I don't think this is legal

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
IHRA track bracket race 4th round. Lane guy draws cards for 1st 2 cars and one of them won't start. 2nd pair of cars already drawn. We all sit while they give him about 10 minutes to try and get car started. Track manager comes down to lanes and says run the 2nd pair. 2nd pair runs and they draw for 3rd pair and hold the running car that was supposed to get a bye run against the broke car. They get the broke car started and let him run his round and he wins. It wasn't against me but I just don't think that was right. As soon as the 2nd pair ran down the track the broke car should have been done for the night IMO. From what I could see in the pits later he was a buddy of the owners.

I’d have a problem with that if I was NOT the broke guy and lost.
First, he went past his time limit and second I wouldn’t have taken my match against him very seriously since he DQ’d himself by not having his car race ready at race time. I would have just made my run for data for myself to see how the track is at the lines and run the car very nonchalantly down the track since I’m my head, I have the buy run. No fear of a loss or putting the car on the trailer.

Semi final round, Staged against a faster car. We dialed at 10. 61, He dialed at 9.80. Clearly in the video the 9.80 car left first . But we got the red light. Showed the video to the track official. Didn't matter. Their rented track car won the $10,000 that day . If your not racing for a good time of a weekend of fun don't go. Because if your not in the click its hard to win in bracket racing.

That is the reason we are going heads up racing in Gasser class. and heads up radial tire class or no prep. Bracket races can be fixed. They always come up with you ran out or you redlit.

But if that mans car did not make the line due to failure in the lanes he should have been declared a forfeit. I agree with the favoritism at many track events. But where would you go to correct it if the track allows it to happen. Sucks, Timers can be cheated with. Photos at the finish line can be protested. Heads up is the only way anymore. That is why flash light start No Prep is getting big.

IHRA track bracket race 4th round. Lane guy draws cards for 1st 2 cars and one of them won't start. 2nd pair of cars already drawn. We all sit while they give him about 10 minutes to try and get car started. Track manager comes down to lanes and says run the 2nd pair. 2nd pair runs and they draw for 3rd pair and hold the running car that was supposed to get a bye run against the broke car. They get the broke car started and let him run his round and he wins. It wasn't against me but I just don't think that was right. As soon as the 2nd pair ran down the track the broke car should have been done for the night IMO. From what I could see in the pits later he was a buddy of the owners.

I wholly agree with you , somebody got screwed , almost bet the car that wouldn`t start was a chevy !!!

I wouldn't have liked it either. It sounds like they made the wrong call based on someone knowing someone.

Is it sanctioned?

If so, by who?

Is there a rule book?

Fairly common issue, should be addressed by rules, if there are any.

IHRA sanctioned.
Here is the paragraph from the IHRA rulebook for 2023
The paragraph titled "STAGING" says if his car won't fire he has 30 seconds
to get it started or he is disqualified. A clear rules violation by the track.
304.svgz

Last edited:
IHRA sanctioned.
Here is the paragraph from the IHRA rulebook for 2023
The paragraph titled "STAGING" says if his car won't fire he has 30 seconds
to get it started or he is disqualified. A clear rules violation by the track.
304.svgz
It's like @Oldmanmopar said though, he was in the clique, so forget it. lol

File a grievance.

IHRA may issue a reprimand or at least a warning.

You should at least get a free entry next time.

...of course you'll then always be "that guy" to the track owners.

Maybe the drivers had an agreement, some guys will wait, they just want to race not a by run. That said, home tracks favor home racers that spend the most time at the track, and yes they will fudge stuff.

It is cut and dry in the rules.

but, If the running car was asked by the non running car and granted grace, that’s sportsman like and up to the individual drivers.

there is something to be said for showing up with your junk sorted and ready to go

It’s funny how something’s stick in the back of your mind forever. I ran against the “dirty dozen” back in the 1980’s and had money stolen from my pocket. I had to do a re-run after beating a racer who was getting oral sex from the girl in the tower for not having my tail light on. (I did and had witnesses). And at five cars a track champion got a second bye run instead of me. I could have rant and raved but I’m pretty calm, till I’m not.

It’s funny how something’s stick in the back of your mind forever. I ran against the “dirty dozen” back in the 1980’s and had money stolen from my pocket. I had to do a re-run after beating a racer who was getting oral sex from the girl in the tower for not having my tail light on. (I did and had witnesses). And at five cars a track champion got a second bye run instead of me. I could have rant and raved but I’m pretty calm, till I’m not.
I hear ya. I had a .0001 light in round 2 of a bracket race and didn't get the bye in no electronics. They said there was an even number of cars. But a car broke in the lanes so somebody after me got my bye. I guess they've never heard of a "wait and see" bye.

I had a guy cross the starting line TWICE while trying to stage against me last year. Meaning he went completely through both bulbs....twice!! Starter helped back him up both times to get him to stage. He finally did. I should have got out right there and said that's a DQ but didn't. Why have such a rule if you're not going to follow it?

I'm not going to say anything to a track official, unless they did something that hurt my chances. In that case I would be out of my car, blocking the lanes and asking to speak to the track manager.
They didn't hurt your chances, but whose did they hurt? Might be you next time. They don't give a chit. I agree, it's totally black and white in the rules.

I had a guy cross the starting line TWICE while trying to stage against me last year. Meaning he went completely through both bulbs....twice!! Starter helped back him up both times to get him to stage. He finally did. I should have got out right there and said that's a DQ but didn't. Why have such a rule if you're not going to follow it?
But did you win the round??

I was called to staging for a final round. Got into my car and back out of my pit. Had a flat right slick. The car I had to race against in that round, waited in the pit area, while I got my tire changed. That way I did not get DQ for not being in the lanes in time. Real sportsman.

I hear ya. I had a .0001 light in round 2 of a bracket race and didn't get the bye in no electronics. They said there was an even number of cars. But a car broke in the lanes so somebody after me got my bye. I guess they've never heard of a "wait and see" bye.
You should have been pulled out and if there is an even number you still get lane choice. If he broke after being told which lane he was in, that was a competition bye.

Joe

Our bye runs go by reaction times from the round before with no carry-over. They tell you on the Pa and you pull up top in the lanes on the other side and wait. If there’s a bye run you get it and if not you get lane choice.

But did you win the round??
IIRC, that was the week I'd been watching other cars for a while that run the 1/8th mile, forgetting i was in the Sportsman 1/4 mile class. Had him well covered through the 1/8 and coasted on down as he whizzed by and took the win at the quarter-mile stripe!! :BangHead: Stupid!!

Then I did the thing I hate...a buyback...and ended up going all the way to the finals where I lost to a guy that ran dead on his dial with a 0 to boot!

IIRC, that was the week I'd been watching other cars for a while that run the 1/8th mile, forgetting i was in the Sportsman 1/4 mile class. Had him well covered through the 1/8 and coasted on down as he whizzed by and took the win at the quarter-mile stripe!! :BangHead: Stupid!!

Then I did the thing I hate...a buyback...and ended up going all the way to the finals where I lost to a guy that ran dead on his dial with a 0 to boot!
Man, that is Crazy!

-
Back