I have to buy a boring car.

-
The little woman found a lease return Cadillac STX, V6, 17k miles. Paid 22k for it. Leather, heated seats, ****-ton of bells and whistles. If I had to spend much time in a car, I'd buy one of those. Gets 25ish mpgs and goes well enough if you need it to. I hated the idea, but absolutely love the end result.

Find any 3 year old lease return with low miles and you can commute in great comfort..

I personally own a 2012 Cruze with a 1.4L/Manual transmission. You have to try HARD to get under 30 mpg city. Chances are you'll average 32-34 easily with one. An eco manual would do even better

They are really cheap in the used market. There are a few things that always die on them (valve cover, intake manifold check valve), but those parts are pretty cheap too. The car does really well in the winter (buy some snow tires and it will be a tank). It's not too hard to work on.

My parents have a 2009 Malibu, incredibly reliable car and also gets great mileage.

Whatever I buy it’s going to have a megawarranty.
Consider buying through CARMAX and get their extended warranty. They stand behind it.
Listen to Ddaddy , as comfort is a big deal. I also drive 4 to 5 k miles every month. In my old truck I would have leg issues and sciatic nerve pain after a few hours. New truck , not so much.

Whatever I buy it’s going to have a megawarranty.

With that kinda mileage? Better believe it.

Does Hyundai/Kia still have to 10/100 warranty? Just about everything except brakes was covered when I worked at Hyundai. Hell, I replaced a blown headlight under warranty at 99k

Well, I had no issue with CarMax and the car I got was exactly what it was claimed to be. 2 years of driving it and I have no complaints.

Perhaps his experience is limited to what happens in that particular store.

cars are transfer all over. his place is one of them that preps them for other lots..

with what they pay they sure aren't getting techs with a lot of experience thats for sure.

New vw tdi's.

My bro inlaw had a 2015 jetta with a 6 speed standard and tdi. Like 1100kms to a tank. Suprisingly zippy! Not econobox either, decently optioned out his was. Always said id never buy a vw. But that car totally changed my mind. North america really needs to hop on the small car diesel band wagon.

So basically I got a new position at my job that will require me to spend a lot of time behind the wheel. I have never in my life owned a front wheel drive vehicle and most of them have been V8 powered. Now I need something with four doors that gets good gas mileage and not a single car that fits that bill is appealing to me at all. What would you all recommend? Oh and I am trying to keep this below 30k.

Also can a mod please fix my awful typo in the title.
what's wrong with a $10,000 74' 4 door dart and have an extra $19,999 for gas ?

I enjoy turning wrenches and I want to keep it that way by not having to do it on my main source of transportation.
if your going to insist on using logic we are not going to have any common point of reference :(

I had 10 magic wagons and then down-sized - I'm on my 3rd Journey (2010, 2014, 2017) and can't figure out where the bad reports are coming from. Of course I get the V-6 and touring package, but still under $30K US.
Handles well, lots of room, fast and comfortable. Have had NO major issues on any of them.

I had 10 magic wagons and then down-sized - I'm on my 3rd Journey (2010, 2014, 2017) and can't figure out where the bad reports are coming from. Of course I get the V-6 and touring package, but still under $30K US.
Handles well, lots of room, fast and comfortable. Have had NO major issues on any of them.

What in earth is a magic wagon?

The new Toyota Camry and Corolla are nice and Kias have came along way!! I'm looking for a newer vehicle too.

Stay away from VW. Very expensive to work on. Parts are expensive. Get a truck. 4 doors and a bed. Hopefully they will pay you mileage.

I drove from Moscow OH to Peebles OH and back, everyday for 18 months.
From there, I called on customers.
The very best thing I ever did for myself was buy a comfortable car.
I have become a fan of the 200C's and the Grand Caravans.
The 200C was a nice riding car that was easy on gas. It looked nice and was comfortable to drive.
The Caravan was also damn nice and the best part about it was I could put people in the back seat and not feel bad about it.
I'm currently in a Grand Cherokee. Not really a big fan. It's ok, but kinda disappointed with it.

For some background, I own a business that racks up miles. You have to erase emotion, and use logic. This vehicle will be a tool to help you support your family. Brand loyalty doesn't put food on the table. Racking up a thousand miles a week is something most people don't understand.

Quality modern vehicles can rack up 500k+ without much drama. A vehicle that gets driven everyday will rack up crazy miles no problem. My vehicles get oil every 10k, trans fluid and filter every 30k, and differential/transfer case every 60k. At every 150k they get a "mechanical douche" whether they need it or not. This entails ball joints, sway links and bushings, tie rod ends, shocks and struts, pads, rotors, calipers, ect. Basically about $1,000 in parts and an afternoon of spinning wrenches. Basically everything involved in suspension, steering, and brakes. Also factor in new rubber every year. You don't want 20's, or a bunch of bells and whistles to break. Stick with base models. Avoid anything AWD, Bluetooth enabled *** warmers, anything from Europe(sorry TDI guys, I've owned them), Subaru (seriously? They are horribly unreliable money pits), and any "economy" domestic cars.

Find a website with a good search tool. You can figure out really quickly which vehicles can rack up real miles. For vehicles that get driven 50k a year....300k is just getting broken in. A vehicle that needs to see the doctor before 250k miles is poor engineering to me.

Last edited:
With that kinda mileage? Better believe it.

Does Hyundai/Kia still have to 10/100 warranty? Just about everything except brakes was covered when I worked at Hyundai. Hell, I replaced a blown headlight under warranty at 99k
Yes, kia still has the 10/100,000 mile warranty. I bought a 2016 kia new near 2017 for 12k with zero miles on it. Well, other than the test drive miles. It was the one that they had advertised at "one at this price only" 6 speed manual, 4 door hatchback. We fold down the back seats and our 156 pound great Dane goes every where we go easily. Has to bend down to hang his head out. But it has alot of room for 5 adults, killer milage, and nowadays comes with a factory turbo. Handles town/freeway no problems. Has 3 modes, sport, comfort, normal performance. Satellite radio, power seats, windows, etc. I bought it for the milage, warranty and price. Figured it would be a turf. I was surprisingly pleased with being wrong about it, its quick, roomy and cheap on fuel. My son borrows it all the time for road trips, and he is 18. Plus 5 star safety rating, 15 air bags or something like that. Cheap to insurance.

-
Back