I cant get my head off

-

UBNOXS1

Reaction score
So I was just given my brothers old Plymouth Duster 1970 I have to change the head gasket but I not having much luck with the head its not moving I got part of it to come up. Do anyone know any tips tricks to get it off. :(

Use a Dead blow hammer or a Solid Rubber mallet to knock it loose and then pull it off. Make sure you got all the head bolts/studs removed! There are 10 of them on each head 5 outside the valve cover and 5 under the Valve cover. It sound like it is stuck on the Dowel pins.

How -- many -- head -- bolts -- did -- you -- remove -- ?

If you have all the bolts out..take a 1/2 inch break bar..put it part way into one of the intake ports..and pull back.......

I just leave a few bolts a few threads in so the heads don't fall off and bump the engine over with the starter motor. I'm lazy, breaker bars are work, lol Just be sure the spark plugs are in

I once stuck a bottle jack under the car, and using a block of wood I jacked against the iron exhuast manifold to get the head to budge. This tricked worked even better after I'd taken all the head bolts out. lol

Below is the question and statement that needed to be asked!

How -- many -- head -- bolts -- did -- you -- remove -- ?

A dead blow hammer is they way to do it. BINK! er, I mean, THUD!
It's off!

Hello everyone thanks Yea there was a bolt I missed dose anyone know about what would be the cost get the heads to get redone and what I should be asking for?

So I was just given my brothers old Plymouth Duster 1970 I have to change the head gasket but I not having much luck with the head its not moving I got part of it to come up. Do anyone know any tips tricks to get it off. :(
AND how much of it did you get to move and how far you mit have to check more than the head??just a thut,,,,Artie

-
Back