I have a 1967 coupe barracuda with a low serial number and shipped march 1966.

-
best I can do using a plip phone??

IMG_0469[1].jpg

IMG_0467[1].jpg

IMG_0468[1].jpg

vin code shows 280000 out of factory but not the number in relation to barracudas?

Your assigned VIN ends in 318220.

it shows a 2 for the Hamtramck, MI assembly plant.

It also shows a 7 for the 1967 model year.

For the 1967 model year, Hamtramck built A & B-bodies.

Each body type did not have its own separate VIN sequence, so your Barracuda has the 218220th VIN assigned at this plant for the '67 model year.

(the first assigned VIN started at 100001)

To complicate that even further, these cars were not built in VIN sequence & were all mixed up by body types on the assembly lines when made.

Shakes the clown is hilarious....warped but hilarious...Florence Henderson as a prostitute lmao.
shakes the clown....I was taken a couple days ago with the guy who wanted to borrow a stroker motor car......I might have a little ptsd...but I have that feeling again.

Richard,
Since you seem to be fairly new at this, have you looked to see if the Certicard is still in the plastic holder in the engine bay yet?

And......

This is the internet.

So you have to learn to recognize who the people with less than helpful commentary are & ignore them.

I think you found Jimmy Hoffa's cuda that he special ordered and paid for with teamster money which is why engineers and Richard Petty was involved so he could be sure and get his pension from the racing he did.

Congrats on the mega rare find. I sure wish I could be so lucky someday.

Yup the car has a birthday of March 67. Be difficult to be delivered a year earlier.

Let him make up his own mind maybe??
Less helpful? Not a problem...
I'd rather be that then some uptight humorless mannequin.
Ignore them? He'll figure it out on his own there big fella. This place will be fine without you or I, so step down off your soapbox.
And......

This is the internet.

So you have to learn to recognize who the people with less than helpful commentary are & ignore them.

mymopar.com

Unless I am going blind at which point somebody should stop me!

upload_2019-12-13_22-25-29.png

CAR: Plymouth Barracuda 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 273cid 2-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: Unknown tire code
BUILD DATE: April 24.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade
PAINT: Monotone Light Blue Metallic Paint.
OTHER: Dark Blue Metallic Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS:

ABC OPTIONS:
M2: Unknown Option
R1: AM Radio

abc OPTIONS:
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)
w6: Build to Spec's for Canada

Artie, here is one I use from Dodgcharger.org.
It's pretty much foolproof with the spacing.
Surprised the Alaskan show pony hasn't put up a link to help someone out.
DodgeCharger.org -- 1967 Fender Tag Decoder
mymopar.com

Unless I am going blind at which point somebody should stop me!

View attachment 1715437530

CAR: Plymouth Barracuda 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 273cid 2-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: Unknown tire code
BUILD DATE: April 24.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade
PAINT: Monotone Light Blue Metallic Paint.
OTHER: Dark Blue Metallic Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS:

ABC OPTIONS:
M2: Unknown Option
R1: AM Radio

abc OPTIONS:
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)
w6: Build to Spec's for Canada

Bottom line is the car appears to be just another Barracuda. Nothing special. Sorry bud.

Sign up for Secret Santa, Someone will get you a camera. Canadian build may have gotten a different VIN format?

Each plant had the same sequence of VINs. They ALL started the model year with 100001, but since the assembly plant was also in the VIN there could not have been any complete duplicates. Usually the first few were pre-production, press cars, etc. Production started around Aug 1. Certain cars were only produced at one plant while others could have come from a few places. ALL '67-69 A-body convertibles were built at Dodge Main, AKA Hamtramk.

Also, the cars did not necessarily come off the line in numerical order as the VINs were produced before the car started down the line.

We got a new General Manager a few years ago ( I work for a dealership) and he got the bright idea of changing our stock number technique ..... he decided it should be the 1st letter of Make. A=Acura. M=Mercedes P=Porsche....etc
Then the year ...2019=19. Then the last 4 of the VIN
I tried to explain that we would end up with duplicates because each Manufacturer has multiple plants. He didnt believe that would happen.

GUESS WHAT ? Lol

235 is 23 = whitewall, 5 = 4 tires and a spare.
H5B = high, split bench, blue.
M2= Hamtramck Plant, it's in the 22 on the buildcard, within the VIN as mentioned above.
w6= new car service with 5 gallons, for 68 it's export to Canada
Definitely 424, April 24, 1967

Sideways number is data operators stamp, may not have that term correct, but nothing special.

Core support stamping
7-1967
2-Hamtramck
424-April 24 1967
02016 shipping order
This stamping agrees with the data plate.

Alan

Canadian build may have gotten a different VIN format?

No...with the introduction of the AutoPact in 1966, all VINs, be it US or Canada were standardized to the US system, so a car built for Canada, or in Canada, would have the same VIN system as the US of A.

From a list I have there were
47115 Barracuda through the end of April
Your car is the 218219th VIN assigned at Hamtramck for the 1967 model year.

There are no specific reports seperating the different VIN/car lines at the different plants.

Alan

Core support stamping
7-1967
2-Hamtramck
424-April 24 1967
02016 shipping order
This stamping agrees with the data plate.

Alan
Does not prove that Richard Petty did not order the car under discussion. The car was built to a sales order number, it had to be someone’s order, it may have been The King’s. Although I think it was Elvis’s.

Does not prove that Richard Petty did not order the car under discussion. The car was built to a sales order number, it had to be someone’s order, it may have been The King’s. Although I think it was Elvis’s.
I'm simply stating the facts, not trying to speculate on the potential prior ownership.

The original post and title make reference to a Low Serial Number, not even close.
Makes reference to a March 66 date I don't see a three digit number ending in starting with 3 so no idea where that came from.
Makes reference to a 280000 range sequence, don't see anything close to that (taking in account the 100001 offset)

Alan

Perhaps, but prototype cars would not have been built on the regular assembly line and as such would not have a fender tag, VIN,build sheet,,,hence its is really hard to prove a pedigree on those.

Pilot cars are built on the assembly line...

They make a run of PVP (pre volume production) cars about 6 weeks before model year launch that are supposed to be built with production tooling... All parts are supposed to be made from production hard tooling... Any parts that are not off production tooling must have an approval and be certified that the prototype part will be as good as the production part...

The purpose of the PVP builds is to test run the supplier's tooling and parts and also to test the production line tooling and fixtures to make sure that everything is ready for production launch.... This way they have 6 weeks to get any bugs worked out that they find on the test build...

-
Back