I GOT A TICKET/NOTICE for my car thats in the driveway.

-

rypp77

Reaction score
I'm kinda pissed, I got a ticket on my Dart (while I'm at work) that was in my driveway. I live in Texas and I didn't know I can get a notice/ticket on my car. The car is being working on in my driveway and not on the street. What the hell! Not only that, I live outside the city limits.

- Ray

Quite a few cities, even in TX, are acting on the broken window theory. The broken window theory also plays into abandoned and disassembled cars and/or cars w/o current inspection/registration. Plano, TX was horrible about this.

I'm kinda pissed, I got a ticket on my Dart (while I'm at work) that was in my driveway. I live in Texas and I didn't know I can get a notice/ticket on my car. The car is being working on in my driveway and not on the street. What the hell! Not only that, I live outside the city limits.

- Ray

Most cities /residential areas do have codes against unlicensed-plated/unregistered vehicles being in your yard. Most dont enforce very hard unless someone complains.

Probably some @sshole neighbor with a grudge or who is just a prick turned you in.

Pissed anyone off lately?

Most cities /residential areas do have codes against unlicensed-plated/unregistered vehicles being in your yard. Most dont enforce very hard unless someone complains.

Probably some @sshole neighbor with a grudge or who is just a prick turned you in.

I live on a circle drive, the one across the street is mean as hell. I don't talk to any of them. So I haven't pissed any of them off.

Yeah, Plano, TX has even banned trailers, RV's, campers, boats, etc from being in your driveway, front or back of the house. Nanny state, indeed. What's the world coming too? On the other hand, the RV and boat storage lots are booming.

This is very true. Where we lived in AZ you just ever knew when you were going to get a "gift" in the mail. GOt them for parking on an unimproved surface, aka dirt and also because one of the trees was not cut back enough. Had to be 13' from the road and it was about 12 1/2'. Any houses on your road just get put up for sale?? Very well could have been a realtor.....

Some years ago we were out of town for a week. When we got back home I pulled into our cul-de-sac and the first words out of my mouth were, "Where's my Hurst Olds?"
Turns out my neighbor across the street had complained to the city about it sitting in the driveway and it had been towed out of my driveway to an impound lot while we were away.
I finally found it 48 hours before it was scheduled to be crushed. I'd probably be in jail now if that had happened.

Some years ago we were out of town for a week. When we got back home I pulled into our cul-de-sac and the first words out of my mouth were, "Where's my Hurst Olds?"
Turns out my neighbor across the street had complained to the city about it sitting in the driveway and it had been towed out of my driveway to an impound lot while we were away.
I finally found it 48 hours before it was scheduled to be crushed. I'd probably be in jail now if that had happened.
This is downright disturbing....

It looks bad and degrades the neighborhood having cars just parked forever in ones driveway. Same with boats, rv's, etc. Push the thing in to your garage, IMO

Yeah, Plano, TX has even banned trailers, RV's, campers, boats, etc from being in your driveway, front or back of the house. Nanny state, indeed. What's the world coming too? On the other hand, the RV and boat storage lots are booming.

Well would you rather live in Mexico, that is what can happen when nobody cares about anything

Well would you rather live in Mexico, that is what can happen when nobody cares about anything

I can agree with that. I know a fellow that moved in a non restrictive neighborhood and it looks like a frickn junk yard now. I bet the neighbors are really upset with it. His stuff is in the back yard but there isn't anything around it to hide the junk.

Here where I live in Florida it has to be operable, just being taged and insured was not enough. No problem I just rigged up something to get it started just eough for the inspector. Mine wasnt up on blocks it just hadnt been driven in a couple years. But as mentioned, it was a neighbor that called. Once he cleared me though it was case closed and I never had a problem again and have done much worse in front of the house(nothing too hardcore). Plus the ahole neighbor finally went to meet his maker.

Sound's like to me, you need to go talk to someone that know's the rule's and ordinances in your township, county seat, or whatever they call it in your area, from the county. Unless you know alot about law, you better get an attorney, and he has the right's to the paperwork, he just need's to file for it. I've never heard of such a thing, in your own driveway, but have heard about rule's in apartment's, condo driveway's, stuff like that. I've lived in the country since I was 3 year's old, when my parent's bought a house in 1964. Now I have my own place now for 26 year's out in the country and love every minute of it. I have stuff sitting around, but I have fence's on both neighbor's property line's. I had trouble for the first 10 year's or so I have lived here, but I guess they got sick and tired of saying they were gonna prosecute me, but in the long run I guess I won....... and no letter's and no code enforcment offical's have stopped here in 15 year's. In my county seat there just a bunch of worthless hippocrites!!!!!! To make a long story short, IF YOU CAN DO IT, JUST BUY A HOUSE OUT IN THE COUNTRY OR STICK'S!!!!!!! THEN THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT WILL BOTHER YOU, IS YOU, OR YOUR FAMILY!!!!!!!!! Good luck with everything. Dodge33

Sound's like to me, you need to go talk to someone that know's the rule's and ordinances in your township, county seat, or whatever they call it in your area, from the county. Unless you know alot about law, you better get an attorney, and he has the right's to the paperwork, he just need's to file for it. I've never heard of such a thing, in your own driveway, but have heard about rule's in apartment's, condo driveway's, stuff like that. I've lived in the country since I was 3 year's old, when my parent's bought a house in 1964. Now I have my own place now for 26 year's out in the country and love every minute of it. I have stuff sitting around, but I have fence's on both neighbor's property line's. I had trouble for the first 10 year's or so I have lived here, but I guess they got sick and tired of saying they were gonna prosecute me, but in the long run I guess I won....... and no letter's and no code enforcment offical's have stopped here in 15 year's. In my county seat there just a bunch of worthless hippocrites!!!!!! To make a long story short, IF YOU CAN DO IT, JUST BUY A HOUSE OUT IN THE COUNTRY OR STICK'S!!!!!!! THEN THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT WILL BOTHER YOU, IS YOU, OR YOUR FAMILY!!!!!!!!! Good luck with everything. Dodge33

Funny this is, I live in the country, own my home and I work at a huge law firm. The trick this weekend is to find a loop hole.

I found to that if you are cool with the inspectors they will give you all the leeway you need, at least here they will.

It looks bad and degrades the neighborhood having cars just parked forever in ones driveway. Same with boats, rv's, etc. Push the thing in to your garage, IMO

Agreed. The thing that really annoys me is when some homeowners/renters use their garage as their own personal junk yard. Cars are meant to be stored in the garage, not on the driveway or the street. I see this all the time in my neighborhood: A 3 car garage filled with crap, and 3 cars parked outside.

Having cars in the driveway does nothing to the value of your home or anybody elses though. I was an appraiser and never made an adjustment + or -for a car, boat, rv parked in the driveway. I do agree it does look bad in some cases, like if you had stuff thrown up on your roof as well and ripped screens with trash in the yard.

It doesn't matter if it's a rusted out piece of total ****. If it's tagged, registered and insured, there's not a damn thing anybody can do about it. If that's the case, take all your proof to the court and they will dismiss the ticket.

I put an out of state license plate on my project car. This way the local inspectors cant verify insurance, registration and inspection. As long as the car is on private property the inspectors/ cops cant do too much about it.

-
Back