Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
There has got to be millions of these bolted down under the seat
in 1990'es to maybe 2002 fords :dontknow: full size trucks
Just wanted to share a good fit tool in our early A bodies :-k
It's fast and plenty strong :sign7:
And easy/safe (this would be up to your skills I guess) :eek:ops:

Victoria has a stock bumper jack and it can do the job, But you have to lift is so dang high :idea1:
this worked out good for free if I wanted it

And as you can see I don't like 190 degree air entering my carb :happy8:
That is a 90'es model air breather off a Jeep 4.0

Just thought I would share :drinkers::drinkers:

Share any of your's with us..

Attachments

• Jeep site 010.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 447
  • Jeep site 011.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 441
  • Tim%20Morlin%20Visit%207%2022%202010%20017.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 390
Where is that jack supposed to fit? I know that my frame rail is lower to the ground than that jack will go when my tire is flat. So my question is where do you lift with it? I have a scissor from an 80's daytona in mine. Not all scissor jack are made the same, try to get one with a 3/4" hex on the end instead of a hole for a hook.

Small harbor freight floor jack.

-100 times

Harbor freight is known for low quality cheap products. I have bought some of their stuff, but I know that it is cheap garbage. Do you really want to be on the side of the road when you find out that your bulky made in china paperweight has given up and won't lift your car? The original poster posted an acceptable jack if you can find a spot that it will reach, that is my only problem with the bottle. A scissor jack folds up real small and will work we you need it. It will reach under a leaf spring perch on a car with 13" rims and flat tires. It can be stored under the spare tire out of sight and out of mind until you need it. Have you tried to use your harbor freight jack on your car while it is on flat tire? I use to carry one of them made by a reputable company than harbor freight, what I found out is that it wouldn't fit under my frame rail with a flat tire and wouldn't lift high enough to get the tire off of the car.

New car manufacturers don't use hydraulic jacks in new car and 30 years from now when you find 2013 model year car in a scrap heap its jack will still work.

Where is that jack supposed to fit? I know that my frame rail is lower to the ground than that jack will go when my tire is flat. So my question is where do you lift with it? I have a scissor from an 80's daytona in mine. Not all scissor jack are made the same, try to get one with a 3/4" hex on the end instead of a hole for a hook.

I went out and jacked up the left rear just off the floor and took this picture, as you can see it is short and I used my hand and spun it up then started screwing :sign7: 1966 plymouth Valiant 14'' 215 tires

Let my batteries recharge and I will take more pictures if needed
It is handy :happy1:

Attachments

• Jeep site.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 384
x2 on small floor jack.

That is what I carry also Mr.FT , they are bigger and on rollers,.
But this is tucked in a holder and out of the way :happy1:

-100 times

Harbor freight is known for low quality cheap products. I have bought some of their stuff, but I know that it is cheap garbage. Do you really want to be on the side of the road when you find out that your bulky made in china paperweight has given up and won't lift your car? The original poster posted an acceptable jack if you can find a spot that it will reach, that is my only problem with the bottle. A scissor jack folds up real small and will work we you need it. It will reach under a leaf spring perch on a car with 13" rims and flat tires. It can be stored under the spare tire out of sight and out of mind until you need it. Have you tried to use your harbor freight jack on your car while it is on flat tire? I use to carry one of them made by a reputable company than harbor freight, what I found out is that it wouldn't fit under my frame rail with a flat tire and wouldn't lift high enough to get the tire off of the car.

New car manufacturers don't use hydraulic jacks in new car and 30 years from now when you find 2013 model year car in a scrap heap its jack will still work.

I agree, a A scissor jack stores well and I have used them, I welded a bolt on one and used it as a fast jack/tool with a air ratchet..

lmao...

i have had the same garbage harbor freight floor jack for 3 years. that thing has lifted transmissions, entire fronts ends of C Bodies a foot and a half off the ground. ive changed at least 200 tires with it. ive put in 3 motors with it. ive put in 3 rear ends with it. it should have been dead 2 years ago. its still going strong. ive never rebuilt it, only change the fluid.

Mike.... your ignition box appears to be leaking bud.
i also have two of those bottle jacks out of jeep cherokees....

Dang that is great! I was considering carrying a stupid harbor freight aluminum "racing" floor jack cause of the weight and I hate bumper jacks. Now I can carry two of those and change my rear end on the side of the road if necessary and save space and weight in my trunk.
Nice!

Hey Memike:

I remember trying to jack up my buddy's '64 Val in about '73 or so up here in Canada, around Toronto, LOTS of salt used on the roads. Flat left front tire, so put the jack on the bumper and started to jack. After the bumper went up about 6", with out the tire moving upwards at all due to prodigious rust!!!, we ended up putting the jack on the fender lip at the top of the wheel well, jacked it up, maneuvered the old tire out (carefully!), put the new tire on (carefully!), and we were on our way! Like they say, the cars rust out before the engines die.....except in buddy's case, the oil light came on one day....but it wasn't red....only, and I quote..."pink" so he kept driving and threw a rod! Smart car, stupid driver!

just remember any jack can fail, a cheep POS scissor jack can be just as bad. the nut threads strip out and you have nothing holding your car up. even if you get an OEM one from a wrecking yard it may not have been meant for a car as heavy as yours.
that's why you never get under the car with just it holding your car up.
also, my HF POS aluminum jack still works great after 6 years and lots of use

Quote by 73AbodEE = Mike.... your ignition box appears to be leaking bud.

Yea think :D Yes I fixed it

Attachments

• Picture%20222%20005.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 317
One of those came in my Dodge Ram under the passenger seat. I kept
it when I sold the truck. It's in the trunk of the 'Cuda.

just remember any jack can fail, a cheep POS scissor jack can be just as bad. the nut threads strip out and you have nothing holding your car up. even if you get an OEM one from a wrecking yard it may not have been meant for a car as heavy as yours.
that's why you never get under the car with just it holding your car up.
also, my HF POS aluminum jack still works great after 6 years and lots of use

i think a scissor jack is more dangerous than any of them. they were not made to lift old detroit iron. i used one of them to change a tire on an 09 pontiac , and that thing was scary.

PS Mike, glad you got her fixed lol it looks great ! :D

My camera and I got charged up :drinkers:
Is this good lift ? 8-[
I think about this What was this made for :help:
and remember what this thing was made to
pick up a big a$$ truck :thumbrig: :rock:

Attachments

• Jeep site.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 369
  • Jeep site 016.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 365
  • Jeep site 017.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 344
  • Jeep site 021.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 361
My camera and I got charged up :drinkers:
Is this good lift ? 8-[
I think about this What was this made for :help:
and remember what this thing was made to
pick up a big a$$ truck :thumbrig: :rock:

:thumbup: perfect ! i use those little jacks for all sorts of things.

Got one of those in the trunk as well. Hope I never have to use it. I went to the junk yard and got a space saver tire out of a Ford Crown vic. The tire is the same height as the 275/60/15 so shouldn't have to much trouble running it on the rear.

One of those came in my Dodge Ram under the passenger seat. I kept
it when I sold the truck. It's in the trunk of the 'Cuda.

There ya go :cheers: there is even more of them out there by the thousands :happy1:
I think these have got to be stable to do the job they asked it to, that is to cool Tony, they do work :idea1: Her is one in the air to you tonight :drinkers:

i think a scissor jack is more dangerous than any of them. they were not made to lift old detroit iron.

PS Mike, glad you got her fixed lol it looks great ! :D

I liked the old scissor jack that was made with Lug nut end
Grab a air/battery ratchet and zip it up and down and save the shoulders :cheers: But I have seen them lean bad :glasses2:

Mike the only problem with an axle type jack is that on some cars you are not going to be able to get the body up to get the tire out. My 67 is that way. Sometimes I use a combo under the axle, and the bumper jack to get the body up

Here's a TRUE story about bumper jacks

From 70-74, I was stationed at N.A.S. Miramar (now MCAS) and part of that time had a part time job at the station auto hobby shop

Sailors used to manage to do all kinds of silly, stupid, and sometimes dangerous stuff, but this was the worst I saw

One afternoon I wandered out into the lot, and here was a sailor working under his 57 Chev. He had TWO bumper jacks under the front bumper, jammed up against those big "tits" on the front bumper, without a jack stand or blocking in sight!!!!

I ran over there, grabbed him by the ankles, and ripped him out from under that car. He was PISSED, and wanted to fight. I told him to "think again." Under these civvies, I said, stands an E-5, and you "ain't" and I'm in VERY good standing with my boss here. I told him he could either go to the tool room and check out some jack stands, or leave and not come back.

He made the correct choice.

Mike the only problem with an axle type jack is that on some cars you are not going to be able to get the body up to get the tire out. My 67 is that way. Sometimes I use a combo under the axle, and the bumper jack to get the body up

Here's a TRUE story about bumper jacks

From 70-74, I was stationed at N.A.S. Miramar (now MCAS) and part of that time had a part time job at the station auto hobby shop

Sailors used to manage to do all kinds of silly, stupid, and sometimes dangerous stuff, but this was the worst I saw

One afternoon I wandered out into the lot, and here was a sailor working under his 57 Chev. He had TWO bumper jacks under the front bumper, jammed up against those big "tits" on the front bumper, without a jack stand or blocking in sight!!!!

I ran over there, grabbed him by the ankles, and ripped him out from under that car. He was PISSED, and wanted to fight. I told him to "think again." Under these civvies, I said, stands an E-5, and you "ain't" and I'm in VERY good standing with my boss here. I told him he could either go to the tool room and check out some jack stands, or leave and not come back.

He made the correct choice.

I here that, I have seen folks jump under a car
and take to much for grated :sad5: and scare me to death
I have never pulled anyone out from under a car :cheers:
but I have hollered across a field or shop at them
I do have my bumper jack also when needed :D
I do agree :cheers: my rears setting on un level ground
I would need my body lifted, On the level road it will come off .

I would like to know what kind of HF floor jacks people are having good luck with do you mean this one http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/floor-jacks/2-ton-compact-trolley-jack-68783.html

or one like this

http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...uminum-racing-jack-with-rapid-pump-68052.html

I wouldn't count on the first for anything at all and the second choice is bulky. I assumed this thread was about the jack that you carry in the trunk of the car for roadside use not home/shop use. For home shop use I would go with something closer to this one.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...8026&ci_sku=1448026&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

My first legitimate paying job after high school was building maintenance for a landlord. The first job for him was helping to replace a brick foundation on 1 wall of a 3 story house. We picked up the entire east side of the house using railroad ties and 2 of the truck screw bottle jacks.

My suggestion of a 80s k-car scissor is because they are built heavier than most more recent jacks, a j-body lebaron vert is approx 3200lbs and daytonas are in the 2800 lbs range so they are close to early a-bodies in weight, and they usually come with the hex drive end.

I have a second jack in my 67 B'cuda. Its tied to the original jack with bungie cord I think it came from some model of Pontiac. It slips under the car and opens like a floor jack. It operates just like a bumper jack. The notched tubing part is laying down instead of standing up.

-
Back