I have a 1967 coupe barracuda with a low serial number and shipped march 1966.

-
The problem is that if he thinks the car is rare and special then he'll be reluctant to share info as many people are with the VIN.

The fender tag would answer all questions and does not contain the VIN so no risk that someone will do bad things.

Alan

Last edited:
Oh very well could be. Back then the design teams were a few years ahead of production. They had to be. It could be a prototype or a pilot car.
Perhaps, but prototype cars would not have been built on the regular assembly line and as such would not have a fender tag, VIN,build sheet,,,hence its is really hard to prove a pedigree on those.

some photos

P1000774.JPG

P1000776.JPG

P1000785.JPG

there is only 5 digits at the end of the fender tag however I was under the impression approx 75 k were produced so other numbers were not relevant. last 5 digits a 02016. the color, the deleted spare and approx 40 years sitting with lack of info and early delivery make me have wishful thoughts. Possibly a engineer like Steve Harvey may have been involved with it ???

the car was sandblasted and repainted black approx 40 years ago. Car was a 273 2 barrel and was assigned a high value on the vin. I have other pieces and have partially restored it using a 68 318.

the fender tag has 16 stamped on it as well a sideways 11????. I have a few 69 models however I have got a lot of varied info a on 67,s as it was the first year to offer Big blocks engs. in cars to the public in barracuda.
There was no drive train in it when I got it however there was evidence some modifications were done to the eng compartment and trans.tunnel

Both vin tag pics are brutal...wheres pic of vin tag? Cover the last few digits of vin if your concerned. All those pics literally show zero relation to Petty.
Unreadable fender tags, no vin tag. You have a 67-69 notchback with a rollbar...that's all I see.
Sorry...gonna have to put more proof out there.

Wishful thinking Petty crashed his 65 approx same time and possibly he was prepareing a notch ??? I think bad santa 2 sounds good . I will take the fender tag off but it will take a bit of time probably tomorrow
Thanks for your time and consideration.

shakes the clown....I was taken a couple days ago with the guy who wanted to borrow a stroker motor car......I might have a little ptsd...but I have that feeling again.

Online decoders suck.

That said......

1967 fender tags do NOT have the VIN on them, they have the SON (Sales Order Number) - literally the number from the order number on the page in the pad used to place the original order.

The 11 is an inspectors stamp.

The D in your door lamb VIN indicates a 273 with a 2-barrel carburetor.

-
Back