I got scammed on Cl on a mopar

-

67CudaBob

Reaction score
Got burned on a pretty wise scam today. I pride myself on sensing internet evil, but I got beat today.

Guy listed a 1969 superbee for reasonable money local to me. Underpriced by a couple grand based on description . So not a screaming deal. Emailed with him. Was his dad's car, bought new in 69. Dad passed away and car has not run in 3 years. The guy said he was at work And did not have paperwork with him but said the car was yellow with a black lift off hood (I.e. 440 6-pak).

He said he had one guy in front me but would let me know and the only thing he remembered about the paperwork is that it had a code a12 on it. I'm not a b body guy, so I did not know what this meant until I researched it. Then I realize the car is special.

He gets back to me and the first caller on the car has committed to buy it and is wiring a Deposit today,but the guy is from ohio and he would rather keep the car local and if I could deposit $500 today ahead of the ohio guy, we could meet tomorrow and see the car at his moms house about an hour from me.

Long story short, I loaded $500 onto a prepaid Visa card for him and when the transaction completed , I never heard back from him again.

The purpose here is to warn other car buyers of this type of scam. I don't need to hear what an idiot I am - I am taking care of that on my own. Car was never over advertised or initially underpriced. Lots of email and phone conversations , all seemingly legit. Gave me his credit card number and home address and wife's info , etc,etc.

Good story, sucked me in over time, and the rest is history.

Got burned on a pretty wise scam today. I pride myself on sensing internet evil, but I got beat today.

Guy listed a 1969 superbee for reasonable money local to me. Underpriced by a couple grand based on description . So not a screaming deal. Emailed with him. Was his dad's car, bought new in 69. Dad passed away and car has not run in 3 years. The guy said he was at work And did not have paperwork with him but said the car was yellow with a black lift off hood (I.e. 440 6-pak).

He said he had one guy in front me but would let me know and the only thing he remembered about the paperwork is that it had a code a12 on it. I'm not a b body guy, so I did not know what this meant until I researched it. Then I realize the car is special.

He gets back to me and the first caller on the car has committed to buy it and is wiring a Deposit today,but the guy is from ohio and he would rather keep the car local and if I could deposit $500 today ahead of the ohio guy, we could meet tomorrow and see the car at his moms house about an hour from me.

Long story short, I loaded $500 onto a prepaid Visa card for him and when the transaction completed , I never heard back from him again.

The purpose here is to warn other car buyers of this type of scam. I don't need to hear what an idiot I am - I am taking care of that on my own. Car was never over advertised or initially underpriced. Lots of email and phone conversations , all seemingly legit. Gave me his credit card number and home address and wife's info , etc,etc.

Good story, sucked me in over time, and the rest is history.

Sucks to hear man... link to ad? I'm gonna see if I can buy it! :D

I've been scammed before... I went to a shop, and left a $1500 depost... shop was gone the next week. :violent1:

Local to you and yet you didn't go in person with the money.

Kinda says it all.

I bought a STR-15 intake from a guy on CL for my 451 for $400. Sent him a postal MO, Guy "never got it" but when I proved it was cashed a week after I sent it via postal records, he said his roommate stole it and cashed it, and he said the intake was sold already. Long story short, I got the money back 6 months later from the PO due to a fradulent cashing and I chalked it up to live and learn. Karma is patient.....glad your over it. Thanks. Oh yeah, my thief goes by "bigpowerstang" somewhere on the internet..I wont forget that name......we've all got burned somewhere, it takes a strong person to admit it to protect the rest of us.

Thanks for sharing; it's always tough to admit when one makes a mistake.

When the guy said the initial buyer had committed to buying it and was wiring the deposit, the conversation should have died there. The seller offering to let you scoop the first guy is a huge red flag. And the seller saying he wanted it to sell locally is total BS, kinda like a seller saying the car has never been driven in the rain. If a buyer gives me my asking price on anything I'm selling, I don't give a crap if the buyer is from the moon or lives in a cave underwater.

A12=440-6 after you done some research that should of been a sign of something fishy, a car that uniuqe and pricey going for cheap.

Preloaded Visa card - that's a warning sign all of the time

Sorry for your bad luck - hope the 'seller' gets caught...

Did he specify pre-loaded visa? I wonder if you can dispute those charges like a regular CC. I use my CC through paypal. Then I got Paypal and my CC backing me up. I can tell paypal it was a scam and in the next phone call I can dispute the charges with my CC.

Well you need to get off your *** and get "downtown" to the fraud detectives, and demand they do their jobs. CL ads CAN be traced via IP, emails, whatever. "There's tracking" so to speak.

I have no idea what the protection.........if any........there might be on Visa prepaid. How did you PAY the Visa "prepaid?" If you used a credit / bank car, you may have some protection there, I don't know. "Contact your bank."

And, I'd be fer keepin on searching. Maybe he's got it relisted. Use a nationwide CL search like "Search Tempest" and others.

Preloaded Visa card - that's a warning sign all of the time

My friend got a call from 'the electric company' - they were going to turn off the power to his restaurant that had been open for about 5 weeks, because he hadn't paid the bill or some deposit or something - this call came in at about 1130 on a Friday morning (right before the lunch rush), while he and I were sitting at another restaurant - they told him to go buy a prepaid Visa card and call them back, or the truck was going to get there and turn him off.

Didn't make sense to pay with a prepaid card - didn't pass the 'smell' test - the owner of the restaurant we were having lunch at said, "Yeah - we got a call like that a while back - it's a scam!" - turns out, this is a really common scam:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/banking/5-prepaid-debit-card-scams-avoid.aspx#slide=6

Some other links:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...-used-scams/g7T0MVDx0cqwkK48NgBuqO/story.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/31/prepaid-card-scams_n_1725289.html

http://www.bankinfosecurity.com/interviews/how-to-mitigate-prepaid-card-fraud-i-2149/op-1#

I too would have sent him a prepaid visa card .

But the one I would send would have a balance of less than 25 cents.

I have a bridge for sale.... Would you be interested???

that sucks man, hopefully karma works for you...and him!

Who hasn't fallen victim to some sort of scam? Sure....the keyboard commandos are going to come out in force and berate you. Can't help but wonder how many of them have been hosed once or twice in their lives....then again most of "those" folks are never wrong so.

-
Back