I figured I'd buy from a FABO sponsor, so I called...

-
Wildcat auto wrecking to check price and availability for front and rear bumpers for a 65 Dart I am working on.
$300 EACH ????
Whuuuuut ??
I have bumpers, I just want nicer ones. What does it cost to have bumpers rechromed? If it is around $300 each to rechrome, why would anyone pay that much for 52 year old parts???
Maybe I am spoiled by the self serve yards. The Pick-N-Pull yards are about $50 plus a core.

Yes, I've known those guys up at Wildcat for years. They have nice parts however they have high end prices. You may want to talk with Ed the owner to see if you can get a better deal. Most likly you talked with one of the worker bees.

On monochroming the bumpers, that can look good, if you match it to the cars paint, and use nice new carriage bolts. Painting em black, or using Mexichrome silver paint looks awful IMHO.

I did that on a 68 charger i owned years ago because i couldent afford chrome bumpers at 17. I plan on that with My sons 69 notchback. I have good straight bumpers for it, but the chrome is shot. Going to blast em, etch primer em, and paint em body color.

Seeing the price of just the bumper rechromeing , I am leaning towards dechroming the whole car and making it all the same color of the car. I spoke with Cuda Chick about powdercoating the bumpers and she was really honest with me that it would cost a lot and she had not done any bumpers yet. One hell of a nice lady she is, honest, sincere, and very to the point. Screw those plating companies they are not getting my money anymore.

On my sons car 69 barracuda we will be polishing up the stainless, and keeping the chrome door handles, and front and back trim, just body color on the bumpers. It will make the car look like its got fiberglass race bumpers with em painted.

Going to go with the 73-76 double demon scoop too. Lots of guys say eeeewww its not correct, but his car will be a day 2 car. Some mods to personalize it. No gabriel hijackers, shackles, and steamrollers sticking 6 inches out the wheelwells though. I draw the line on dorkyness.

So, did anybody haopen to check Tri-City?? They have a lot of the more common bumpers in stock and are probably the best price going as well, especially for the quality! As mentioned above, I took my neighbors bumpers to the Nats to drop off for rechroming! They're from a 64 GTO, very large and hard to find in any condition! They were straight but needed stripped and rechromed! $550 a piece, which is a great price considering their size! Jus sayin!!!

Theres gotta be folks that can do the job and not want your first born for the job. Thats a good price cos

I keep meaning to go to the local powder coat shop to question them about a "high heat" coating for the motorcicle exhaust. I know it's available, just not sure this shop has the capabilities. I'll add bumpers to the list of questions to ask.

Jet hot ceramic coatings for that. It never burns off, and lowers the outside temps of the pipes

Chrome wrap...

o.jpg

So, did anybody haopen to check Tri-City?? They have a lot of the more common bumpers in stock and are probably the best price going as well, especially for the quality! As mentioned above, I took my neighbors bumpers to the Nats to drop off for rechroming! They're from a 64 GTO, very large and hard to find in any condition! They were straight but needed stripped and rechromed! $550 a piece, which is a great price considering their size! Jus sayin!!!
Tri-City offers 63-76 Dart bumpers front and rear re-chromed for $355 each if you send in a core, or $445 each with no core. Sometimes they have the cores or already plated bumpers ready to roll in stock, and sometimes you need to send in yours for re-chroming.
Bumper Cores & Price List – Tri-City Plating Co. Inc.

That's not my car.

But I 'chromed' some taillight housings of my '57 Chrysler once with regular chrome-tape.
People couldn't tell it was 'fake' chrome from a distance of unless I told them. Even then they had to step closer and notice the parting lines.

AUT22503.jpg

AUT22601.jpg

20120624-57Chrysler-ChromeRearBumper-IMG_2085.jpg

But I 'chromed' some taillight housings of my '57 Chrysler once with regular chrome-tape.
People couldn't tell it was 'fake' chrome from a distance of unless I told them. Even then they had to step closer and notice the parting lines.
Nice! And I see the hardtop wagon in the background..... doubly nice!

I got AMD ones, bought em a number of years ago when they were $250 each on evilbay. You can get em with or without bumperette holes. Chrome looked great. Got new bolts to go with em etc.

I had a straight one with faded chrome, one bent one, and one with faded chrome that i bought to replace the 1 bent one. I shitcanned the bent one, as it wasnt straightenable, and put the faded straight ones on a 69 cuda future project.

I dont think however they repop his year dart bumpers, so he has no choice but to fix his or find better ones.

-
Back