I need a cam for a 69 dart gt 273 2bbl

-

aktattoo

Reaction score
Looking for cheap near stock replacement. for fathers day gift. I'm not looking to buy a TC valve springs intake or carb. what kind of options can I go with??? Definite tight budget.

I see this from summit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-cs-645/overview/make/dodge
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:181
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:192
Duration at 050 inch Lift:181 int./192 exh.
109lsa

also looking at this

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k6900/overview/make/dodge
Basic Operating RPM Range:1,200-5,000
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:204
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:214
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.421 int./0.444 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees):112

and not trying to F up the balance of things and not sure if the second cam is too much for the stock setup. 30 over 273 in a 1969 dart gt convertible stock converter and gears... I don't know mopars well so I need a little help bringing his baby back to life.

what kind of lift can I get out of the stock springs?

Come on guys. Whaddya' think? Crazy advertised duration but mild @ .050. Not too much lift for stock springs. Lobes must look like an egg. Keeps the valves open a long time without opening them very far. Old school grind. worth a try?
tmm

Go to NAPA and get e Melling. It's like .443/.465 214/224 @.050 on a 114.

Sticking a cam in a 273 with a 2bbl,stock converter,gears just doesn't make sense.
It's the total combination that counts. Add a 4bbl,headers,and a cam,and that will bring it back to life.

Oh hell Johnny, stop bein such a killjoy. Let him put the 509 in it. LOL

Go to NAPA and get e Melling. It's like .443/.465 214/224 @.050 on a 114.

I have to agree. Why buy an aftermarket performance part and pay shipping
if close to stock will work for you. If you buy a aftermarket cam you would need to buy their recommended springs, etc..

The stock cam specs are around 240°/395" . I think the Melling cam
that Rusty suggested is too big and may get you in trouble with a 2 barrell and stock converter. The Melling is bigger than the HP273 cam which is 248°/425". Look for one with close to those specs and you should be fine. After all, You are just looking for a replacement cam and don't have all the goodies to turn it into a race machine. Sometimes maximum horsepower isn't what we need. Your mild 273 may also benefit with more timing and some mods to the advance curve inside your distributor. There's some good threads you can find here by typing
"distributor recurving" in the search engine. tmm

Then drop back to that 201/214 one from Summit. It doesn't matter which cam you go with, the springs should be changed regardless. Not changin springs is like hirin a workin gal and not usin a rubber.

I'd use the second cam listed. The split duration will help the engine become more efficient and create more power in a modest way while retaining a good RPM band to drive in. It'll deliver excellent mileage and idle well.

The 1200 starting RPM is just off of idle, like when you leave the curb side to go get some burgers or grocery items. It is not like a dead spot with no power.

I'd use the second cam listed. The split duration will help the engine become more efficient and create more power in a modest way while retaining a good RPM band to drive in. It'll deliver excellent mileage and idle well.

The 1200 starting RPM is just off of idle, like when you leave the curb side to go get some burgers or grocery items. It is not like a dead spot with no power.

this is where my thought was, but I haven't ever built a small block or anything with a 2 barrel...

does anyone have the stock cam specs on this car? or know of an actual stock replacement.

Engine Setup and cam Lifters Lift Duration Duration @ .050
273 2 barrel through 67 Mechanical 395/405 240/240
273 2 barrel 68-69 Hydraulic 373/400 240/248
273 4 barrel Mechanical 415/425 248/248

I'll say this and leave you to it. If you think that cam I first recommended at 214/224 @.050 on a 114 is too big for a stock converter, you been sellin tools too long. lol

I would agree on the 2nd cam. My father has it in a stock 71 318. Sounds good and has good low end tq (for a 318) Good sound, fuel mileage and throttle response. Perfect cruiser cam

Come on guys. Whaddya' think? Crazy advertised duration but mild @ .050. Not too much lift for stock springs. Lobes must look like an egg. Keeps the valves open a long time without opening them very far. Old school grind. worth a try?
tmm

I had a similiar experience with a Sig Erson cam. Had same @.050 as other "milder" cams, but much more "advertised duration ". When I installed it, it had WAAAY too much overlap for my application (too lumpy and low idle vacuum). It had advertised duration near 305/310 range, but the same .050 as comparable 284 duration cams. It came in a 340 in my 68 cuda when I bought it, and I soon replaced it with a MP .484 284 cam and it ran much better. I tried to put it in a 318 for a Charger for street use and it fell flat on it's face.

When picking out a cam, you have to consider BOTH advertised and @.050 durations. This will give you an idea of the "ramp speed" which is how fast the cam opens/closes off of the seat. A cam with "slower" ramp speed (bigger duration with same @.050) typically will have more overlap and be less "streetable". Not many manufacturers list duration, Mopar does, but you can calculate it by using the intake centerline and lobe seperation and calculate the intake/exhaust lobe centers then calculate the intake/exhaust open/close by using the advertised and .050" duration. A quick simple way to compare one cam to the other without doing all of the calculations is to subtract .050 duration from advertised duration and divide by 2. That will tell how fast one cam opens the valves compared to the other choice you are considering. Also keep in mind that the quicker the valves open/close will also affect the valve & seat durability. The faster the valve closes, the harder it closes and will wear the valve seat and valve faster than the slower one. Like everything, you have to balance the two and keep your application in mind. Street vs strip...

lol This is a gift for fathersday not my car. I'm all for playing in my car but I want close to stock for this app. The car will NEVER see over 4000 rpms. But if he taps the gas and it will give him a little tire chirp he'll have a hard-on for a month. thanks

If your not going to put new springs
in with the new cam your wasting your
time and money.
All you'll do is make a lazy revving engine worse.

The 2 bbl will be fine but why not change it out while
you've got the manifold off.

If I could only change 2 things on a old 273 it would
be valve springs and an ignition upgrade.
HEI would do it.
Probably be the best bang for your buck.

lol not my car... I have been trying to get him to get an hei an intake and some head work for years. but the lifters and cam have a lot of wear from cheap *** oil. I am doing this as a favor. NOT MY CAR... I'll look for stock replacement.

Tell him if you change the cam and chain
you'll already have it clear down to the springs
and you should change the valve seals or it
might start burning oil.
Replace the springs while your there.

Tell him if you change the cam and chain
you'll already have it clear down to the springs
and you should change the valve seals or it
might start burning oil.
Replace the springs while your there.

lol Yeah I know and have explained it numerous times to him. I wish I could but he is a stubborn old dude.

I'll say this and leave you to it. If you think that cam I first recommended at 214/224 @.050 on a 114 is too big for a stock converter, you been sellin tools too long. lol

Now be nice! I like the specs of your cam I just don't think it the right one if the original poster wants a "stock replacement" cam that he asked for help with. I know how my 273 acts with a smaller cam and I can guess how his dad's car would act with a larger one. See my point? Tmm

lol it's one of those guys. :banghead: what s cya?

Cover Yo Azz!!

I'd go w/2nd Summit cam & some 340 valve springs.On a 273 it'll sound good & be ok on the low end............. Mike

-
Back