I have a crazy Idea!

-

SwinginDart74

Reaction score
Hey guys, let me know what you think of this weird idea I had last night

500 big block caddilac engine in a 74 Dart Swinger

is it just plain old blasphemy? or do think it would be a good budget ride?

engine is for sale, is runnning and comes with whole car for $150

I expect some hate mail, but do realize I would like to put a 440 in it.

this is more or less just opinions,

THAT is HOTRODDIN!

Cheap, easy, boat loads of torque! That is how all of this got started. After WWII, vets would swap what ever into whatever in the same manor your stating.

Olds rears were very popular to swing in to cars.
Power glides are still popular.
Caddy engines were in the past, have been again, and may still be done today.

The math to this is easy. $150 for 500 cubes. As long as it's running good, screw it, do it and go to Cadzilla for parts.

I say do it!! I don't know how easy it would be but it should be a fun ride. Just get some valve covers with mopar on them and 90% wouldn't know the difference anyway:) well, I'm not talking about FABO members not knowing......you just told us:)

ehhhhhhh not so much its going to cost you more than 150 bucks to put the 500 into that dart. You could do any mopar engine sb or bb for not too far off after all your costs with switching it to work with the 500. What do you plan to do with tranny,rear, and stuff...

But hey do what you want to do it is your car.

DO IT!!!!!! Screw what other people think!!!! My dad and I put a 500 Caddy in a 55 F-100. That motor kicked ***! Paint it hemi orange, throw a 440 pie tin on the aircleaner and confuse the hell out of people when you pop the hood.

Hey, IF he's handy with a welder and some metal stock, theres no problem in doing it.

If you got the skills and are not afraid to do some fabricating and engineering I say "DO IT" .
As long as it's not a small block chevy :pukerigh:

DO IT!!!!!! Screw what other people think!!!! My dad and I put a 500 Caddy in a 55 F-100. That motor kicked ***! Paint it hemi orange, throw a 440 pie tin on the aircleaner and confuse the hell out of people when you pop the hood.[/QUOTE

You sure know how to make me smile 360. :-D

Memike, I was thinking the same thing when I saw his post. Scamp sure has a way with words. I always enjoy reading his posts and replies. Keep up the good work 360scamp!!

you know, I think I will! it just sounds to be so crazy that its right, and I have the access to everything I will need to build it.

I was planning on using the origional trans from the caddy, fabbing up a drive shaft from the cad aswell, as for the rear-end, I think its basically anything goes, just as long as it can handle the torque from the 500, something about 350hp and 500ft/lbs of torque for $150 makes me get an evil grin

This sounds like a really fun swap. I helped a buddy dump a 500 into a '73 Grand Prix years ago. It was a tire-burning monstrosity.

Just for reference, the Buick, Olds and Pontiac transmissions will bolt right up. If the need for a cheap rear-sump pan and pickup should arise, yank one out of a front-drive car.

LOL @ Chryo!!!!!!!!

That may be the one truly damning part.

make sure your frame rails are good and add some subframe connectors and torque boxes...or you'll have a nice twisted chassis.

what year is it?

My `74 500 Cu In has about 200 HP, tons of torque to move the Coupe deVille smoothly down the road

Parts are expensive if you need stuff

I think it was Popular Hot Rodding before they turnned into Pro Touring Monthly that got bored and took 500 bucks to the wrecking yard and got a 500 caddy and a chevette (good god anyone else remember those things lol). If I remember right they had to sit on a upside down milk crate that was sitting on the transmission and it scared the crap out of them.

That was HOT ROD that did that. I have had the same thoughts before on the swap you are considering.

If you are starting with a low buck car, and you can fabricate I'd do it in a second.

It could be done pretty cheaply so long as you do it all your self.

Go for it.

ROB

The fuel efficent front wheel drive swaps are looking smarter to me. All those masive gas guzzling engines will be boat anchors in time.

OR....part the caddy for money to put an the big block mopar.

I say go for it. Detail the hell out of it, regasket, throw some chrome valve covers on it to fool with people and run it. Use the GM trans, and sell the remaining parts to be able to buy an 8 3/4 for rear. Cut down the stock Cad driveshaft, add dual exhaust, and go. Keep the manifolds. Headers would be a nitemare, especially in the "benefit versus hassle" category.

Hea

do it. it sounds like a very interesting build and I would love to see it piss purestes off. Besides that is hotroding.

I got a buddy that has a hearse with a 500. he just put a 750 Eddy carb on it, that with the flowmaster system that boat hauls ***.
Another swap my dad and I did for a guy was a front wheel drive big block caddy motor and suspension in a 41 ford pannel truck. The customer was in a wheelchair so we had to lower the floor of the truck and turn the rear door into a ramp so he could get his chair in so we couldn't have a driveshaft in the way.

I have a friend that has one in a camaro clip dirt track car. He's not lacking for power and the caddy motor is only about 50# heavier than a small block. the biggest problem I see in an A body is that caddy motor is wide!!! and that will be your biggest challange. I would messure it out before I spent the money to see how much of the inner fenders will have to be removed.

I NEED THAT 500..
where are you ??
i will trade you a running 440 for it...???

-
Back