I did something stupid

-
Heck, I know for a FACT, he ain't done Nothing Stupid either! Bought a Badass 4 spd Mopar, w/ 4:10's and running Smallblock! Just didn't plan time/ logistics accordingly. Now, I Could REALLY Start an "I've done something Stupid " thread, but I'd get Banned, for sucking up too much space in the server!

U Haul wouldn't give me a price on a car trailer or tow dolly because their software didn't approve of my Hemi Express hauling a 3200 lbs Dart and it's carrier. Odd, Ram rates my truck as good for towing over 7000 lbs.

I'm in West Sac and don't mind helping, though I'm not sure how much help I can provide. I don't have a truck that can tow a car on a trailer, and live in a subdivision without much room for parking. I'd be happy to make some calls or help with other arrangements though. Just let me know if there's something I can help with.

I'm in West Sac and don't mind helping, though I'm not sure how much help I can provide. I don't have a truck that can tow a car on a trailer, and live in a subdivision without much room for parking. I'd be happy to make some calls or help with other arrangements though. Just let me know if there's something I can help with.
RIGHT ON!

Man, I just got a '20 Colorado from Enterprise rent a car, around Christmas, when my Jeep got Totalled
About 65 / day...

Most I've seen don't have hitches or wiring.
And I would much rather fly commercial than as baggage in a coffin.
To each his own.

I'll hitch hike before flying commercially.
Heck, I know for a FACT, he ain't done Nothing Stupid either! Bought a Badass 4 spd Mopar, w/ 4:10's and running Smallblock! Just didn't plan time/ logistics accordingly. Now, I Could REALLY Start an "I've done something Stupid " thread, but I'd get Banned, for sucking up too much space in the server!

I'm stupid. My record of failure is unblemished.

Most I've seen don't have hitches or wiring.

I'll hitch hike before flying commercially.

I'm stupid. My record of failure is unblemished.
The one I got had a tow package, and they had a Ram also. Just was reserved. As For Your Record of Failure? It ain't done Yet! Now, let's add
MY fails.. I've put my mind to alot of things, and Won, due to the Grace of God. I've also Lost Many times, due to my own Stupidity, or other people's insanity. But, enough of that! You worked for that Mopar! Get Her Home, or at least Safe and Secure, until You can do otherwise.

Last edited:
Geezus folks, let up on this guy! You have heard his situation so stop throwing stones at him. He seems to have a trucker hired or whatever and needs to wait until Sat. for some reason before going another route. Then I'm guessing he will look into mopardude318's offer. The suggestions to rent a truck and trailer or dolly are stupid expensive and he has explained why he can't. I agree he shouldn't give up but give him some space........

Jaralxe, you aren't stupid, we've all done stupid things in this hobby and out :realcrazy:

This past fall I "accidentally" won a car in an auction and it was on the opposite side of the country. I spent more money on it than I made in my first 10 years of adulthood. It was nerve wracking and stressful. Then the car didn't start when it got here. Crank, no fire. I hated the thing and wanted to light it on fire and walk away. The emotional roller coaster from that experience was intense.

It worked itself out and has become the best automotive experience for me to date.

Stick it out OP, you'll have a great story by the time you get the car. Auto shippers are a pain in the ***. They have to orchestrate chaos and put a truck, trailer (with space), and a driver all in one place at the same time. The trailer also has to be one that's getting loaded with cars headed a similar direction.

My car, it took 3 weeks before it went on the road. But, the hauler was able to house it, insured, at their warehouse and they picked it up within 4 days of me booking them. I used an outfit called affordable auto transport. I never talked to the same person twice, and they only texted me. I was sure the car was gone at several points.. But it was fine in the end. I paid cash upon arrival, which was both a comfort and felt like it was too good to be true and so weirded me out.

Several guys I work with ship cars several times a year, they usually use reliable auto transport and those crazy Russians cover some miles in a hurry..

I'd ask the the shipper about options for a bonded warehouse, or changing the pickup location to wherever you can get it temporarily housed. Or call a new shipper, assuming you haven't burned all your cash by paying in advance, and see if they can store it or if it can be dropped off by the previous owner. If you already paid, try to reverse the charges if you used a credit card if you can make a deal with a new shipper.

That, or just list the car in the for sale section with the whole story. No need to walk away from something you wanted bad enough at one point.

So to ship a car from the west coast to the east cost in a open car carrier from any number of auto transportation companies is up to 5 grand?

So to ship a car from the west coast to the east cost in a open car carrier from any number of auto transportation companies is up to 5 grand?
Evidently... my Bro is wanting to set his one Remaining Son up into that, as he wants to retire from Marsite... my Son has a Freight Broker Company... seems to be insane out there. But what happens when Fossils go South?

Hate to put anyone on the spot but I believe KernDog is near there. He is a stand up guy.
Thanks for the nice words.
I'd be willing to help however I can. I am about 20+ miles East of Sacramento. I have a truck. If the seller has to get the car moved out quickly, the OP should PM me. Maybe we can work something out.

Thanks for the nice words.
I'd be willing to help however I can. I am about 20+ miles East of Sacramento. I have a truck. If the seller has to get the car moved out quickly, the OP should PM me. Maybe we can work something out.
Kind of in a holding pattern until Friday right now.

Thanks, it's in Pine Grove.

I've looked into all sorts of vehicle "relocation ". 1 way rentals from uhaul are BRUTAL. Some Uhauls dont even offer it.
Also if I figured it right, the trip is 3000 miles. I'm not really surprised at a $5k delivery price tag. Haven't we all been squawking about fuel costs? Insurance?
Not trying to beat down on OP, just helping some see why the costs are what they are.
Oh I've even looked into a 1 way dolly rental from uhaul...either ridiculous OR not offered.
Good luck

If the transport falls through, I could drive a few hundred miles if enough FABO folks could get together for a relay system. Say somewhere east of Chicago to Rhode Island.

If the transport falls through, I could drive a few hundred miles if enough FABO folks could get together for a relay system. Say somewhere east of Chicago to Rhode Island.
Now THAT'S KICKING TAIL AND STANDING UP!!!!!!!! Man, Where there is a WILL, and a WAY, With GOOD BROTHERS And SISTERS.......

A buddy of mine had an interesting tactic he employed when he built 2 houses on his property.
He bought a tractor, forklift and scissor lift when he needed them, used them, then sold them once he was done. In each case, he just about broke even on the equipment, making it about the same as a free rental.
My point?
One could theoretically buy or borrow a Ram 1500 and buy a tow dolly and make the trip IF they had the free time.

-
Back