I love my new ugly *** air cleaner !

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
Well I've been running and Edelbrock open element air cleaner for some time. But as I get older I find that prefer quiet comfortable cars over loud, noisy cars.

With the open element air cleaner, I was constantly annoyed by the loud sucking sound of all that air entering the carb, even under light acceleration, and at wide open throttle you get the WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH sound too.

Today I bought an ugly beat up dual snorkel air cleaner. I know, they never put dual snorkel air cleaners on A-bodies, and probably never on smallblocks.

But the car is so nice and quiet now ! I love it, almost no intake noise at all.

I'll clean it up, sand it down, and give it a new coat of black wrinkle finish paint over the weekend, so it looks decent.
Probably keep the Edelbrock on to put on it when at car shows, but for driving, the dual snorkel will be on it from now on.

Attachments

• S5004911.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 830
  • S5004910.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 832
Never use them or not, these air cleaners are great, and I never liked pulling all that hot air
from around the hot air being stored on top / bottom of the hood, I like the dual better for looks, looks smart JMO .. Congratulations are in order here if you ask me :cheers: perfect :glasses7:

My demon was two tenths slower with the 71 aircleaner, with the two oval cut outs. The guys that run F.A.S.T. Lift the lid up about a 1/4 to 1/2". If that maters at all ..

I'm still young so I get a kick out of the extra noise, however my current setup the exhaust is so loud you can't really hear the intake noise haha.

I actually have a factory dual-snorkel air cleaner I borrowed from my cousin just like that. However it's painted orange as it came off a '72 440. I run it in the colder months because of the warm-air induction which helps a LOT when starting the car dead cold; it's a 360 with Magnum heads and Air-Gap intake so that's the only way to get any heat in there until the rest of the engine warms up which takes a solid 10 minutes; with the warm air I can get going in about 3 if I feather the gas a bit and that's only when it's below 40* or so outside.

I love the loud air cleaner sucking noise now that I can hear it because I fixed very leaky headers. but I'm young so discount me. lol

Honestly, I think you should strip and polish it to match the valve covers and clear coat it so it stays shiny. That would look really good.

Fun fact: Lil Red Express trucks came with a dual snorkel air cleaner and they had a 360. they also had cold air intakes 8)

I like the looks of a closed factory air cleaner.
I have a 72 trap door one for my Duster.
In fact if I ever find an extra trap door air cleaner I would put it on my old truck and get rid of the cheap summit 14" open.

I'm 56 now and never get tired of the roar of a performance sounding car most of the time cant even hear my radio playing.
But I'm a weekend warrior with my car, during the week in traffic I prefer my luxury when driving

I'm still young so .

I'm getting old but I need the noise to keep me awake, and remember how great it used to be!!!!

I'll tell you what makes one HELL of a lot of noise, is the Holley 950 EFM throttle body!!!

I did a similar thing to a friends car many years ago....fitted a second snorkel to the lower air cleaner shell.
I know it's not a Mopar product, but the the paint is Dodge Viper GTS Blue.

Attachments

• IMGP0553.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 508
Looks GREAT. I myself, have the 383, and with that a bit of noise from the exhaust.. the air intake noise isn't even heard, really, but that is after-all a big block so, it makes a lot of heavy "breathing" out the tail pipes so....I am mid 30's and I don't like the really "loud" noise of a tail pipe or intake, BUT the sound of "power" to be is a whole different ball game.....Not obnoxious, but enough to say heres a Mopar BB V-8 and its coming through.....I know ALL of you know the sound I'm trying to speak of here......

Never to old. I'm 71 and the sound is great, "also loud pipes save lives".
But the only one that maters is you, set it up the way you want it.
Have a great day.

Last summer the Ministry of Transportation were handing out $200 fines for non original open element air cleaner installations, as well as missing pvc valves.
...i like the sound and looks of original unsilenced air cleaners.

Last summer the Ministry of Transportation were handing out $200 fines for non original open element air cleaner installations, as well as missing pvc valves.
...i like the sound and looks of original unsilenced air cleaners.

Don't give the American liberals any new ideas...:wack:

I wish i can hear the intake over my exhaust... i wonder what it sounds like.

My brother sanded his, bought the magnum emblem, then painted it in wrinkle finish so it looked OE. I think he actually made the dual snorkel himself from two air cleaner housings. It looked awesome when it was done.

Make sure you run manifold vacuum to the evap shutters! They are designed to close when there is no vacuum, ie shutdown so the fuel bowls dont evaporate into the air. With no visible vacuum lines, I see a choked air cleaner.

Make sure you run manifold vacuum to the evap shutters! They are designed to close when there is no vacuum, ie shutdown so the fuel bowls dont evaporate into the air. With no visible vacuum lines, I see a choked air cleaner.

Hmmm, are you sure about that? I don't know myself how they operate for sure. But I can tell you that with out any vacuum lines hooked the doors in the snorkels are wide open.

Looks good. Now you can get some duct and route the air intake out of the engine bay for some cool air.

Hmmm, are you sure about that? I don't know myself how they operate for sure. But I can tell you that with out any vacuum lines hooked the doors in the snorkels are wide open.

Time for me to eat some crow......The evap shutter that I was reffering to might not even be a Mopar dealio: If the vacuum pots are directly over some preheater ports under the snorkle, they are called "heated air diaphragms" or other manufacturer name. They are used with a thermo switch to pass or block a vacuum signal to the pots. If the car is cold, the thermo switch is open and manifold vacuum is allowed to close the shutter, diverting intake air from the preheater hose thats coming from the hot exhaust manifolds. When it gets warm, the vacuum is weened off, allowing the pot to relax and open the valve to fresh cool snorkle air. If you disconnect the vacuum hoses, the relaxed diaphragms will be open to cold snorkle air, my bad. On my truck, this is a bimetal spring function, and my evap shutter (looks just like the Mopar single snorkle air cleaner part) is between the preheater hose inlet and the air filter, closes when I shut the motor down, ie. no vacuum. It doesnt shut down during WOT as the spring action is very light. Supposed to stop a carb fuel bowl from evaporating, a closed system...OOPS!

Nothing ugly about that air cleaner! Everybody's got differing tastes. Sometimes removing the aftermarket flashy chrome can look a lot better. Not to mention that that factory air cleaner is better constructed and a lot more engineering went into the design of it than into the design of that generic styled aftermarket Edelbrock.

-
Back