I give...

-

markfh

Reaction score
Decided to get a new electronic distributor for my 68 340 so I can drive it more. What's a good economical option to replace the stock dual point distributor? I'll do a complete rebuild on the original one later.

the electronic ignition chrysler came out with in the early 70s is about as good as it gets. but do carry two ballast resisters in your glove box. as they tend to go bad in cod or hot weather. no one calls it a bad thing to put this system on an older mopar.

Would like to keep it looking as stock as possible. What's y'alls opinion on Pertronix?

Not a fan of the Pertronix conversion for the distributor. There is a kit that uses a module very much like the mopar unit but runs a full 12 volts so no ballast resistor and will use the Mopar electronic distributor.

HRR688C.jpg

HRR688circuitboard.jpg

The problem with Mopar factory distributors is that they don't have a decent PERFORMANCE advance curve. This means unless you get one that HAS such a curve, you will have to recurve it, AKA weld up the slots, weaker springs, etc. "Once this is done" you are fine.

Now that we have the "big" Mallory / Accel/ whoever else upheaval, I don't know. I'm "low budget" and factory recurved looks pretty fair to me.

Hard to beat the $45 "ready-to-run" HEI distributor on ebay. Many posts here. Interesting that the expensive ECU in post #5 shipped with 2 "oops" wires on the PCB.

Hard to beat the $45 "ready-to-run" HEI distributor on ebay. Many posts here. Interesting that the expensive ECU in post #5 shipped with 2 "oops" wires on the PCB.

Anybody using this then that can comment on whether or not it will work? I plan on having my original rebuilt and restored so I don't want to pay an arm and a leg just for a short time use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Chrys...l:Dart&hash=item27f254a2c5&vxp=mtr&rmvSB=true

Thanks for the help folks...

The 4seconds flat site sells a mechanical advance limiting plate with pretty much infinite adjustability. Couple that with recurving a stock electronic distributor and you have what you are looking for. A distributor that IS stock on the outside and has a good performance advance curve.

-
Back