I Feel Bad

-

DUSTERDOWNS

Reaction score
I Feel Bad, Let me explain. I am soon to be 65 years old , I have had a heart attack,two stints and soon will have more. Over the years I have had three major back operations and had over two foot of my intestines removed. I still work a minimum of 60 a week and get around under my own power, and can still speed shift my 340-4 speed Duster. BUT after reading some of the threads and posts from some of my fellow A-Body brothers and sisters I feel bad that life has dealt some of you such health problems that I have not had. I feel bad you can not enjoy the cars and trucks you have busted your butts to put together. I do feel lucky enough to have a Grand daughter that is as excited as I am every time I turn the key and feel and hear that 340 come to life. This car will be hers when I go to the big drag strip in the sky and I am positive she will love it as I have. I feel bad we work hard all our lives only to Not be able to enjoy our fruits of life. I do realize that if we older Mopar lovers do not get more younger folks into our sport if that 's what it is called it is going to be a dying way of life. For all of you that are hurting ,sick,or ill I send out my prayers and heart to you. After reading today you have shown me what a Damn LUCKY guy I am, my back hurts less and a stomach cramp is not that bad, being short of breath is a small problem compared to what some of you have and may face. In short I can say you all are my friend and I wish you the best. Now I feel better. Steve aka DUSTERDOWNS

Amen, if you think you have it bad you just need to look around.

I wake up and feel bad about my sore back. Then I walk through a VA clinic and think shame on me! All these proud vets missing limbs and with more ailments from things they've been exposed to while serving our country. And they smile and have a great attitude. Shame on me for every time I cuss a little when getting up from under the car. It takes a little more effort these days but I can still do it. Many can't.
Good post DD

I have a grand daughter who thinks all I have is hers already. I hurt all over, and I'm too old to fight about it.

I've had a pair of heart attacks. They put a stint in after the first one and I had a 5 bypass the second time. I'm not as nimble as I used to be but I'm doing pretty good. My biggest problems are with lack of energy. I just don't have the juice to keep going like I used to. But like Steve I count my blessings.

I got back into working on cars after the second heart attack. It's something I'd always liked when I was younger and I was determined to do it again. I don't know where my final destination will be but I plan on enjoying the trip there.

To those guys that have had to give up on the things that they loved doing, - I feel for you. Hopefully you've each got other interests that you can still pursue. Try not to let go of whatever keeps that spark alive.

I am 57 and in good health ( so far) and I agree 100% with this post. I can still work on my car when I have time and still feel like a kid when I take it for a cruise. To have to look at a project knowing that it will probably not get finished must be terrible to say the least. I find that we as a society work to hard and play to little until it is to late. If we know someone in that situation perhaps we should go over and offer to help get the project on the right track? JMO

I am lucky to say the least, I will be 71 this year whether I be dead or alive, all that I drive is manual and the pains I have, I control…
BTW, I am drug free, this means no Meds..

My vehicles will certainly go to family

"I was sad that I had no shoes, until I met a man with no feet".

I'm 54 with a mild heart attack and mini stroke under my belt. I can still do pretty much what I want. There are guys my age that are way worse off than me.

Yeh. I get ta bitchin' about all my crap, but I admit, I CAN get around some, and most important, I've found ways to deal with it, like my homemade- break -apart wheelchair and my trike, that I use for car shows and air shows and stuff.

Some of these folks "getting lame" have neither the money nor the talent to "make do" with stuff like this. And some don't have the strength or physical mobility to do any of this work.

I'll tell ya. though. The one thing I LOVE to HATE is when some young buck who has "no idea" tries to tell me that "all I need is more exercise" or some BS. I was still climbing towers when I was 50. I don't need some kid to be my "doctor" LOL

I guess I'm lucky in the heart attack dept. So far so good, "knocks on wood."

Amen to everyone out there that loves there family, cars, job and life. I'm only 56 but have had many many injuries to my back, shoulder, knee's I have used my body my whole life but I still think IT'S THE MILES NOT THE AGE. Keep going because what ever your chasing will catch your if you stop.

Glad your still in the game DUSTERDOWNS!
I think everybody has some kind of cross to bare
be it mental or physical.
Its all in how you play/read the cards your dealt.
We all know how this life is going to end, its what you
make of it that matters.
You can do it with grace or you can ***** to the bitter end.
I want my family and friends to remember me as a good dude
who did his best and had some fun doing it.

I for one am going down with a smile and a happy ending
even though it kills me.:D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LB9vK6bG6A"]Dead Guys - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI9TJYEAZjY"]I Went To The Doctor - YouTube[/ame]

I got back into working on cars after the second heart attack. It's something I'd always liked when I was younger and I was determined to do it again. I don't know where my final destination will be but I plan on enjoying the trip there.

To those guys that have had to give up on the things that they loved doing, - I feel for you. Hopefully you've each got other interests that you can still pursue. Try not to let go of whatever keeps that spark alive.

Very well-said! -especially the last line.

I am 50 and I plan to go out kickin' and screamin' to stay active as possible until I just can't move at all. Screw the couch and TV, I wanna make things.

I think I'm lucky to be 29 and have the mindset that I'm invincible still. I'm extremely thankful for my health although I struggle with weight issues, it could be much worse and I can take control and fix myself.

I have a fantastic wife and two wonderful little boys ages 4 years old and 9 months. I've had a few rough times like everyone else, probably more on the way, but I just go with what he world deals to me.

What really pisses me off is the lack of respect my generation and the ones after me seem to have for you older gents. You and your fathers are the foundation of what we have today. Seems wrong so many act like you don't matter. Outside of family that is.

You guys rock. Thank you for your blood, sweat, and tears that built what we younger generations reap the benefits of today. And most importantly, keep telling your stories. They mean so much to those who know what respect is.

Bottom line is we all got our bag of rocks to tote and nobody really knows how heavy somebody else's bag is.

Bottom line is we all got our bag of rocks to tote and nobody really knows how heavy somebody else's bag is.
Very, Very TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!! Some people tote emotional problems that is far worse than physical problems. Some say they feel good when indeed they hurt. I guess for everyone, its "one day at a time, Sweet Jesus"

I'm only in my 30's...with a bad back, 2 bad knees, and broken ribs that never healed properly, I'm at the point I sometimes need help getting out of bed. By 60, I will be in a wheelchair, in an advanced state of senility, or both. I have pretty much accepted that I have, at most, another 15 years of productive life left.

That original post was powerful! Also, all you guys with struggles.
Personally, I've had two back surgeries and I'm 46. I get around really well with only some pain.

I admit i'm lucky to be healthy at my age (66), just a little crazy ( or moderately crazy??). like he said, look to out vets that deal with missing limbs and all, and see their brave attitude. or maybe the local car club could do some events to include them in out hobby!???? show them our respect and admiration. take them for a "ride" and give them a rush?? it breaks my heart/.
DarcCuda66: nice to hear you appreciate the older generation. back75-100 years ago our economy was 90% rural. people lived on the farm, ranch, it was usually being handed down to the next generation. the older folks were a respected part of the family and lived there till they cashed in their chips. now, our world moves too fast, mon and dad both work. live in urban suburban world, kids are way too busy with their structured life for relatives?? not all, but maybe most figure the old people are all stupid and senile? not time or place in their home for them anyway???? have to wonder??
you guys that still have a mother, give her a call, it Mothers Day!

I'm 54. I have broken my clavical, left leg, have had three stents, broken my nose three times, shot once and suffered two whip lashes within a 2 month period. Everything hurts.
Last week I was on travel for the company. I stopped by a local 7-11 to grab two waters and ice teas when I notice this elderly lady, maybe 70, that was huffing and puffing and had an obvious weight problem. I don't judge people by their appearance and help anyone I can. She leaves the 7-11 and I follow her out shortly after. Now bending over isn't something that I can do easily do the lack of range of motion. But here was this lady outside the front door and asked me to pick up her dime because she had dropped it. Without a second thought I did so because I knew that dime meant everything to her. I told her if I can't straighten back up you'll have to help me. She said in the sweetest tone, 'honey, that would make two of us bent over'. She was so nice. So polite but I knew she was hurting. Then I see her get in her car where her mom was waiting. She must have been 90. She smiled and said thank you for helping us. So while I'm still able to enjoy life with all my aches pains and ailments I'll always go out of my way to help anyone; healthy or not. And I'll still work on anything with a motor. You get back what you put in. And if you don't get back that's OK too. I'll always give in. Especially our veterans. The older ones especially who proudly wear their caps with war, branch of the military and battalions, divisions what have you. I always thank them. Buy them a beer. Or their lunch. The older ones really appreciate it.
Guess what I'm trying to say don't feel bad. The fact you feel bad means your are one of the good ones. God Bless you all,
Doug

My Dad insisted that we never complain or think about being sick or our ailments. Not saying that's right or wrong but it has seemed to work for me. I have a few things wrong with me but I guess God has made it so they never got too bad. I agree there's always someone worse off and it's better to show kindness and not to judge. And our veterans deserve our thanks whenever we can because without them we would not be enjoying life as we know it today.

To the OP thanks for starting this thread.

im 57 and for the most part, been healthy, but at the end of this week, ill soon find out if a couple problems ive been having will be life changing or not. either way, my issues in life have been never having enough money for things ive always wanted to do, but i can live with that. I am passing on the mopar/ classic car tradition, and the 2 valiants i have are actually my kids cars, if they ever get off there butts and start driving.
That in itself is another story . The down side is i dont think either of my kids have the "drive" to actually work on the cars. just drive them. time will tell.

Great thread!
I'm almost 52 and i have a lot of physical issues. I have learned that you need to pace yourself, and think more about the end result, not the time it takes to get there.
It takes me now at least twice as long to do things as it did only 20 years ago, but i thank god every day for what i have and my ability to still work and enjoy life.
Many people aren't as fortunate as i am for sure, and i never will take what i have for granted.
At this age you have to plan things a little bit more so you don't hurt yourself, but that's half the fun, coming up with ingenious ways to get things done!
Things could be a lot better, but things could be a lot worse.
One person that inspired me was a guy that lost the use of his legs in a car accident and was wheelchair bound. He would do paint and bodywork in his garage by himself.
He had a series of ramps, pulleys, straps, and fixtures all over the place so he could achieve this.
He did pretty darn good work too.
The kicker is i never heard him once complain about anything.
Food for thought.......

I heard this last week - seems appropriate for this thread. "if we tossed all of our problems into the middle, after seeing the choices, we would probably end up choosing our own to take back."

Best we can do is to live thankful and choose positivity over negativity more than not.

-
Back