I figured I'd buy from a FABO sponsor, so I called...

-
Wildcat auto wrecking to check price and availability for front and rear bumpers for a 65 Dart I am working on.
$300 EACH ????
Whuuuuut ??
I have bumpers, I just want nicer ones. What does it cost to have bumpers rechromed? If it is around $300 each to rechrome, why would anyone pay that much for 52 year old parts???
Maybe I am spoiled by the self serve yards. The Pick-N-Pull yards are about $50 plus a core.
I am spoiled by self serve yards too. You are paying for their availability of that part, and what they think its worth, and for their employee to remove the part, and box it to ship it if need be, and the fact that they are a business carrying the inventory and paying their bills. Because their business is old parts, and nothing but old parts, they dont make their money in volume like a self serve pick n pull does.

The self serve yards are usually high turn like the pick n pulls. In those yards thay have so much coming in, and getting crushed every month, they dont really have too much of a care what the part is off of. Dodge colt hood, or mercedes hood, to them a hood is a hood. $35 please, oh and a $5 core if you dont want to return the old one.

I went to one pick n pull yard they had a complete list from A to Z of every part you could find in a car along a price next to each part. Cylinder head $30, engine V8 $100, dohc mercedes V8 or Chevy 350 its still $100. Lexus composite headlamp or chevy cobalt composite headlamp $45, because to them a headlamp is a headlamp. Geared rear axle w drums $135, geared rear axle with discs $165

i think it was listed that way because fwd rear axles dont have gears. Again at high turn yards they couldent care less if that drum brake axle was a 7.25 pegleg from a dodge dart, or a 12 bolt with a locker in it out of a trans am. A geared drum brake axle is all the same to them no matter what its out of. If your pick n pulls have access to vintage tin, you got to get it while your there, because they clean em out every 2 to 4 weeks and in the shredder they go.

My local yard is a bit more slow. Some stuff has been in there more than 10-15 years. Of course the prices are a bit higher, but theres also the convienence of not driving 3 hours to the pick n pull, just on a what if there might be something there i need.

Last edited:
Mopar Tim, I just called them and got a quote of $2000 to do my 68 dart bumpers. It was a good thing I was sitting down when she quoted me the price. Just thought I would let you know.
Told you they sold out to a big corporation. 2 Grand, dang that's crazy...

I was pondering the idea of writing Leanna (cuda chick) and see if she could powdercoat bumpers to the color of my car.

I was pondering the idea of writing Leanna (cuda chick) and see if she could powdercoat bumpers to the color of my car.
Awwww, seeeaaiit, NOW YOU DONE IT!!! Get ready for the comment tidal wave..................................................................................

Told you they sold out to a big corporation. 2 Grand, dang that's crazy...
But profitable, & probably OSHA/NIOSH/EPA/CARB compliant to boot. Not to play devils advocate, but it is a fairly toxic & poisonous process, just sayin'.............

I was actually at their yard today. What a group of nice people! They let me and the wife walk the yard and look around. What a kick in the *** it was to get to see so many Mopars waiting to give up their parts to save others. They must have had 10 or more 60-62 Valiants in the project car area. I saw 3 1970 Chrysler 300 projects, all Spinnaker white. One with T Tops, the other 2 were sunroof cars.

IMG_4190.JPG

Man was there any 72 satellites in there, might have to take a trip up there for my b body

Kern Dog, Would you have the info on that yard? I saw some old darts in those photos, I want contact them and see if they might have the bumpers for my 68 dart. Thanks for all of those great photos.

Kern Dog, Would you have the info on that yard? I saw some old darts in those photos, I want contact them and see if they might have the bumpers for my 68 dart. Thanks for all of those great photos.
Dont they make those repop? I know taiwan steel, but still.

Ohh,Mr. KernDog....N. C.!!!!!! wow what a yard!!!

I love having a totally retored ol mopar, but what saves my *** is I love to drive them, and the more I make one perfect, the less I tend to drive it!!!!!!!!

I paid 350.00 for front and rear bumpers, triple plated, came out perfect on my 66 Dart. NOW I need to put them back on:BangHead::lol:Each
From where, Tim? We're taking names and numbers.

I found a company in Hayward that straightens bumpers, then sends them out for chroming. Lady said it takes about three weeks. I did not ask about prices.

-
Back