I gots a problem!!! Please help!

-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
I have a 1972 Dodge Dart 318 2bbl car with a 904 and this is my problem

It has a point style ignition and at the moment, it could run for an hour or 10 minutes and then it just turns off like the key did it, but I have yet to witness this failure as the battery needs charging before it will even start.

I have (so far). 2 thoughts on what it can be. The coil or bad gas. Anybody have any test I can run to find out what it is?

The fuel filter will be checked tomorrow

once it shuts off check for spark, if none check for voltage to coil, if you have power to the coil and no spark, check points, if all checks out good you may have a bad coil

i will have to go back through the threads, to find his screen name(of the guy i bought it from), and let him give his occurance with it.

btw, to all, once the car starts, the coil get real hot
the guy i bought it from told me the coil is bad. but i have done nothing to the car to diagnose it, so i cannot say in my opinion.

i do not believe it is a fuel issue at all. cause once it shuts off, you can turn the key, and she will fire right back up, eliminating fuel.

I would go with alternator,then battery...then ballast resistor,
Andrew/Kidd

hold on, i thought that d34 was a 727 tranny, and the guy i bought it from told me it was a 727?????????????wtf?

Well, I took the battery today for charging and they said I may need a new one if a slow charger wont charge is as it is "deeply discharged" and I had them check the altenator and they said it was working like a champ.

Your "deeply discharged" battery is probably caused by a alternator/regulator problem.

Yeah the battery was bad, it was only meant to be a core i definetly told the guy when i pulled my optima out and gave him that one. The coil is going to be your main problem right now. Hey, did you get the black MOPAR valve covers that I sold with the car? I also included a spare harness with the car, amongst some other parts, hope you got those as well, and yes it's a 727. I'll check with the prior owner and see if I can get the dart head light buckets for you. The guy that bought the dart told me they were wrong. I didn't know there was a difference until then. So I'll check on that for you when I see them next weekend.

Yeah the battery was bad, it was only meant to be a core. The coil is going to be your main problem right now. Hey, did you get the black MOPAR valve covers that I sold with the car? I also included a spare harness with the car, amongst some other parts, hope you got those as well, and yes it's a 727. I'll check with the prior owner and see if I can get the dart head light buckets for you. The guy that bought the dart told me they were wrong. I didn't know there was a difference until then. So I'll check on that for you when I see them next weekend.

well, i guess it is a first. i have not seen that new of a battery die like that

Yeah the battery was bad, it was only meant to be a core i definetly told the guy when i pulled my optima out and gave him that one. The coil is going to be your main problem right now. Hey, did you get the black MOPAR valve covers that I sold with the car? I also included a spare harness with the car, amongst some other parts, hope you got those as well, and yes it's a 727. I'll check with the prior owner and see if I can get the dart head light buckets for you. The guy that bought the dart told me they were wrong. I didn't know there was a difference until then. So I'll check on that for you when I see them next weekend.

no, actually, he did NOT GET THE MOPAR VALVE COVERS OR THE HARNESS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AND WHAT IS IT ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS???????????

It's cause it wasn't, I pulled my optima yellow top out and you asked me for a battery and I gave you one of my cores. Say whatever you want, I know the truth

well, i guess it is a first. i have not seen that new of a battery die like that
Took it down to the local autoparts chain and they ran quite a few tests and said there was a slight chance to save it, but most likely, I need a new one. I may try at a local garage I know that has a slow charger first if it will save me some cash. But I think that I may just end up getting a new battery. And its not too hard to kill a battery, a friend had a Merc battery last him 3 months and now it is his doorstop to his room. I'm not arguing with you here that it wasn't as new as you said, just saying, I am probably gonna need a new one sadly

I wasn't talking to you for one, I was talking to the new owner. Free public forum, you know.

It definitely was not new, it had been sitting on the floor of my garage for 8 months or more.

It's cause it wasn't, I pulled my optima yellow top out and you asked me for a battery and I gave you one of my cores. Say whatever you want, I know the truth

you are a dickhead, and a liar. cause after i put that battery back in, it turned it over so slightly, and you said it just needed a charge. but now to find out you knew it was bad, to beat me for a battery in the deal. you said running and driving, minus the brake work, and now you tell me that you knew the batt. was dead. you are a real piece of ****, and you listed as comming with a few extra manifolds, but when i said about the other one sitting on the shelf, you got all stupid, ans just wanted more money.

same way as you telling me over the phone that the driver side trunk extention was not rusted, and that the prior owner started cutting it out, and then left it alone. that also was not the truth. there are no cut marks in it. that was just a figment of you imaginatioin.. AND LOOK, EVEN AFTER I GOT THERE, I ALMOST LEFT WITHOUT THE CAR. YOU KNOW THAT. CAUSE THE CAR WAS NOT WHAT YOU SAID, BUT AS I STARTED TO WALK AWAY, I TALKED MYSELF INTO IT. I TOLD YOU BEFORE I EVEN LEFT MY HOUSE THAT I DID NOT CARE IF IT RAN OR NOT, BUT WANTED A STRAIGHT, NON-RUSTED BODY, TO DROP THE 340 I HAVE IN IT. IT IS EITHER YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT BONDO LOOKS LIKE, OR YOU ARE PLAIN RETARTDED. AS YOU SHOULD OF KNOWN, THERE ABOUT 10 SPOTS ON THE DRIVER SIDE WHERE IT LOOKS LIKE YOU SHOT A BB GUN AT IT, AND IT CHIPPED OUT SOME BONDO THAT IS 1/4 INCH THIK. AZZHOLE

that is why i did not keep the car. for what i wanted to do wit it, it was not up to par. as you said it was

Ok let's get things clear. On the phone you said you were not that interested in the parts, and you said flat out that you did not want the carbs or the blue manifold that you wanted the orange one because of the smaller runners. Did the car run, YES, did I tell you that it needed a battery, YES, so bash me all you want cause I could care less. But don't screw this guy over and act dumb all of a sudden. You knew those bezels were wrong cause you told me to my face they were. If anyone is getting screwed it's the new owner, and your doing a damn good job of doing it!

Ok let's get things clear. On the phone you said you were not that interested in the parts, and you said flat out that you did not want the carbs or the blue manifold that you wanted the orange one because of the smaller runners. Did the car run, YES, did I tell you that it needed a battery, YES, so bash me all you want cause I could care less. But don't screw this guy over and act dumb all of a sudden. You knew those bezels were wrong cause you told me to my face they were. If anyone is getting screwed it's the new owner, and your doing a damn good job of doing it!

you are right. i knew the bezel were different, as they were sitting on the seat. but he is talking about a different bezel than you think. the bezels that were on the front seat were for the grille. they also were for a duster, but i did not give him them with the car. the bezels he is talking about is the actual bucket, and the round trim ring bezel that actually holds the headlight in

-
Back