I had to do a double take when I saw this.

-

sireland67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I would love to talk to the UAW member that installed a round head bolt in a LA motor that went into a 73 Charger.
The bolt has the hash tag markings, but is completely round, like turned on a lathe round.
And there are no tool makes on the edges.
My luck, at least it is just a core motor for one of my projects.
The motor appears to have never been apart.

AJzaw3.jpg

Tamper proof? See some odd things over the years.

I have no idea what they were thinking, I hope it comes out easy.

Maybe take an angle grinder with cutoff wheel, pop the head off. Once you pull the cylinder head off it’ll probably screw out with your fingers.

Maybe take an angle grinder with cutoff wheel, pop the head off. Once you pull the cylinder head off it’ll probably screw out with your fingers.

I really don't see how it could be in there that tight, there are no marks on any of the edges.
First attempt I am going to cut a notch across the top, and hit it with a twist impact screwdriver.
Second attempt notch an edge and try to spin it off, with an air chisel.
Third attempt I might weld a nut to the top of the bolt.
I think last resort is cut the head off.

I really don't see how it could be in there that tight, there are no marks on any of the edges.
First attempt I am going to cut a notch across the top, and hit it with a twist impact screwdriver.
Imo 1st I'd notch it and try a flat head screwdriver if that dont work I'd try to drill it a little and try an easy out. Then weld a nut. Last resort cut the head off and try to get the remaining stud loose. I have removed alot of broken bolts from working on guns mostly small scope base screws. But an easy out will always do the trick when a simple slot and punch wont! But I'm sure a head bolt has alot more torque than a scope base screw.

Maybe it's not a head bolt at all......it could be that somebody busted off the original head bolt and fashioned a plug to fill the hole???? I know that the head gasket would probably leak but if they never ran the engine you'd never know??? I don't see any way they could have torqued it???? Treblig

Maybe it's not a head bolt at all......it could be that somebody busted off the original head bolt and fashioned a plug to fill the hole???? I know that the head gasket would probably leak but if they never ran the engine you'd never know??? I don't see any way they could have torqued it???? Treblig
that makes more sense

Maybe it's not a head bolt at all......it could be that somebody busted off the original head bolt and fashioned a plug to fill the hole???? I know that the head gasket would probably leak but if they never ran the engine you'd never know??? I don't see any way they could have torqued it???? Unless it was some kind of factory thing and they had a special tool to hold it while it was torqued. Idk tho surely noone would plug the hole tho. I would hope not anyways

Unless it was some kind of factory thing and they had a special tool to hold it while it was torqued. Idk tho surely noone would plug the hole tho. I would hope not anyways

Unless it was some kind of factory thing and they had a special tool to hold it while it was torqued. Idk tho surely noone would plug the hole tho. I would hope not anyways
If it was a "factory thing" they would have used that type of fastener on all the head bolts not just one???

I guarantee it is not torqued, does not have any tool marks, also there is no way it is a fabricated plug, hard to see in the pics, but the top of what ever it is has hardness hash marks.

I think it may be an actual head bolt, that never got machined for the hex, and made it to the production line.

I guarantee it is not torqued, does not have any tool marks, also there is no way it is a fabricated plug, hard to see in the pics, but the top of what ever it is has hardness hash marks.

I think it may be an actual head bolt, that never got machined for the hex, and made it to the production line.
It's easy enough to find out of it's a plug..... simple get a chisel and a hammer and smack it a few times between the head and the underside of the plug, if it's a plug it will start to come up, if it's not all bets are off???

FYI- If it never got machined for a hex how did they install it and torque it??

id go ahead and weld a nut to it. so your grinder doesnt slip and hit the head

That’s funny.

I had a 68 coronet that had a wheel stud that was never threaded. So from day 1 till the mid 90’s when I owned it there were only 4 lug nuts on that wheel.

Just maybe the hex head part of bolt just snapped off the bolt flange?

head bolt.jpg

Screenshot_2018-06-27-15-05-38-1.png

and if it's going to break, it's most unlikely to break at the widest (strongest) section of the bolt.

I agree, the head and flange are the strongest part of the fastener, that's why you check for bolt stretch on "used" critical bolts:

ductility-image.jpg

-
Back