I could use your opinion

-
well memike my motor is probably just above ur range in power (200-220hp)... and i have some major headwork done...

that thing will lope pretty hard

8)

and turn that damn carb! haha

IMO, you should build the RG and swap it out for the 170. The 170 is a known quantity so if the 225 needs to come out for whatever reason, you'll have a known, good engine to fall back on.

I didn't catch what your goals are for the engine and what you're willing to give up to get it. Obviously, you want more power, but how many mpg are you willing to give up for it? Where do you want the power rpm-wise? Can I infer that this is going to be primarily a street machine?

Didn't remember Victoria being a 3-on-the-tree car. I appreciate your approach to things, so I'm going to follow the build on your motor.

I, too, am going to do an RG build. Parts collection is mostly done. Like you, I want a bit more power but don't want to compromise mpg too much. Space is short in the shed, so the engine itself is still somewhere in a donor vehicle. I'm pretty well set for parts except for a roller timing chain and a set of lifters. If you're interested, PM me and we can compare notes.

I would drive it right now with the 170 in it while I get a 225 ready. It sounds like you have a cylinder head being prepared right now and that's usually the most difficult part. The 225 should provide a lot more torque at low rpms which not only makes the car a bit faster but also more tractable, much easier and much more pleasant to drive especially on a cruise.

I would drive it right now with the 170 in it while I get a 225 ready. It sounds like you have a cylinder head being prepared right now and that's usually the most difficult part. The 225 should provide a lot more torque at low rpms which not only makes the car a bit faster but also more tractable, much easier and much more pleasant to drive especially on a cruise.

Good advice, and makes a ton of sense.

HOWEVER, I have become a BIG fan of forced induction over the last three years, and slant sixes are the best candidates because they have a lousy cylinder head for a 225 (works great on a 170, but is downright asthmatic on a 225) AND they are the closest thing to indestructible ever to come out of Detroit, IMHO. That doesn't mean that you can't build a reasonably fast 225 car without a blower or turbo, it just means that if you have BOOST, it's a lot easier to go fast.

The good thing here, is, you haven't spent a bunch of money yet, and your choices are, at this point, pretty much unlimited.

I know you're not interested in turning Victoria into a race car, so we'll leave the 500+ horsepower shenanigans to guys like Ryan and Tom Wolfe. Their cars run on the far side of 120 mph in the quarter but getting a slant 6 to that point requires some compromises that you won't need to make.

How does 12.55 @ 106 mph sound to you? According to Wallace Racing Calculators, that's how fast Victoria would run with 300 horsepower.

I believe that you could EASILY achieve that level of performance in Victoria with a stock 225 that has been treated to EITHER a 2bbl blow thru setup and a Vortech , Paxton, or Procharger setup, OR a simple, no intercooler turbo setup based on a Buick GN. turbo mated to a stock exhaust manifold. This could blow through a 500cfm (or, smaller) 2 bbl Holley carb, and run on "pump premium gas."

Since the cam would be stock, so would the idle. Plenty of vacuum, if you would ever want to treat Victoria to some power brakes.

A 904 transmission could use the stock torque converter, or you could run a manual trans, if you'd prefer.

The only "hi-tech" piece you might consider is a $300.00, Snowperformance "Boost Cooler" water or meth injector to keep on the safe side of detonation.

Driveability should be like a stocker, with no "primary/secondary" worries to deal with, and a stock cam.

Stock pistons and rods should live forever in this engine since 7-10 pounds of boost should be all you'd need to make 300 HP.

So, a stock shortblock with a ported head; I think you said Victoria was getting one), a Buick junkyard turbo and a Holley 2bbl, would be the recipe for a turbo setup or a belt-driven centrifugal blower such as a Vortech, ProCharger, or a Paxton if you wanted to go that route.

All of the engine specs would be stock parts for both; they don't seem to like lots of rpm nor radical cams; all the boost goes out the exhaust valves, or so they say... a lot of cam duration just isn't necessary.

I'd bet that getting 300 horsepower with a turbo or a centrifugal blower, would be easier than putting together an engine normally-aspirated, that makes 200...

I could be wrong; I was wrong back in 1966.... (and a multitude of times, since!!!)

Whatever you do, HAVE FUN!!!:cheers:

That's what this is all about!!!

Mike, I run the long K1 rods in my 225, and I like it....of course I have a bit of compression.
My friend wayne runs a 170, and that thing hits the RPM's hard.....I thnk that it hit over 6500 before.
My suggestion would be to run a 225.....and maybe add a 500 2bbl to the clifford intake. If you need a 500 2 bbl, let me know....
Your build sounds like your planning really well.....here is a replay of the singin' 6 in my car.LOL
http://s694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/TerryLScott/?action=view&current=AndrewatSac.mp4
Andrew/Kidd
You sure have a great build and a screaming leaning 6 =P~
I here ya on the rpm's on the 170/ I have had my stock 170/ hit 5500 and still wanting to clime :-D But I rarely let her see anything over 4200 :happy10:
Thank you for your reply and sharing you thoughts :happy10:

well memike my motor is probably just above ur range in power (200-220hp)... and i have some major headwork done...

that thing will lope pretty hard

8)

and turn that damn carb! haha
:-D I hear that :happy10:
I am glad I have a / guru close by "66aCUDA" and looks like Bill Dedman is on to something I would be interested in =P~ He is a great historian drag man and is doing some good log work for us / runners :cheers:
Thank you 805moparkid :happy10:

Heres just my two cents, pull the original block and set it aside, then build up the 225 that way you wont decrease the value of the car and have a peppy little engine :snakeman: :-D

Mike
When your ready we will build it just tell me what you want.
Frank
Good morning Frank :happy10: You will be the master builder brother, First I need to get my bones looked at in January and get that behind me first :happy10: He is suppose to be a master builder on people 8)
I am liking what Bill is doing =P~, I know there will be allot of plumbing to do but in the long run it may be the way I could enjoy a road worthy screamer =P~ I remember you, Small Block and I visiting him and he sure has been around the block a few time's :happy10: I hope everyone will have a great day and Thank's for all the incite here. :cheers:

Heres just my two cents, pull the original block and set it aside, then build up the 225 that way you wont decrease the value of the car and have a peppy little engine :snakeman: :-D
Yep :-D:-D, That is the plan, I will continue driving her till I get the 225 built.
Saturday evening after my son's birthday party I enjoyed showing a 2004 chevy truck that I can get to my fist 100 feet before he could :-D
And my wife was with me :toothy10::-D Just a hole shot to about 45mph.
I drive Victoria everywhere any time I leave the house and she is adorable to say the least as she is :happy10: But we all know I am lucky if I have 120hp
to have 175 to 200 will be great.

Yep :-D:-D, That is the plan, I will continue driving her till I get the 225 built.
Saturday evening after my son's birthday party I enjoyed showing a 2004 chevy truck that I can get to my fist 100 feet before he could :-D
And my wife was with me :toothy10::-D Just a hole shot to about 45mph.
I drive Victoria everywhere any time I leave the house and she is adorable to say the least as she is :happy10: But we all know I am lucky if I have 120hp
to have 175 to 200 will be great.

Im glad your out there enjoying her, your a very lucky man :-D

Im glad your out there enjoying her, your a very lucky man :-D
yes I am Moose :happy10: And I can guaranty you I don't take it for granted :happy10:, I have been blest in so many ways in the last few years. One day at a time and still living a dream :happy10:

A man with no dreams is a man living in the dark waiting for the worst.

If you're going to all the trouble of changing the engine, drop in a 318. Not a 273, 340, or 360, but a 318. A 273 will cost too much to rebuild and you can get the same gas mileage with a 318. Save the 340 or 360 for when you seriously go racing. For everyday driving with a little zip it don't get much better than a mild 318 with an automatic in a light little A body. If you can, find one out of an '86 or '87 Fifth Avenue/Diplomat/Gran Fury to get the 302 heads. They are going for around a C note here. A rebuild kit, a trip to the machine shop, a cam in the 250-260 degree range, with a 4 barrel intake and your 390 Holley,and your power range is met with a little to spare. You can use manifolds with a 2 1/2" single exhaust and your 7 1/4" with 3.23 gears will last for a while yet. Sounds like heresy, but that's what I would do,and then drive the wheels off Victoria. :cheers:

If you're going to all the trouble of changing the engine, drop in a 318. Not a 273, 340, or 360, but a 318. A 273 will cost too much to rebuild and you can get the same gas mileage with a 318. Save the 340 or 360 for when you seriously go racing. For everyday driving with a little zip it don't get much better than a mild 318 with an automatic in a light little A body. If you can, find one out of an '86 or '87 Fifth Avenue/Diplomat/Gran Fury to get the 302 heads. They are going for around a C note here. A rebuild kit, a trip to the machine shop, a cam in the 250-260 degree range, with a 4 barrel intake and your 390 Holley,and your power range is met with a little to spare. You can use manifolds with a 2 1/2" single exhaust and your 7 1/4" with 3.23 gears will last for a while yet. Sounds like heresy, but that's what I would do,and then drive the wheels off Victoria. :cheers:
I really don't want to take the /6 away from her.
Heck :-D I am driving the wheels off her anyway :happy10:
V8 swap = Bell housing+all around mount's+manifolds+318+radiator+laborpulling a 318. Naw I think a I will hang with the /6 :-D
Good to see you posting today :cheers:

-
Back