I have to buy a boring car.

-
My first sales car was a Buick Century - lots of jokes about 'rental car' and 'grandpa'...when that got tired, I switched to a Chrysler 300C, then a Charger, now a Hellcat Charger.
The more you sell, the less you care about gas mileage :) (Do you not get a car allowance and mileage?)

My first sales car was a Buick Century - lots of jokes about 'rental car' and 'grandpa'...when that got tired, I switched to a Chrysler 300C, then a Charger, now a Hellcat Charger.
The more you sell, the less you care about gas mileage :) (Do you not get a car allowance and mileage?)

I do get an allowance but I am trying to stay within that and mileage is included in it.

From my 150 mile round trip today to visit my Dad in the 300C.

85% highway, 15% local surface streets...

72495930-0A5A-448A-8C43-8E5AA7BCA7E4.jpeg

I agree with Ddaddy. Don’t sell yourself short of comfort. The 300’s and Chargers are great highway cars and very comfortable. My 14 RT gets 27 highway and averages 19 mixed with most of that being city. This past spring I spent a lot of time in it running from St. Louis - Springfield Mo. -Indianapolis and then reverse in a weekend. It was never short on comfort.

Wife loves her 2012 grand caravan. My brother bought the work van version for his A/C business. I have a Chevy HHR daily driver thats starting to get a bit long in the tooth, but was looking at the 2018 Chevy Equinox as a same sized suitable replacement. Those gage dials in the new 300 look mighty tasty too. Since most of your time will be behind the wheel, vuy whats going to be comfortable to sit in for hours on end, as well as be pleasing to your eyes, since you will be looking at it a lot throughout the day.

We inherited my father in laws 06 Subaru Outback. The bride drives it most of the time, but it is one great little car. Easy to work on, great mileage, with the rear seat folded down I can get all of my equipment in it, including my upright bass, and it’s awesome in the snow. It’s also very peppy, and although it doesn’t have a turbo, there is a turbo version of it out there. It only has just over 100k on it, and will probably last forever, or at least till the bride puts it in the ditch somewhere!

They say over 90% of Subaru’s 10 years and older are still on the road today, and I believe them!

we have only ONE car out of four in our family that's NOT 10 years old or older.

we have only ONE car out of four in our family that's NOT 10 years old or older.
Same here
But I think I need to get me a mid 90s vehicle...because I'm missing that decade
71 duster
87 bronco
08 charger
14 CX9

I know. I always wanted to favor American too. Until I bought a used 89 Toyota pickup. Other than oil and filters, front disc brake pads, a battery, maybe a starter (not sure), and a timing chain at 140k, it was trouble free. After that, I thought maybe I should change the 4 speed trans grease. I pulled the drain plug and it looked like honey pouring out... clean as brand new. When I sold it at 201k, it still had the original trouble free clutch.
My only drivable vehicle now is a 2005 Ram 1500 I bought new. 101k and good so far.
I have been a mopar fan since my first car. But I have been concerned about Chrysler for years.
On the other hand, my wife bought a BRAND NEW Toyota Matrix XRS in 2001. It ate a clutch in 6000 miles!!!! I took it into Toyota and all I got was "CLUTCH ISN'T GUARANTEED " I said wait a minute, it's only 7 months old and it only has 6000 miles! "CLUTCH ISN'T GUARANTEED " .I said (in front of his entirely full waiting room) ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT YOUR PIECE OF SH*T TOYOTA ISN'T AS GOOD AS MY DODGE NEON SITTING AT THE CURB WITH 135,000 MILES ON IT?" "CLUTCH ISN'T GUARANTEED". I knew I was fighting a losing battle so just told him "fix it". When I picked up the car I flipped him my credit card and paid the $800.00 and didn't look at the bill. I stashed it in the glove box and didn't think about it until 4 years later when we were trading it in on our Dodge Caliber R/T AWD (which we are still driving with almost zero issues). I read the invoice and it said "Customer states the clutch slips in 5th and 6th gear, checked internet " COMMON PROBLEM " If I'd would have read that NO WAY would I have paid. Anyway nobody will ever convince me that a Toyota is a good car.

On the other hand, my wife bought a BRAND NEW Toyota Matrix XRS in 2001. It ate a clutch in 6000 miles!!!! I took it into Toyota and all I got was "CLUTCH ISN'T GUARANTEED " I said wait a minute, it's only 7 months old and it only has 6000 miles! "CLUTCH ISN'T GUARANTEED " .I said (in front of his entirely full waiting room) ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT YOUR PIECE OF SH*T TOYOTA ISN'T AS GOOD AS MY DODGE NEON SITTING AT THE CURB WITH 135,000 MILES ON IT?" "CLUTCH ISN'T GUARANTEED". I knew I was fighting a losing battle so just told him "fix it". When I picked up the car I flipped him my credit card and paid the $800.00 and didn't look at the bill. I stashed it in the glove box and didn't think about it until 4 years later when we were trading it in on our Dodge Caliber R/T AWD (which we are still driving with almost zero issues). I read the invoice and it said "Customer states the clutch slips in 5th and 6th gear, checked internet " COMMON PROBLEM " If I'd would have read that NO WAY would I have paid. Anyway nobody will ever convince me that a Toyota is a good car.

I am done with Toyota due to them not honoring their warranty. When a sensor broke out of warranty the dealer just had to replace the almost new battery because the voltage wasn't high enough for their scan tool to program to sync. They sent the old battery home, it was 0.01 volts less than the new battery. They might have got me for a battery but they will never get me for another Toyota.

We inherited my father in laws 06 Subaru Outback. The bride drives it most of the time, but it is one great little car. Easy to work on, great mileage, with the rear seat folded down I can get all of my equipment in it, including my upright bass, and it’s awesome in the snow. It’s also very peppy, and although it doesn’t have a turbo, there is a turbo version of it out there. It only has just over 100k on it, and will probably last forever, or at least till the bride puts it in the ditch somewhere!

They say over 90% of Subaru’s 10 years and older are still on the road today, and I believe them!

If it's like most Subarus, its on borrowed time before it's time for a head gasket set, water pump, new valve covers because the bolts snap off, and probably a few CV axles and the world's most horrible to replace rear wheel bearings due to the stupidly long bolt going through both lateral links that rusts into place.

You may like the car, but I wouldn't touch those, a Mini Cooper, or a VW/Audi car with a 40' pole. Especially with over 100k on the clock.

It's no 03-07 Honda Accord 2.4, My co-worker has an 04 with 430k and an 07 with 280k on the original unopened engine and transmission. Those things are just rock solid if you change the oil and rebuild the front end every 150-200k.

My current daily driver is a 2017 Honda Civic ex-t with a manual. Fun car to drive with the turbo engine. Gets spectacular mileage too. Driven Civic's for 20+ years with nothing but regular maintenance. Leased a 2013 Toyota Corolla for the wife and regretted the decision from day one. No comparison to the Civic in my opinion.

Well, I'm a bit biased.... but I love my Taurus.

(Of course, it's a modded out SHO... so that could have something to do with it.)

If you're not looking for power, you can find new leftovers in that price range, and low mileage ones cheaper. I picked up this one (2013) with $8k in upgrades, Stickered at $47k w/53k miles, for $17k.

37146487_10100192955228671_2700316067221209088_o.jpg

I bought a '13 Impala with 150,000 miles cheap. Salesman's car. Highway miles, and serviced regularly. Looks and drives like new. $3,500. These, and several other cars in it's class, regularly go an easy 250,000 miles, if they are kept up. Not to recommend you purchase one with this many miles, but you might look at some program cars.

-
Back