I finally fixed my cooling problem !!!!!!!!!!

-

duster360

Reaction score
Don't know if any of you remember my original post ( http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132400 ) but I finally fixed my cooling problem. I was at the point of buying an aluminum radiator but decided to try a couple more things and they worked. I still have the stock two row 22" radiator. Already had the 8 blade waterpump, didn't keep it cool. Put on a fan shroud, didn't help much. Went to 18" 7 blade factory clutch fan, didn't help. Put on a 18" 7 blade flex fan, didn't make any difference. Today I put the spring in the lower radiator hose and put a high flow thermostat in it and it never got over 185*. I guess the thermostat let the pump do what it needed to, move the water faster through the cooling system. Drove it about 10 miles and had to idle in downtown traffic, got on it a couple times went home and let it idle about 10 minutes in the driveway. It would go to 185* and you could tell when the thermostat opened because it would immediatly drop down under 180*. Thanks for the help everyone.

Good for you! Problems like this can be frustrating and sometimes just experimenting with things solves the problem. toolman

I have been looking forward to driving the car this summer and had gotten to the point where I thought it wouldn't survive in the summer heat. Now I feel like a heavy weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

if you put the stat in at the same time you installed the lower hose spring, it was more than likely the spring that fixd it, or all the stats you had before were stuck closed.

jmo

That's the only problem about doing two things at once, you just can't be positive about which fixed it. But to be safe it will have both in it from now on. I bought this car about 14 months ago and have spent a pile of money and a lot of work getting it road worthy and dependable. It is nowhere near finished but is ready to cruise. Just in time for my midlife crisis, I will be the big 40 next month.

Sorry I missed the earlier posts,, I've come across several cars in my time with the lower rad hose being sucked shut by the pump,, usually an older hose that worked okay till it became too soft.. and always missing that spring... You'll notice the spring only comes in lower hoses... If you rev it up at working temp, you can actually see it pinch closed, even with pressure in the system..

:wav::brave:
congrats!

feels good to go fix dem der pesky things dont it. I too bought my car about a year ago and have been going for about 6 months without my temp gauge. i just fixed that today by simply reaching my hand behind my dash and pushing on a connector :angry7:. This also fixed a problem I was having, where my gas gauge would only read 3/4 full on a full tank. I had planned on dropping my tank and bending my sending unit but the laziness paid off in the end :bootysha:

luckly I dont think i've had overheating like you, and now I can be sure :icescrea:

That's the only problem about doing two things at once, you just can't be positive about which fixed it. But to be safe it will have both in it from now on. I bought this car about 14 months ago and have spent a pile of money and a lot of work getting it road worthy and dependable. It is nowhere near finished but is ready to cruise. Just in time for my midlife crisis, I will be the big 40 next month.

I'm with ya there. I got my fresh rebuild in early last summer and had clutch problems all summer. (clutch was new also). I never did get to break in the new motor so to speak. Well, last Saturday I installed the new clutch and it's workin' fine. I'm really enjoying my car again. I'm ready for the summer. Have fun with your cruiser. They don't have to have shiny paint to be fun!
Mike

And now the student has become the master........
Next time you see someone post about an overheating problem, you're gonna be one of the guys saying, "Well, I had this......"

duster 360.. where did you get the spring for the hose?? was looking into that..

Duster 360: I am having the same problem but I need to find a 3 core radiator. Does your 2 core radiator have the stock 7 digit part number on it? What is it?

Anyone?: What year did the Dusters go to the overflow system with the smaller top tanK?

Now you're going to need to wait for a really hot day to test the system for a worst case scenario. Drive it up a mountain on a hot day and see what happens. It sounds like you've got it fixed though.

Duster 360: I am having the same problem but I need to find a 3 core radiator. Does your 2 core radiator have the stock 7 digit part number on it? What is it?

Anyone?: What year did the Dusters go to the overflow system with the smaller top tanK?

I got the radiator from my local advance auto parts. My car is a 69 Dart but I bought a radiator for a 72 Dart to put in it. I t has the square tanks. I am eventually still going to get a 3 row or an aluminum radiator. Car cools a lot better than it used to but still not where I would like for it to be.

...I am eventually still going to get a 3 row or an aluminum radiator. Car cools a lot better than it used to but still not where I would like for it to be.
how cold do you want it? you said it was keeping 185'. too colds not good either

That was before the summer heat started setting in. It will run around 190* on the road but at a traffic light 205*.

That was before the summer heat started setting in. It will run around 190* on the road but at a traffic light 205*. I started another thread after this one that was a conclusion of this one with other info.

I have the same problem with my car heating up, I have tried numerous things...even a new four core radiator, flex fan, shroud, and high flow water pump. Still an issue when the temp is 90 plus outside, car temp just climbs when in traffic. I got frustrated and took it to a shop and they said, they couldn't find a problem. Never thought of the bottom hose with a spring, I guess I will try that...Thanks for the input.

-
Back