell !

Nothing wrong with them, they're fun little cars. You do need to learn your way around the mechanicals on the car, they're a bit different and do need some fairly frequent tweaking to keep them in shape.

I daily drove a '56 Austin Healey 100 for several years while I was in school, I was doing 60 miles a day with it. Drove the same car 24 hrs one way from California to Silver Star, BC Canada and back without a hitch, and made several NorCal to SoCal trips with it in college.

A '74 won't have much if anything in the way of whitworth hardware on it, that was mainly the early ones. By '74 they should be almost entirely standard hardware. Webers are actually the performance set up for those cars, although I'm not much of a Weber expert, I ran dual 1 3/4" SU's on mine.

People talk a lot of crap about the Brit cars, especially on the maintenance side of things. They are "unique", but once you've learned how to speak their "language" they do just fine. Most of the people that complain don't have the foggiest idea of how to work on them. Just like people that trash talk Mopars, its usually because they don't know what they're talking about.

Healey.jpg

Love the healy 72bluNblu. A friend of mine has a 3000 but I am not sure what year it is. I drove an mgb for a few years back in the late eighties. It made a road trip from Philadelphia to Gainesville and back. Great little car but the motor started using too much oil so I lost interest. Looking forward to making the twin mikuni set up. The weber dgv is by far not a performance carb. They are a progressive linkage down draft two barrel and not worth messing with. Pulled the one off that came on the mgb and put the stock hif4 su's on it. Much better.

2 of my buddies bought mg's new in '74. if 1 of them wasn't in the shop, the other 1 was. they are cool little cars but you're way ahead to buy a miata.

2 of my buddies bought mg's new in '74. if 1 of them wasn't in the shop, the other 1 was. they are cool little cars but you're way ahead to buy a miata.

Except for the loss of your soul, mancard, balls, and anything else that resembles dignity or deserves respect.

But other than that; wait, no, it'd still be a Miata. Nevermind.

I'd rather push an MG everywhere I wanted to go than drive a miata.

Even my cold dead corpse would refuse to be seen in one. :finga:

Transplant a 340, 904 and an 8.25. Then rewire the whole thing. Problem solved.

no way, IMO small cars like that need fun high winding engines. Given that the car weighs nothing, i'd try to squeeze an S2000 motor or 1st gen M3 motor(both high winding 240hp 4cyl motors)

Except for the loss of your soul, mancard, balls, and anything else that resembles dignity or deserves respect.

But other than that; wait, no, it'd still be a Miata. Nevermind.

I'd rather push an MG everywhere I wanted to go than drive a miata.

Even my cold dead corpse would refuse to be seen in one. :finga:

I don't understand this hatred of the miata. Sure in stock forum the early one's are really barbie car looking, but put some track parts and they get cool looking quickly and are serious performers on a road course(and straight line if you want to add a turbo and internal mods)

I don't understand this hatred of the miata. Sure in stock forum the early one's are really barbie car looking, but put some track parts and they get cool looking quickly and are serious performers on a road course(and straight line if you want to add a turbo and internal mods)

While I normally have respect for things that handle well on the track, I can't do it for Miata's. Don't care. There is not one single redeeming thing about those cars. I'd rather drive a Yugo.

And its not the barbie car looks either. I like MG's, bugeye sprite's, all kinds of little Brit cars that look just as "barbie car" as a Miata. Heck maybe even more so in some cases.

I think it comes from their delusional owners calling them "sports cars". Maybe if they called them "the death of everything we ever knew as, or considered to be, a sports car" I wouldn't be so affected. But yeah, I think the hatred comes from the very existence of the Miata being an insult to the spirit of the sports car. The fact that miata owners some how think they're carrying on the sports car tradition just adds further insult.

While I normally have respect for things that handle well on the track, I can't do it for Miata's. Don't care. There is not one single redeeming thing about those cars. I'd rather drive a Yugo.

And its not the barbie car looks either. I like MG's, bugeye sprite's, all kinds of little Brit cars that look just as "barbie car" as a Miata. Heck maybe even more so in some cases.

I think it comes from their delusional owners calling them "sports cars". Maybe if they called them "the death of everything we ever knew as, or considered to be, a sports car" I wouldn't be so affected. But yeah, I think the hatred comes from the very existence of the Miata being an insult to the spirit of the sports car. The fact that miata owners some how think they're carrying on the sports car tradition just adds further insult.

having its own national level racing class, dominating local autocross events and from the factory has a chassis that is a great foundation for cheap auto racing...not a sports car?

having its own national level racing class, dominating local autocross events and from the factory has a chassis that is a great foundation for cheap auto racing...not a sports car?

Nope. You could create a national level racing class for Yugo's if you wanted to. Just takes money and a bunch of people tricked into racing Yugo's.

Which is why Mazda worked so hard to create the racing class for the Miata. Instant credibility. The conversation goes:

"Hey, those miata's are soul-less little garbage cans on wheels".

"No way, they're sports cars"

"Yeah right, you're delusional."

"No really! See, look, they have their own racing class."

Ta-daa. The soul-less little garbage can on wheels becomes a sports car. All it took was Mazda pushing the sports aspect of the car. They held Miata racing events, sponsored races, you name it, they did it. Brilliant marketing, got to give them credit for that.

But Miata's are "sport car lite". They have just enough performance to trick the uninformed into thinking they might be a sports car. But they have no soul, no character, no style like sports cars used to have. But fool enough people into thinking they're sports cars and viola, they're sports cars.

And the very definition of "sports car" has suffered because of it. True, Mazda has improved the performance of the Miata as the model has evolved. But the damage was done.

A sports car used to have style, panache, character. A lot of the old sports cars weren't actually very sporty if you look at the performance numbers. But they had something else too. Spirit, bravado, whatever. And that was more important than just the performance numbers. Which was a fact totally lost on Mazda. Because on that definition, a Miata can NEVER be a sports car. Don't care how fast it goes, how well it handles, or how many racing classes there are.

So yeah, I'd take an old MG over a brand new Miata any day, and I don't care that it would hand my @** in an autocross.

My buddy is putting a LS motor into a Miata. Will that be considered a sports car?!? He's not going to Autocross it or anything, just for fun and surprising people.

Back to the original topic. My boss back in the eighties started his own shop after local MG dealership closed down. That means we worked on every MG and Morris in town. He was a knowledgeable guy and I was a wise *** kid, but I learned a lot working on those cars. Cut my teeth so to speak. I was driving a 340 four speed Duster at the time, but those cars taught me patience!!!

I agree, I would rather drive a spitfire than a Miata..

I had my mg b gt for 27 years. Other than your basic maintenance it was great. The only time I ever had a problem with it was when I let a "professional" mechanic work on it. Even drove it in the winter for two years when I was a student and it was great in the snow..mind you, if I was running in large drifts the engine bay would fill up with snow.

In terms of fit and finish and the quality of work that was done on the car during manufacturing is was light years ahead of out Duster making that car just look crude. The welding was neatly done, the panels all fit, etc.

In '74, MG stuffed an aluminum block V8 into this car. Vroom !

Have fun with your midget..

Grassy

I don't hate miatas but agree the old British sports cars have way more character. I bought the midget for $900 in pretty decent shape. Most I have seen for sale at that price were complete junk. I wanted something fun to drive that would get better than 30mpg to use as a commuter. The dart is fun but is too expensive to drive 50 plus miles a day. I am not worried about reliability. They are simple and easy to fix. Looking forward to driving it this fall. I can't get my phone to upload photos. I am not very computer savvy, nuts and bolts is more my thing.

Nope. You could create a national level racing class for Yugo's if you wanted to. Just takes money and a bunch of people tricked into racing Yugo's.

Which is why Mazda worked so hard to create the racing class for the Miata. Instant credibility. The conversation goes:

"Hey, those miata's are soul-less little garbage cans on wheels".

"No way, they're sports cars"

"Yeah right, you're delusional."

"No really! See, look, they have their own racing class."

Ta-daa. The soul-less little garbage can on wheels becomes a sports car. All it took was Mazda pushing the sports aspect of the car. They held Miata racing events, sponsored races, you name it, they did it. Brilliant marketing, got to give them credit for that.

But Miata's are "sport car lite". They have just enough performance to trick the uninformed into thinking they might be a sports car. But they have no soul, no character, no style like sports cars used to have. But fool enough people into thinking they're sports cars and viola, they're sports cars.

And the very definition of "sports car" has suffered because of it. True, Mazda has improved the performance of the Miata as the model has evolved. But the damage was done.

A sports car used to have style, panache, character. A lot of the old sports cars weren't actually very sporty if you look at the performance numbers. But they had something else too. Spirit, bravado, whatever. And that was more important than just the performance numbers. Which was a fact totally lost on Mazda. Because on that definition, a Miata can NEVER be a sports car. Don't care how fast it goes, how well it handles, or how many racing classes there are.

So yeah, I'd take an old MG over a brand new Miata any day, and I don't care that it would hand my @** in an autocross.

I think you're being a bit delusional in this case. You insist its not a sports car, but only back it up with feelings. Clearly you have a bias against these cars that is not rooted in evidence,

If the miata race class to you was instant credibility and not an indication of it as a sports car than it should not be able to compete with other "real" sports cars.(as a yugo would not compete), but look at autocross events and open track events, the miata is competitive.

styling is moot. Plenty of fugly cars are sports cars. By that logic i'd have to contend that the C6 and C7 corvette are not sports cars

well, that certainly fired you guys up. i like the old mg's. i also like the miata. i was speaking strictly from a reliability point of view. oh & the british sports cars were the inspiration for the miata. i owned a "mercury capri" it was ok but would have been a lot more fun with a stick. built by mazda. you ever notice those mg guys travel in packs?

Always had a soft spot for those little MGs, neat little cars. Post some pictures when you get a chance. I too dont get all the hate here for the Miata, for anybody who says they are terrible and lack the spirit of a real sports car I place a challenge out to you; go drive one and then tell me how that light little rev happy rwd 2 seater isnt a true sports car. It may not have all the looks or "spirit" of the original British cars but you have to remember its NOT 40 years old and its NOT British, its a modern japanese interpetation of what the British cars were but with a japanese flair.

-
Back