I did something stupid

-
A buddy of mine had an interesting tactic he employed when he built 2 houses on his property.
He bought a tractor, forklift and scissor lift when he needed them, used them, then sold them once he was done. In each case, he just about broke even on the equipment, making it about the same as a free rental.
My point?
One could theoretically buy or borrow a Ram 1500 and buy a tow dolly and make the trip IF they had the free time.
That's an excellent idea! And I've known people to get, say, a LULL, and JLG , then roll em when done!

I've looked into all sorts of vehicle "relocation ". 1 way rentals from uhaul are BRUTAL. Some Uhauls dont even offer it.
Also if I figured it right, the trip is 3000 miles. I'm not really surprised at a $5k delivery price tag. Haven't we all been squawking about fuel costs? Insurance?
Not trying to beat down on OP, just helping some see why the costs are what they are.
Oh I've even looked into a 1 way dolly rental from uhaul...either ridiculous OR not offered.
Good luck
You haul 2.jpg

For $5 grand you could BUY a decent pickup at either end and sell it when you get back home with the car!!!!and a tow dolly for around $750
And then get your money back when you get home with the car you really want!

Most I've seen don't have hitches or wiring.

I'll hitch hike before flying commercially.

I'm stupid. My record of failure is unblemished.
nah we’ve all been there at some point.

Thanks for the nice words.
I'd be willing to help however I can. I am about 20+ miles East of Sacramento. I have a truck. If the seller has to get the car moved out quickly, the OP should PM me. Maybe we can work something out.
another stand up guy!

Kind of in a holding pattern until Friday right now.

Thanks, it's in Pine Grove.

If the transport falls through, I could drive a few hundred miles if enough FABO folks could get together for a relay system. Say somewhere east of Chicago to Rhode Island.
im on board if needed. Have truck, sometime have trailer(depends if it’s loaded or not haha) we’ll get him his car.

No Mopar axle came with 4.11 gears.
4.10 wasn't even factory installed in an 8 3/4" axle from what I've read, only aftermarket gears. The Dana 60 could be had with 4.10s though.

That is why I asked. I had 4.10 in an 8 3/4 for about a month, then traded them out. I see it has 3.91s.

Evidently... my Bro is wanting to set his one Remaining Son up into that, as he wants to retire from Marsite... my Son has a Freight Broker Company... seems to be insane out there. But what happens when Fossils go South?
Im seeing 2 to 3 grand probably more to go coast to coast especially with rising fuel costs
Im still not sure what the problem was with the OP other than shipping costs making it not worth him getting his car, hope it all works out
Ive known guys who got into auto transport, local or long distance didn't seem to matter.
Its not as lucrative as it seems. Figure in the fact that you need a decent tractor especially over the road plus a fairly new trailer and your talking a hundred and a half easy, fuel , insurance, tires and mechanicals
Tough way to make a dollar and than you have to get the work
Used a towing service to flatbed my jeep home a month or so ago, was $130 a hour plus tolls.

Last edited:
If the transport falls through, I could drive a few hundred miles if enough FABO folks could get together for a relay system. Say somewhere east of Chicago to Rhode Island.
Ditto on the transportation train. If that happens and anyone needs support in Southern AZ, I'm happy to help. I have 4 days off every 5 days, so I've got lots of availability to house you or tow the car for a leg towards the East Coast.

if push comes to shove i could do michigan city or la port to toledo or so...that would be an 8 hour round trip for me

the only way i see this working is if all the drivers have their own truck, and the OP figures out a trailer or a tow dolly

A buddy of mine had an interesting tactic he employed when he built 2 houses on his property.
He bought a tractor, forklift and scissor lift when he needed them, used them, then sold them once he was done. In each case, he just about broke even on the equipment, making it about the same as a free rental.
My point?
One could theoretically buy or borrow a Ram 1500 and buy a tow dolly and make the trip IF they had the free time.

in todays market that requires a lot of liquid assets...and the OP allready mentioned he cant get the time off to bring it home, let alone shop for a tow vehicle

For $5 grand you could BUY a decent pickup at either end and sell it when you get back home with the car!!!!and a tow dolly for around $750

Been there. Done that. Fly out and buy a decent used truck. It will be higher than it should be, but when you get back home and sell it, yep, it will still be high.
We all understand the cost of an auto transport.

I've looked into all sorts of vehicle "relocation ". 1 way rentals from uhaul are BRUTAL. Some Uhauls dont even offer it.
Also if I figured it right, the trip is 3000 miles. I'm not really surprised at a $5k delivery price tag. Haven't we all been squawking about fuel costs? Insurance?
Not trying to beat down on OP, just helping some see why the costs are what they are.
Oh I've even looked into a 1 way dolly rental from uhaul...either ridiculous OR not offered.
Good luck

Not $5K (if I had gotten a quote even close to that, I would have simply not bought the car), but twice what I was quoted. In other words: bait and switch, because they KNOW I'm stuck.

A truck capable of towing 4000lbs cross-country...for $5000? BWAHAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Wait, you're serious?!

$5000 buys a beater. If you're lucky, it's running and sort of driveable. (50/50 whether it has tread on the tires, working brakes, no warning lights, an intact frame and body, and a transmission that shifts.) $5000 trucks are available in your choice of "beaten like rented mules", "Rusted", "barely running", and occasionally "hot".

Im seeing 2 to 3 grand probably more to go coast to coast especially with rising fuel costs
Im still not sure what the problem was with the OP other than shipping costs making it not worth him getting his car, hope it all works out
Ive known guys who got into auto transport, local or long distance didn't seem to matter.
Its not as lucrative as it seems. Figure in the fact that you need a decent tractor especially over the road plus a fairly new trailer and your talking a hundred and a half easy, fuel , insurance, tires and mechanicals
Tough way to make a dollar and than you have to get the work
Used a towing service to flatbed my jeep home a month or so ago, was $130 a hour plus tolls.

The problem is that shipping companies are taking money and giving me nothing but BS. The problem is the transport cost has doubled, simply because these crooks KNOW I'm stuck essentially paying whatever number they come up with.

nah we’ve all been there at some point.

another stand up guy!

im on board if needed. Have truck, sometime have trailer(depends if it’s loaded or not haha) we’ll get him his car.

I thank everyone for the help, but at this point, if the transport plan implodes, I'm simply giving up, walking away from the car, and probably drinking myself blind.

I thank everyone for the help, but at this point, if the transport plan implodes, I'm simply giving up, walking away from the car, and probably drinking myself blind.
If walking away from the car becomes your only option, I’m 100% positive you can find someone here to buy it from you who can pick it up in Cali. At least then you won’t be losing money.

If you walk away from it then you have done something stupid. You got 20 people on this thread trying to help you and every few posts you're saying, I'm going to give up and just blow it off. These people are trying to help you, Pay attention. You need to hire somebody to put two ball joints in a bag along with some wrenches and a grease gun with a new unopened grease cartridge, Stick them on a bus to where the car is and have them fix the ball joints and drive the car home to you.
I used to do these kinds of things all the time. It not that hard to come up with a workable plan. Stop the whining an start using your head for positive thinking.
How much does that transportation outfit want to move your car?

If walking away from the car becomes your only option, I’m 100% positive you can find someone here to buy it from you who can pick it up in Cali. At least then you won’t be losing money.

I'm already going to lose a bunch of money since I'm probably going to just dump the car for whatever I can get for it as soon as I get the DMV paperwork done. If I lose less than half what I'm spending I'll be doing well. If I lose all I spent...then I do, this was a stupid idea from day one and I should have known that.

If you walk away from it then you have done something stupid. You got 20 people on this thread trying to help you and every few posts you're saying, I'm going to give up and just blow it off. These people are trying to help you, Pay attention. You need to hire somebody to put two ball joints in a bag along with some wrenches and a grease gun with a new unopened grease cartridge, Stick them on a bus to where the car is and have them fix the ball joints and drive the car home to you.
I used to do these kinds of things all the time. It not that hard to come up with a workable plan. Stop the whining an start using your head for positive thinking.
How much does that transportation outfit want to move your car?

There is NOBODY I know who could do that. I know NOBODY within 2000 miles of the car.

Transport company quoted $1400, now wants $2300, and I would not be even slightly surprised if they demand more and hold the car hostage until I pay. Going on three weeks of excuses, bullshit, and lies now.

I'm sure you can do it. I'm equally sure I have the same chance of pulling it off that I have of flapping my arms and soaring through the air like a bird, flying to California, saying "ALAKAZAM!", and teleporting the car and myself home.

A friend of mine that does hauling sent me contact info of a hauler in Bakersfield. Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll send you his info via pm.

$2300 is a bullcrap quote. No professional hauler would take a job for $1/mile especially with gas prices how they are.

It needs ball joints. And I'm not driving 3000 miles with 4.11 gears.
MY Ram 3500 has 4:10 gears but the AT has overdrive!!!!!
Guess I am hardheaded, but if it runs good enough to make the trip, fix the suspension, and drive back 55 on blacktop and enjoy the ride. I did that one back in '95 Ca. to Mo. Most fun I ever had (with my clothes on that is). Blacktop all the way till I hit Ks.

A friend of mine that does hauling sent me contact info of a hauler in Bakersfield. Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll send you his info via pm.

$2300 is a bullcrap quote. No professional hauler would take a job for $1/mile especially with gas prices how they are.

Naah...I'm not paying any more, I'll walk away from the car first. If I had gotten a $2500+ quote for transport instead of bait and switch, I wouldn't have bought the car.

For reference, I paid $1700 for an enclosed transport from Orlando to Spokane area back in September.
Things have changed some since then, but $2300 seems reasonable to me for enclosed transport point-to-point. With the volatility in gas prices lately, the shipper is probably just trying to hedge.

A $600 difference isn't worth spiking the deal on a nice car, IMO. The way I look at it: would I walk away if the cost of the car was $600 higher? If not, I pay it and keep going.

There is NOBODY I know who could do that. I know NOBODY within 2000 miles of the car.

Transport company quoted $1400, now wants $2300, and I would not be even slightly surprised if they demand more and hold the car hostage until I pay. Going on three weeks of excuses, bullshit, and lies now.

I'm sure you can do it. I'm equally sure I have the same chance of pulling it off that I have of flapping my arms and soaring through the air like a bird, flying to California, saying "ALAKAZAM!", and teleporting the car and myself home.
I like the Alakazam idea. Now you say 3000 miles one way, the truck towing the trailer let's see it gets 10 miles to the gallon it's 300 gallons of fuel. A round here is over $5 a gallon, I'm sure on the west coast it's more let's figure $6. That's 6 * 300 that's $1,800 just for fuel now. As verses $4 a gallon equals $1200.
I see why he raised his price. Try the Alakazam it may work I've never tried it.

For reference, I paid $1700 for an enclosed transport from Orlando to Spokane area back in September.
Things have changed some since then, but $2300 seems reasonable to me for enclosed transport point-to-point. With the volatility in gas prices lately, the shipper is probably just trying to hedge.

A $600 difference isn't worth spiking the deal on a nice car, IMO. The way I look at it: would I walk away if the cost of the car was $600 higher? If not, I pay it and keep going.

Enclosed? Yeah-no, this is a spot on a regular car carrier. It's not the $2300, it's the bait and switch. It's the dishonesty. It's the lies. It's the bullshit. It's the stress. It's the fact I am simply DONE with this ****.

-
Back