I got a Sun distributor tester!

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
After literally years and years of searching, I finally got myself a Sun distributor tester! It's a 500 model from 1963 and it works. Incredibly, I got a pulse amplifier with it which enables me to read magnetically-triggered distributors like our electronic units. Those are hard to find in themselves and when they do pop up on Ebay or forums, they go for big bucks. The guy also had the original cart that went underneath it but instead of taking the cabinet I took the P.A. instead. I didn't need the box and would have nowhere to put it anyway. All in all a great deal for a somewhat reasonable price and no shipping to contend with - cash and carry right into my garage.

So it works but it needs some fixing. Presently, the tach is not operational which is a little annoying. Plotting an advance curve without an accurate tach is guesswork at best. Sure, I can infer what I am looking at but I'd rather have it working. I've traced the problem to the AA battery holder that powers the gauge. It had some corrosion where it connects to the wiring that seems to be causing the issue - it basically crumbled when I handled it. BTW, the tach is a 4,000 rpm (crank speed) unit. The 500 model normally came with a 3,000 rpm tach. For now, I am able to use my cheapo Sears tach dwell meter but it only goes up to 2,000 rpm crank speed.

Second thing that's bothersome is that it's pretty noisy at lower RPMs. I have found through research that this can be attributed to the drive wheel. There is a hard rubber idler wheel behind the drive unit which can get flat spots or wear out which causes the noise and excess vibration. Seems like what I have going on here as it smooths out at higher speeds.

Lastly, at higher RPMs, there is a flutter in one of the strobe signals. Initially, I thought it may have been a wobble in the distributor that was occurring at higher speeds but I tested two different units back to back (one brand new) and the same thing occurred both times.

If you're familiar with these things, you'll probably know of Mark/Paramount Distributor Co. He repairs/sells parts exclusively for these things. I spoke to him about some of this stuff, including the high rpm flutter. He said that sounded like a problem with one of the springs under the drive unit cover that can bind and need to be stretched a little. Hopefully that's all it is.

Basically, he can sell you a fix all the common problems that these 50+ year old machines have. He offers a new idler wheel and bearing kit, new capacitors, battery holders etc. His stuff is not cheap by any means but the parts are available if needed. Sometime after the holidays I'll probably be placing an order for an idler wheel/bearing kit, possibly a capacitor kit and a battery holder.

So far, I've run a few distributors I have on hand and it was really cool to do. I especially wanted to run the one that was currently in my Duster to see where the curve was at. When the car was running last year, I looked at the timing with a light and I wasn't exactly sure what I was seeing. Based on where the mark on the damper was, it seemed like the initial advance was almost 30 degrees which was basically turned out to be true. It was only advancing about 11 degrees and was all in by 2,000 RPM.

Just for fun, I took apart the distributor and saw the advance plate was indeed marked 13 which x2=26 degrees initial so seeing 30 degrees in the car was not unrealistic. Someone had tapped the ends of the advance slots with a center punch to limit the advance but not by much. There was no welding or anything. To double check, I measured the slots with a dial caliper and I got .044" = 13 degrees. The OE damper that was on the car was shot and was probably slipping a degree or two and the center mark on the timing cover scale was marked with white out - not exactly precision engineering. so having it out and apart kind of confirmed what I was seeing but the machine definitely helps to visualize it a little easier.

In any event, the distributor has a total advance of 35 degrees; 26 + 11 which is right where it should be. Obviously I can adjust it in the car a little if necessary but at least I know where it's at beforehand.

I also have an older MP tach drive 'race' mechanical advance distributor which has a really quick advance curve from the factory - it's all in by 1,200 RPM. This is essentially like having locked out timing. The reasoning behind that is 'race' cars usually idle over 1,000 RPM and you're at WOT off the line with no real concern for part throttle drivability.

I wanted to see if I could slow the rate of advance with a heavier spring to be able to use it on the street. I swapped the super light spring on the tach drive for a heavier spring out of a regular electronic distributor I had on the shelf. Success! The advance rate slowed several hundred RPM but the amount of advance stayed the same. It was still all in by around 2,000 but that's a lot different than 1,200. I have to say this was very easy to do on the machine and would have been a real PITA on the car. I can just imagine doing this job while bent over the fender, reaching over the back of the block and potentially dropping the little spring between the header tubes - forget about it.

So yeah, I'm pretty excited about this thing even if it will only see limited usage. I guess it was just one of those things I wanted. If any one local wants to have their distributor set up, let me know!

Here's the unit. Note tach on top left is disconnected.
IMG_0023800x534_zpsd42ddf76.jpg

Here's the pulse amplifier. I made a connector from a parts store trailer harness to work with the Mopar pickup. Works good.
IMG_0025800x534_zps2112055c.jpg

COOL I don't spose you have any documentation on the pulse amplifier?

I have been looking for one but it's like there made of gold. Nice score.

Actually I'm building "from scratch" so to speak, just curious how the originals did it

Here's my project, as yet STILL not back together

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=216539

Cool. looks pretty involved.

I like your digital tach idea. I actually tried to see if I could hook up an old Auto Meter tach I had but something in the signal path wasn't allowing it to read. Seemed like it 'wanted' to work but no dice.

I hate you... :)

I've wanted one of those machines for a long time. Cool score, have fun with it.

Two recently showed up in the Spokane area on Craigslist. One was 350, I think, the other 1200!!!

I think 350 is about what I paid for my Allen. It actually worked, but as soon as I touched any of the wiring, the insulation fell off the wire!!

Ya, right. "Buy it now before I put it on ebay"

http://spokane.craigslist.org/tls/4225893119.html

sun distributor tester - $1200 (Cheney)

This machine can be used for it's purpose or be set up in a man cave! my father bought it almost new and it has been stored inside for many years! I have seen them on ebay for $2000. and up, get it now before I post it on ebay for full price! $1200. or best cash offer! Thanks for looking.
Roger (509)3xx-5xxx

Attachments

• 00O0O_8U0UC7PZz8N_600x450.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,500
  • 00S0S_1AcbB8BNWke_600x450.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,349
  • 00o0o_csnGXu2Mukr_600x450.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,348
I hate you... :)

I've wanted one of those machines for a long time. Cool score, have fun with it.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game...

Listen, I'd been looking for one for a long time. I had a price in my head that I wanted to pay for one. I've seen them listed reasonably here and there but always far enough away where shipping made it cost prohibitive.

I really couldn't pass this one up, it was within my price range and local. Life's too short.

It's like a time machine this thing, I friggin' love it.

umm...i might know someone who has something like that they are getting rid of...i will do some asking when i get back from the rig

This machine can be used for it's purpose or be set up in a man cave! my father bought it almost new and it has been stored inside for many years! I have seen them on ebay for $2000. and up, get it now before I post it on ebay for full price! $1200. or best cash offer! Thanks for looking.
Roger (509)3xx-5xxx

I don't think 'ol Rog would know an advance curve from his elbow. I could be wrong but when you say things like "This machine can be used for it's purpose or be set up in a man cave!" you sound like a grade-A mo-ron.

And then he evokes Ebay, Ye Olde Arbiter of Price. True that they 'go for' $2K and up but no one buys them for that. The same ones have been for sale for a long time, some literally for years.

Looks like a nice one! We found one too this fall and almost have it up and running. The guy at Paramount is a great guy to deal with. He is very knowledgeable and helpful. Have fun! tmm
(Here's a shot of ours)

Attachments

• 20131020_170605.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,336
  • 20131020_170550.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,204
-
Back